Worms on "Saba" fish - they're OK if cooked but nasty in raw fish

webfact

image.jpeg

Sanook reported on a post by a doctor from the Parasitic Disease Research Center of Suranaree University of technology.

A clip showed a Saba fish covered in parasitic worms. 

The fish had been bought by someone in the south from a department store. 

When they opened the package at home they were shocked. 

Dr Natkhapatch Rattanaphitoon was interviewed at his clinic in Korat where he said that the creature in this case was the anisakis roundworm.

If they are consumed in raw fish they will cause stomach ache, nausea and vomiting one to three days after eating.

If they have been cooked they are not dangerous, as in this case of "pla saba" that is usually fried. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-09-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Fishing on camping trips in northern Ontario, Canada with my father and grandfather, we would catch catfish that were infected with lots of little black worms. You could see them moving around when you prepared the fish.  My dad and grandfather said “No problem. We just make sure they are well fried. Cooked at high heat all the way through. And after frying, you couldn’t really see the worms anymore either. 
    Tasted great drizzled with a little lemon juice….never got sick or infected. 

1 hour ago, Catoni said:

Fishing on camping trips in northern Ontario, Canada

I grew up going on fishing trip in the late 50's, 60's and early 70's with my Dad to the Rio Grande river West of Big Bend National Park.  We never saw worms or parasites of any kind.  Of course we always skinned our catfish.  Man, I miss those days.

5 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

Or just batter and deep fry, and serve with chips ????

Then you can't see the worms and they are just extra protein.  Now doubt wormy saba is endorsed by the WEF.  "You'll eat bugs and be happy."

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

If they are consumed in raw fish they will cause stomach ache, nausea and vomiting one to three days after eating.

If they have been cooked they are not dangerous, as in this case of "pla saba" that is usually fried. 

Count me out....