Second Booster - Thoughts on whether it is advisable or not?

Longwood50

I have had two Astra Zeneca and one Pfizer with the last one about 6 months ago.  My GF has had 3 Pfizer also with the last one about 6 months ago.  With Covid not being breaking news each day, what is the general consensus on if it is advisable to get yet again another booster.  I am 73 but in good health, no health issues at all.  My GF is 51 but also no health issues.  

Personally I have decided 3 is enough... and the current strain is not to be feared like the earlier ones. That said, Western Countries are giving out 2nd boosters, but perhaps they have access to newer vaccines that work well for the Omicron variant. That is another reason I am not seeking a 2nd myself here... I would prefer a modern omicron effective one. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

""With Covid not being breaking news each day, what is the general consensus on if it is advisable to get yet again another booster.  I am 73 but in good health, no health issues at all.""

Posts like this never cease to amaze me.

"73 in good health no health issues at all" - does not make you protected in any way from 100's of illnesses. But vaccines DO protect you against many of those same illnesses.

"general consensus"? - On a Pattaya internet forum? Why not ask advice on Twitter...much more scientific? <deleted>, the 'general consensus' is surely what the medical authorities say. They are not doing all this booster stuff because they are bored.

Do you think an annual flu jab is a good idea? If so, if you accept that advice, why not just accept the advice on Covid vaccines from the same medical establishment?

Trust social media advice or trust medical authorities advice? Good luck to you if you choose the first one

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

I see precious little being published about its advisability at this time. 

COVID: EU warns 'completely new' strains possible this winter

Amid concerns about a new wave of infections this fall and winter, the European Commission urged member-states to start rolling out COVID booster shots as soon as possible.

"The urging comes after the EU's medicines agency approved vaccines from Moderna and BioNTech-Pfizer that have been updated to tackle the omicron subvariant."

"The measures include prioritizing adapted booster shots for higher-risk population groups, as well as trying to close coverage vaccination gaps for those who have not yet received a full dose or first booster — particularly among children who are now eligible for the jab.

Countries have also been urged to maintain vaccination capacities by either reactivating vaccination centers or having general practitioners administer jabs."

https://www.dw.com/en/covid-eu-warns-completely-new-strains-possible-this-winter/a-63006769

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

I was hoping that the public forum who have the advise of the medical authorities.  I see precious little being published about its advisability at this time. 

So, you believe "the public forum" of the internet?

Why "precious little"? You mean "previous little" in your mind? The whole point is that the entire medical community is recommending this. 

Or yu can believe YouTube  good luck

• Like 1

My woman was part of a Siriraj trial in which she had her blood sampled each month after the jab (she got three jabs).  The test was to measure the covid anti-bodies in her blood.  I was amazed at how quickly the anti-body count reduced month on month so that by the time her next shot was due her count was barely above baseline.  She is 65.  I am aware the response in different people will be different.

It convinced me to get each jab (booster) the minute it became due.  I'll continue to get them as long as they are available.  I'm 69 and in reasonable health, not overweight or a smoker.  Yet I'm scared of contracting covid as for all the stories going around that the latest version is mild there are plenty of stories out there that contracting covid is bad, even deadly especially in older people.

No, I don't live my life under a rock.  Just go about my normal day to day business taking normal precautions.

Edited by lujanit
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Both my mother (84) and uncle (78) have just had their 5th covid-19 shots. They are happy about it. I have had 3 shots and just invited for 4th shot (no thanks). Both of them on Moderna 5th shots were flu like (I had Moderna as 3rd shot no issues). They never suffered before. 

How many here would take 3rd, 4th or 5th covid vaccinations?

Edited by soi3eddie

To answer the OP:

3 shots give you good and long lasting protection from death or critical illness.  (The protection against infection - without serious illness - vanishes pretty fast, as another poster has seen from his wife's antibodies).

But of course,  you still have a certain risk of serious illness. This risk is halved by a second booster.  (Talking about people over 60 or 65  - the Harvard study that the Florida Standard misleadingly misquoted was about people in their 20s).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1