Marrying a 17 year old Thai girl in the village

Adumbration

14 hours ago, Adumbration said:

This is one issue that I frequently discussed already with my GF, long before this lastest news.  I have explained to her that in most countries it is the responsibility of the older brother to protect and take care of his little sisters.  Certainly not the case in Isaan.  

Even if the old guy can’t support his 17 or 18 year old new wife and her family….. at least having enough for his beer and cigarettes will take care of those two important things. 

18 hours ago, NativeBob said:

My point is: even 17 years thai girl still has a mind of a child, unable to sort things rationally. Sorry to say that but its just a dumb kid. And not just a kid, but rural dumb kid from remote village. What consent?

Old fart lured her into "You show me yours I'll show you mine" game.
Disgusting!

Mate,

1. This is a country of adolescents. You are gonna have to look hard to find anyone with a higher mental age, especially in the villages.

2. Lured? Something tells me this bird - like many - is going to be very good at choosing blokes for their assets (her reason for choosing him), marrying for the dowry, then leaving them broke before doing the same thing over and over again as many times as possible.

You don't think she is doing this for love, do you? There's not a lot of innocence around these parts. You see all the 18 year olds on dating websites looking for guys and their ages range is like 40-60, lol. Are they being taken advantage of? Gimme a break.

I think the 17 year old needs a more mature man than a 58 year old....What she really needs is a 63 year old Pattaya man like me...A 17 year old wife would make me very happy.....I could even send the the 58 year old cigarette and beer money every month so he did not miss his future wife...

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

The problem is that as a 58 year old he still can't take care of himself. Needs to "borrow" money to buy consent of the girls parents, the sinsot, the wedding party. Then getting a couple of kids which he can't provide for too. Your GF and her sisters need to tell him he won't get any money and find a job or other business. Funny that he does have money to get drunk though.

The locals here in the villages of Isaan can get drunk daily without money changing hands at the time of the transaction.

This is because their 'purchase' is recorded in the shops ledger to be settled at a later date.

Usually when money is sent or when relatives come back to visit and then settle the account.

18 hours ago, NativeBob said:

My point is: even 17 years thai girl still has a mind of a child, unable to sort things rationally.

And for your information, this part of the brain doesn't fully develop in all humans until about 25 years old (in males) and a few years younger in females.

I'd love to see you rush to the aid of all the 22 year old farangs who come here and get savagely preyed upon by the 32 year old Thai birds (I mean vultures).

Anyway, hasn't this Thai woman already rationally decided that she'll marry him for his stable income and assets? Lol

19 hours ago, Stocky said:

It's consensual, she's above the age of consent (15) and the age to marry (17), the parents are happy - there are no problems.

It is statutory rape, period.  It should ruthlessly enforced, especially in a society  based on glaring inequality.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Hummin said:

I thought locals and foreigners did not apply to same law? 

Moral issues? There is plenty if you have any emphasis with people in need and what drives them to make such decisions. 

The OP is about a Thai man.

I'm pretty sure a farang couldn't legally marry a 15 yo Thai girl, but I can't quote the relevant law.

7 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

if it was me i'd Just let them get on with it, and stay well away from it all, up to them. 

Not My Problem would be my answer. 

This is in no way my problem.  Will not effect me one bit.  I have never given any of the GFs family a single baht.  And they have never requested it.  My GF has, and makes, her own money. The older brother is not a bad egg.  He is just a regular Somchai and he has been alone most of his adult life, never married and no kids.  He lives in the family home with mum and dad but that relieves my GF and her older sister from that obligation.  He also built a big new kitchen and bathroom at the back of the house with his own money (his life savings in fact). 

I have been here a very long time, speak fluent Thai, and dated a good deal of Thai girls.  Many years ago I dated a stunning 18 year old for a couple of months but it was just too nuts. Her parents were well aware of the situation because I met her in their restaurant when she was working as a waitress.  I very carefully checked her ID from the get go and she had only just turned 18 by the way.  All of the arguements about not old enough mentally at 17 to properly understand and give consent of course still apply to an 18 year old, so I cannot cast the first stone in that regard.

