Thais "losing face" to foreigners - bus sign gets a lot of online attention!

webfact

6 hours ago, Celsius said:

I understood everything on that sign except KM8 and I don't speak much Thai. These signs have been there as long as I remember.

The question is why are rich, wealthy foreigners taking a non airconditioned baht busses in Bangkok?

Good one !!!

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

And me as well.

I wonder how many of the laughing posters here could translate English into Thai accurately with all the correct tones. Not that many.

I admire the guy for trying but I think a qualified translator may have helped.

All very well for you to defend the inept English translation but let's not forget that this is a sign at a major bus station and there is no excuse for authorities getting this so very wrong. Thais like Japanese are notoriously poor learners of English, sharing the same belief that the culture and language are so unique that they should not have to learn other languages. I am sure that in a western country where other languages are required for official signs that the translations are accurate. There is also far less excuse for so badly misspelling place names. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Purdey said:

This is Thailand so I expect some issue with the English language. What I do not expect is that many native English speakers have a problem with English spelling and grammar. How many times do I have to see the word "your" instead of "you're"? England will "loose" the world cup? What is the "affect" of these rules?

Perhaps before blaming non-English speakers we should look at our own usage. Moreover, translators don't always help. Saw this Welsh road sign and thought, why didn't they hire someone bilingual?

ngcb14

<deleted> there are many foreigners living and teaching in Thailand who could be employed for translating official signs. It's not that difficult to get it right!

• Like 2

The OP is a very poorly-crafted article, in my opinion.

With a modicum of effort, and a dash of creativity, it could

perhaps have been turned into something half-amusing, and

prompted some witty responses!

My lovely Thai lady-friend wanted to go to the "Wine and Steak" restaurant. Its sign shows a bottle and glass of wine. But she couldn't remember where it was. "No problem" I said, I'll google it. Couldn't find it despite many tries and combinations, so gave up. Several days later we found it by accident. There it is, she said. And there indeed was the sign with the bottle and glass, and restaurant name, Why Steak.

8 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

At least they're trying, not like some. 

Geeze, there's always someone complaining about anything these days. 

Totally agree.  Ok, these approximations of prononciation of Thai words with Latin characters aren't great.  But at least the responsible people are trying.  I'm quite sure that it's written also in Thai characters.  Try finding signs in anything other than English in the USA.  Quit complaining.  If they're interested enough in Thailand such that they're reading AsianNow, then perhaps those complaining could learn how to read Thai.  Took me two months of studying, but it helps me every day, and I earn a lot of respect from the Thai people when they see that I can read Thai.

2 hours ago, Spock said:

Japanese are notoriously poor learners of English

Another uneducated comment. I have been involved in teaching English in Japan and the average Japanese high schooler is 100 times more proficient at English than members of this forum.  Their issue is solely with pronunciation as they don’t have easy access to English speakers.  But after a few weeks of one on one they are amazingly proficient English speakers.   

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, carlf said:

Totally agree.  Ok, these approximations of prononciation of Thai words with Latin characters aren't great.  But at least the responsible people are trying.  I'm quite sure that it's written also in Thai characters.  Try finding signs in anything other than English in the USA.  Quit complaining.  If they're interested enough in Thailand such that they're reading AsianNow, then perhaps those complaining could learn how to read Thai.  Took me two months of studying, but it helps me every day, and I earn a lot of respect from the Thai people when they see that I can read Thai.

Don't lose sight of the fact that it's the locals or "Thai netizens" who are complaining.

Somchai was here ....... again!

The Lord knows everything and the Thais know even a little more; unable to ask a native speaker to give 'em a helping hand in proof-reading a sign. 

Pattaya, Pat Thaya, Badtya, Battaye, Bad Thaeeya ......
Jomtien, Jomtien Beach, Chomtien, Chom Thian, Had Chom Thien ......

But at least they got the submarines sorted now .......... they come with Chinese engines and Thailand is launching customer (for the engines); maybe there is a Mandarin manual to it ....... 

5 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

why would you do that unless they're offering a couple grand USD for your translation services? only monkeys and English teachers work for peanuts.

Walk into any pub in town and there are plenty who would do it for another beer. It would only take a minute or two.

6 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

why would you do that unless they're offering a couple grand USD for your translation services? only monkeys and English teachers work for peanuts.

Ever heard of "community spirit"?

I am always wary of those who self-righteously criticize English teachers. I bet you would secretly love to do it but don't have a degree. 

11 hours ago, Celsius said:

I understood everything on that sign except KM8 and I don't speak much Thai. These signs have been there as long as I remember.

The question is why are rich, wealthy foreigners taking a non airconditioned baht busses in Bangkok?

Oh, what it must be like to be rich AND wealthy. I'll have some of that. ????

3 hours ago, kuzmabruk said:

Another uneducated comment. I have been involved in teaching English in Japan and the average Japanese high schooler is 100 times more proficient at English than members of this forum.  Their issue is solely with pronunciation as they don’t have easy access to English speakers.  But after a few weeks of one on one they are amazingly proficient English speakers.   

I also taught English in Japan, though to adults rather than high schoolers. My experience teaching in Japan was also in large classes, where students were fearful to speak, afraid they would make an error.  For all the hours spent in school and in the workplace, Japanese spoke the language poorly. The same could be said for Thais. Every child spends 3 hours or so a week of classes studying English, but compared to Cambodians, have not made the kind of progress with oral English that their hours of classes would suggest they should have done.