Marrying a 17 year old Thai girl in the village

Adumbration

On 9/21/2022 at 11:38 PM, Adumbration said:

I also just discussed with the GF the risk that the girl will take off a soon as she gets the sin sot.  Her brother is well aware of this...and has told the GF that if she does take off it is ok because the sinsot will not be a large sum and he has already had his time in the sun.

...where the sun don't shine!

On 9/23/2022 at 6:29 AM, Adumbration said:

Well for the doubters I am pleased to inform that the Pukan took place this morning.  It was held under a tree on a patch of red dirt on top of a collection of grass mats.  No food just some water in old coke bottles and some lao khao.

The groom is no oil painting.  Very thin and drawn face with short back and sides hair cut and wing nut ears.  The bride is slim, pretty, lovely smile, nice complexion with tan skin (not white or black) but (in the words of my own GF) looks 14 not 17.  She also still has the school kid bobbed hair cut which does not help.  The ceremony was conducted by my GFs mother no monks.  There was about 35 people in attendance including the girls parents of course.

The girl was beaming and smiling the whole time from ear to ear so certainly not under any duress.

In addition to the original 10K paid to the brides parents an additional 10K in sinsot was paid and....get this....a new pair of "genuine" Levi jeans for the brides father.  The jeans were already in the groom's possession as they were sent over to him by another brother working abroad.  The brides father saw these and wanted them absolutely...in fact the jeans would of been the deal breaker.

A plate was passed around during the ceremony and those in attendance each put one or two hundred baht in it as a gift to the newly weds.  My GF intends to transfer 2K to them but has not yet done that.  

So it is done and dusted now...and I have the photos and video clips sitting here on my computer.  

For those of you still looking for "the one" here in Thailand it would seem that purchasing a few fishing nets and a couple of wooden canoes is a clear path to success.

I'm glad that story has come to a likeable conclusion.

Now, about those pictures you promised us . . . ? ????????

To all those people who have brought "morals" into this highly entertaining thread : Welcome to Thailand and good Luck in imposing your "morals" on the Thai populace .????????????

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, thedivezone said:

I'm glad that story has come to a likeable conclusion.

Now, about those pictures you promised us . . . ? ????????

To all those people who have brought "morals" into this highly entertaining thread : Welcome to Thailand and good Luck in imposing your "morals" on the Thai populace .????????????

Are you attracted to teenagers ?

If pictures were to be forthcoming we would probably have seen them by now.

I would be curious to know however what the OP's wife meant when she said the bride "looks 14 not 17".  Was this meant as a compliment on her complexion, or catty speculation that her age may have been inflated to avoid scandal?

The reason I ask is because Thai women are often keen estimators of age, particularly of other women.

Edited by Gecko123

On 9/28/2022 at 5:13 AM, Gecko123 said:

If pictures were to be forthcoming we would probably have seen them by now.

I would be curious to know however what the OP's wife meant when she said the bride "looks 14 not 17".  Was this meant as a compliment on her complexion, or catty speculation that her age may have been inflated to avoid scandal?

The reason I ask is because Thai women are often keen estimators of age, particularly of other women.

Yes.  You are not getting any photos.  I told you if you did not believe me just stop posting on this thread. Simple right?

The girl is 17.  She is now living full time in my GFs parents house.  She is quite useful in the kitchen for her age apparently, and so that has come as a bit of a relief for the GFs mum who is getting on.  I joke with my GF about what she does all day asking if she watched a lot of cartoons. She told me that the new bride heads out with her brother in his fishing boat and helps him to set and gather the nets and sort the fish for sale.

To me the girl does not look like a child.  She looks like a pretty young teenager.  She has a lovely smile and olive skin.  She would look a lot more mature if she grew her bobbed hair longer.  She finished school years ago but maybe the bob is a lot more practical in the village.

On 9/22/2022 at 9:24 PM, Gecko123 said:

In my opinion that is really twisted reasoning and shows a very poor understanding of why statutory rape and sex with minors is against the law.

That statutory rape is an American thing, isn't it? Most countries IMO take the attitude it's  rape, if unwilling, or it's either legal, or not legal depending on age, which can vary from early teens to late teens.

In Thailand if parents agree, legal age is 15. It is probably younger in other countries.

One should not judge everywhere by American standards.

On 9/22/2022 at 9:27 PM, transam said:

Every living thing on the planet starts doing their thing when nature tells them, I think with me, it was about 14, how about you....?  ????

I was at all male boarding schools from age 11 and went farming in the wop wops after I left school, so I missed out on all that.

I think I was lucky as didn't get trapped into marriage and was able to join the military and travel the world. I prefer the world to marriage, kids and divorce.

• 11 months later...
On 9/21/2022 at 11:01 AM, BritManToo said:

Age of consent in Thailand is 15.

So no legal or moral issues.

Not true. The age of legal consent is 15 if he/she is in her own home when he/she consents or if outside the parents give consent. Otherwise it is 18 

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2022 at 5:14 PM, dallen52 said:

The legal age is 15 in Thailand.

I've seen arrangements at 14 with consent given.

A small payment made.

Like an engagement.

Just gotta love her morals.

Or lack of.

Marrying for all her right reasons.

Interesting, it reminds me that my next vacation in Thailand is long overdue 😄

• Like 1

Younger than 15 out in the villages can be ok if approved by all parties. It happens, but not sure what central Bangkok authorities have to say about it. I've read 15 is the legal age for adult behaviours. I don't like it. Too young in my opinion. Should be 28.

17 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Younger than 15 out in the villages can be ok if approved by all parties. It happens, but not sure what central Bangkok authorities have to say about it. I've read 15 is the legal age for adult behaviours. I don't like it. Too young in my opinion. Should be 28.