I wish the brother all the best, I am sure he is having lots of fun, not just with his future wife but enjoying the scandal and being the bad boy of the tiny village for once in his life. 

Let us also not overlook the fact that many of the girls in these remote villages get married off at 15.  Perceptions are relative, so in the tiny milieu of the village 17 could be seen as left on the shelf. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

This is in no way my problem. 

And yet you started this post, but I do understand it seems its your GF problem and she needs to discuss it with you,

so you need our expert advice to help with that. ????????

Edited by brianthainess

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Only by the semi-literate, no English language teacher would find it acceptable.

I was talking about English as it is spoken, you saw that. And that, of course, defines correct English. Not what's printed in old grammar guides and what's taught by old English teachers. Looking down on the common people who slowly shape the language day by day as 'semi-literate' is a bit Professor Higgins, isn't it? I'm telling you that 'would of' is now common parlance. Therefore it's correct, as is the alternative. I'm as sorry as you, but I'm not in denial. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

This is in no way my problem.  Will not effect me one bit.  I have never given any of the GFs family a single baht.  And they have never requested it.  My GF has, and makes, her own money. The older brother is not a bad egg.  He is just a regular Somchai and he has been alone most of his adult life, never married and no kids.  He lives in the family home with mum and dad but that relieves my GF and her older sister from that obligation.  He also built a big new kitchen and bathroom at the back of the house with his own money (his life savings in fact). 

I have been here a very long time, speak fluent Thai, and dated a good deal of Thai girls.  Many years ago I dated a stunning 18 year old for a couple of months but it was just too nuts. Her parents were well aware of the situation because I met her in their restaurant when she was working as a waitress.  I very carefully checked her ID from the get go and she had only just turned 18 by the way.  All of the arguements about not old enough mentally at 17 to properly understand and give consent of course still apply to an 18 year old, so I cannot cast the first stone in that regard.

I wish the brother all the best, I am sure he is having lots of fun, not just with his future wife but enjoying the scandal and being the bad boy of the tiny village for once in his life. 

Let us also not overlook the fact that many of the girls in these remote villages get married off at 15.  Perceptions are relative, so in the tiny milieu of the village 17 could be seen as left on the shelf. 

At 17 she is over the hill, all washed up, a has been....lol

That's pretty sad if this is really the case.......17 should be the starting line not the finish line....

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

STOP THE  PRESSES ...teenager having sex

old farang jealous ????

You sound like a real genius; "having sex" isn't the primary issue here. OP is about marriage, of a 17 years old girl to a no hoper What will be her future? Shouldn't she be thinking of finishing high school, go to University and build a life for herself?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

You sound like a real genius; "having sex" isn't the primary issue here. OP is about marriage, of a 17 years old girl to a no hoper What will be her future? Shouldn't she be thinking of finishing high school, go to University and build a life for herself?

Do you know how much it costs to go to a good school and Uni here in LOS.......????

How is a poor girl going to do that.....?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Go to university!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do tell how a Thai village girl of limited means can do that?

2 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

... a 17 years old girl to a no hoper What will be her future?

That never happens either ... just another day on planet earth.

Although, they may surprise everyone, as all thought I was a LPOS when young, well, I still am, but that didn't stop me from retiring early.

I am not Thai not of Esaan or village community.

Their culture continues often reinforcing poverty. The green revolution possibly US stationed there impact adversely on the culture also the enterprise of local girls in bar culture.

when education and sufficient food happens. Children will have options. Poor rice farmer is common.

the poor people are cheap labour to produce wealth for wealthy. Myanmar people occupy employment and many improve life opportunities. In Thailand.

sad Thailand is unsupportive of rural poor rather keep poor for cheap labour.

sex increased poor population. Educated young thais I know not rush towards family.

interesting

RT