Health Insurance recommendations for 5 month trip (visa exempt entries)

bbi1

Current age: under 40 years old.

Looking to spend ~5 months in Thailand entering 45 days visa exempt with 30 day extension, then flying out to another Asian country for a few days then doing another 45 days visa exempt with 30 day extension.

Looking for inpatient coverage only with sufficient coverage for the top private hospitals.

1. Any insurance companies & good insurance policies people here recommend looking at to cover these ~5 months?

2. Would it make any difference to the insurance company if you are not on a visa, but coming in visa exempt?

3. Since I'm only staying for 5 months all up, should I be looking at a travel insurance policy or a health insurance policy?

4. Does anyone have experience with the WorldTrips Atlas Travel Insurance and any thoughts?

Edited by bbi1

Actually, I think I should have 3 months free travel insurance coverage from my credit card company if I book a return flight using their credit card, but that would only cover 3 months of the 5 months, or how good the coverage really is. I'm also not sure if I will need to pay the hospital first for an inpatient stay, or if I just hand over the insurance details and the insurance company will pay the hospital directly.

Edited by bbi1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You want travel insurance not health insurance. If you're UK look online gocompare.com comparethemarket.com moneysupermarket.com

Would travel insurance & health insurance generally offer the same level of cover if needed to be admitted as an inpatient at a hospital & would they generally pay the hospital direct, rather than having to pay the hospital and claim back from the travel insurance company?

Previously when I was spending up to a year in Thailand I got health insurance from a broker in Thailand. I was under the impressing (not sure if I'm right) it's best/cheaper to get insurance from a broker in Thailand than from western countries (I'm from Oz). At that time I had a policy with ACS Acs-Ami (dot) com which covered Thailand and also a few other neighbouring countries.

Edited by bbi1

If getting regular health insurance it is best to get through a broker - but not best (IMO) to get a Thai issued policy.

Travel insurance can be gotten through a broker as well, and might best be done through a broker in your home country.

Some travel insurances will make  direct payment to hospitals and some will not. Often it depends on the expected size of the claim.

It is important to note that travel insurance covers only emergency care and that the insurer has the option to either pay for it where you are OR to pay to bring you back home, depending on how stable your condition is and the relative costs of these two options. This often comes as a shock to people wanting to stay in Thailand. It is essential that you have health care access in your home country and that you are prepared to go back home on short notice if necessary for health care (the insurance would pay any additional costs that entails).

OP for travel insurance it will not matter whether you are there visa exempt or on tourist visa, as long as your dates match up with what you said on thei nsurance application and yo uare nto actually living full time in Thailand.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

OP for travel insurance it will not matter whether you are there visa exempt or on tourist visa, as long as your dates match up with what you said on thei nsurance application and yo uare nto actually living full time in Thailand.

Ok, thanks. What about for regular health insurance from a broker in Thailand? Will it matter if coming in on visa exempt and extensions?

Edited by bbi1

Apparently health insurance policies are always 1-year contracts.

Anyone have any experience with this ACS Globe Traveller Plan (France) if this is any good and possibly sufficient? From here: https://www.aainsure.net/travel-insurance.html

ACS Globe Traveller Plan (France)

Some of the highlights at a glance:

Please note: pre-existing conditions are excluded from coverage.

Premiums

30 days | 40 EUR
60 days | 80 EUR
90 days | 120 EUR
180 days | 300 EUR
270 days | 450 EUR
365 days | 600 EUR

• Applicable from age 1-64.
  • Choice out of 3 different coverage levels ranging from 150,000 to 500,000 EUR for accident/illness/Covid-19.
  • Approved for TR, Non-OA, and Non-O Visa.
  • ACS will issue a separate 400.000/40.000 THB or 100.000 USD/3.000.000 THB certificate upon request.
  • No Deductible and No Waiting Periods, coverage from Day 1.
  • Direct billing service with any private hospital in case of hospitalization.
  • Medical expenses caused by a Motorbike accident are covered for motorcycles up to 125cc.
  • When applying online, your Certificate of Insurance will be issued within minutes via email.
  • The policy can be extended upon approval.
  • All ages the same rates but rates can differ depending on your country of departure and country of destination.
Edited by bbi1

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Ok, thanks. What about for regular health insurance from a broker in Thailand? Will it matter if coming in on visa exempt and extensions?

It won't matter but regular insurance vosts a great deal more. And you'd have to get a 12 month policy. So hardly makes sense in your situation. 

On 9/22/2022 at 10:07 AM, Sheryl said:

travel insurance covers only emergency care and that the insurer has the option to either pay for it where you are OR to pay to bring you back home,

That's an overgeneralization.

It depends on the jurisdiction relevant for the insurance contract (European laws are generally more in favor of the consumer than Anglo-Saxon laws) and on the wording of the policy (eg the travel insurance of the Irish subsidiary of Allianz contains a clause to this effect,  whereas  Germany's biggest travel insurer doesn't have this clause). Even if by law the insurer doesn't have this option he may very well try it.

10 hours ago, Lorry said:

That's an overgeneralization.

It depends on the jurisdiction relevant for the insurance contract (European laws are generally more in favor of the consumer than Anglo-Saxon laws) and on the wording of the policy (eg the travel insurance of the Irish subsidiary of Allianz contains a clause to this effect,  whereas  Germany's biggest travel insurer doesn't have this clause). Even if by law the insurer doesn't have this option he may very well try it.

I have never seen a travel policy which guaranteed treatment abroad vs bringing the patient home and AFAIK there is nothing in any country's   insurance regulations that requires it.

If an insurer were proposing something not in the patient's best interests medically then there would be recourse but there is none on grounds of personal preference. 

Case in point: someone with travel insurance broke his leg. Complicated fracture requiring noth immediate stabilization/  casting and subsequent surgeries. His insurance paid for the initial care and then  insisted he return to his home country for the rest, with the insurer paying the added travel costs (change of return flight date with upgrade to business class to better accommodate the cast etc). The patient was unhappy because he wanted to stay in Thailand and get all his care there. He didn't however have a case and would not in  any  jurisdiction because what the insurer oroposed was medically safe and met their responsibility.

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I have never seen a travel policy which guaranteed treatment abroad vs bringing the patient home and AFAIK there is nothing in any country's   insurance regulations that requires it.

You are mistaken.

on grounds of personal preference

Exactly,  this is possible.

He didn't however have a case and would not in  any  jurisdiction

As I said, there are jurisdictions where he would have a case.

There were legal proceedings in cases like this (patient in the US where we are talking 6 or 7 figure USD sums) and the insurer lost. 

The normal way, of course, is that the treating doctors refuse to declare the patient fit to fly. That makes things very difficult for the insurer. But some insurers don't care,  and cases like the one you describe happen all the time.