I agree 🙂

Only read the OP, as too silly to read any replies.

Just chiming in to point out, the OP was complaining about all the silly threads started of late...

... and yet ... nuff said.

With that said, where can I buy a couple inexpensive canoes 🤣

What's the age of consent ?  But more importantly, will they be serving alcohol today ?

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

On 9/21/2022 at 10:53 AM, Adumbration said:

My GF has again asked me when we are having our pukan ceremony (this issue comes up about once every year) but has been ignored by me, for well over a decade now

Good, same here. But she isn't asking. A while ago we have agreed we'd have one on March 19, 2029, our 20th "first  booboom anniversary", if I am still alive. But just throw a party, with  civilised music, and no  Sin sot, etc. B.S.

Edited by Ben Zioner

• 2 months later...
On 10/28/2023 at 3:21 AM, TimeMachine said:

I share your opinion that 15 is too young. I think that is below the age of consent in most countries, I also question the validity of the approval by all parties, especially the young girls involved. Do they really have a choice or a voice in the matter?

On 9/25/2023 at 1:36 PM, Jaggg88 said:

Not true. The age of legal consent is 15 if he/she is in her own home when he/she consents or if outside the parents give consent. Otherwise it is 18 

Age of consent is 13 if she's your wife.

On 9/21/2022 at 10:53 AM, Adumbration said:

Has several boys and men in the village that want to marry her, but she has choosen her brother...get this... because he has a stable income with his fishing boats

Just imagine what a 16 year old would settle for.... some candy and 200b allowance. No wonder there are so many "experts" on consent laws on aseannow 

On 10/28/2023 at 11:08 AM, KhunLA said:

With that said, where can I buy a couple inexpensive canoes 🤣

What's the age of consent ?  But more importantly, will they be serving alcohol today ?

Here is one we prepared earlier.

image.png.0ed7f563500d60d2c2ccb289a3e07cba.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Not that unusual in darkest banorkland - although I've rarely seen such a big age difference (17/58). The young girl will purely be thinking of 'support' and the old guy, well good luck to him.  Given that neither of them are likley to be 'educated' I don't think they will have any converastional problems due to the age gap - neither of them is likely to say much more than 'pass me the rice teerak'.

Old man will get his nightly BJ before passing out on Lao Khao - young girl will spend her evenings watching Korean love stories on her phone and wondering why they never happened to her.

10 years from now, she'll be a widow with 2 or 3 kids to feed and the demands on your gf will step up a gear.

That's life in rural Thailand - when you're taught to accept your lot in life, you usually heed that advice.

On 9/21/2022 at 11:23 AM, FritsSikkink said:

Funny that he does have money to get drunk though.

With Lao Khow (however you spell it) or See Sip which is another name for it, you don't need much money 40 Baht tends to be enough for most Thais in my area

On 9/21/2022 at 11:01 AM, BritManToo said:

Age of consent in Thailand is 15.

So no legal or moral issues.

I agree. but not so sure about the moral part. 

My wife is almost 20 years younger than ,me. though often she makes up that age difference by being 20 years more mature than me :laugh:

But the chronological difference still exists. I love my wife, and we are very close, She is my best friend and I her's.,and  it distress me to o end that I will dies and leave her all by herself for a long time. 

This man is 58 years old, never mind that he might not be able to perform while she is still at her prime. 

This is not a long term relationship for her, with long term consequences , especially if they have any children. 

45 minutes ago, sirineou said:

it distress me to o end that I will dies and leave her all by herself for a long time. 

It's normal for men to die first.

Normally while hunting or in war.

on the other hand .....

It's normal for women to die first

Normally giving birth.

36 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's normal for men to die first.

Normally while hunting or in war.

on the other hand .....

It's normal for women to die first

Normally giving birth.

It is but  20-30 yeats first is a long time

This guy would probably be dead in the next 20 years

The girl would still be 37 perhaps younger

Interesting to see this old thread of mine bumped because I was talking to the GF about her brother just yesterday while we were travelling down to Phuket.  I very seldom raise the topic of her family, and she also.  But we were talking about all of the great fish I have been catching this year and GF said her brother would be much better off if her were chasing the expensive ocean fish that I catch, instead of the 50 baht a kilo fresh water ones he nets up in the village.  While on the topic of older brother I asked about the young wife and how things are going.

Young wife is still living with the GFs brother, in the GFs mum and dad's house.  Mum and Dad live there also and one other late teen (son of GFs older sister who is working in Korea), whom Mum and Dad have been taking care of now for about 7 years.

GFs mother reports young wife is bone lazy and gets out of bed after noon on most days.  She does not work, but there is little to no work in the village unless you sell something (in a little larger neighboring village).

No kids yet or news of pregnancy so she must be on the pill (and taking it).

Their shared interests amount to going to morlam in the next village and getting on the sauce.

Young wife finished with school now and has let her hair grow out.  I saw a recent photo and can confirm that she is a very attractive girl.  Slim and fit looking with a beautiful face and complexion.

Can also confirm that older brother's only income is still from net fishing in the nearby lake.  His total catch sells most days for between 200 and 300 baht.  This is his only income.

Very interesting to note that older brother is also apparently unhappy with the relationship because the young wife does not do enough around the house.

I pity the GFs mum (now in her 70s).  GFs dad (80s) is now quite ill with limited mobility, so she is taking care of him, plus the older brother, his teen wife, and the older sister's teen boy.  

I have only been to the GFs village once a long time ago.  I ask her every year if she wants to go visit, especially since her dad became ill (multiple surgeries), but she is not interested one bit.  I understand why.  She would be straight into the grinder to take care of everybody.