How bad is mosquito bite in Bangkok?

topswijaya

5 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Contracted from location outside of Bangkok. Malaria can take up to 1 year before it comes out. I had Malaria but it wasnt active in me for several months after returning from Indonesia.

Dengue is not the same as Malaria, 2 completely different things: Know The Difference Between Malaria and Dengue | Medanta

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

It found that a sterilisation program of the world’s most widespread disease-carrying mosquito, the Aedes aegypti, could prevent the insect from producing offspring.

https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/news/2021/10/new-australian-research-could-help-eradicate-the-spread-of-mosquito-borne-disease/

A research college in Oxford has developed a vaccine that has great results against malaria a virus is something bit difficult to sort out. 

If the mosquito is infected with dengue it doesn’t matter what part of Thailand you get it. Maybe not as common in Bangkok compared to other places.  But anything can happen. 
Even if it doesn’t have dengue.  Anyone can react differently to bites.  Some people even get insect bites,  but have no skin reactions 

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

A research college in Oxford has developed a vaccine that has great results against malaria a virus is something bit difficult to sort out. 

Yes, they have been working on the malaria vaccine for a long time.

Oz has the right idea, prevention is always better than a cure.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

If the mosquito is infected with dengue it doesn’t matter what part of Thailand you get it. Maybe not as common in Bangkok compared to other places.  But anything can happen. 
Even if it doesn’t have dengue.  Anyone can react differently to bites.  Some people even get insect bites,  but have no skin reactions 

Quite, nothing to stop the mozzie getting on the bus.

I got dengue from a bite in a Pattaya hotel.

8 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

Not so likely if someone contracts Dengue No.2. get to a hospital asap.

9 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

You don't have to tell me I got Dengue in Sukhothai where I live and almost died.

The doctor said I was lucky because I had contracted Dengue2 the worse strain apparently but he said one good thing is you have immunity because you survived. ????

I would say it was the most nastiest virus experienced I have ever had in my life. 

The bad news is your immunity is only to the one type of Dengue you had; you can still get the other three!

By the way, regards the earlier posts re Bangkok.. I got Dengue in KL a few years ago..  and I hadn't left the city centre for a long while.  They also have dengue outbreaks in other conurbations eg Singapore.  I can't see Bangkok being any different.

2 hours ago, SportRider said:

The bad news is your immunity is only to the one type of Dengue you had; you can still get the other three!

By the way, regards the earlier posts re Bangkok.. I got Dengue in KL a few years ago..  and I hadn't left the city centre for a long while.  They also have dengue outbreaks in other conurbations eg Singapore.  I can't see Bangkok being any different.

No bad news mush you are corrrect to some degree but my amunity is for DENV2 so the other 3 as doc said would make me feel a bit rough like maybe a hangover,  I take note of my doc not people on this forum.

Also bites if any from ordinary mosies do very little to affect me I never use mosie repelant anymore.

Edited by Kwasaki

8 hours ago, Kwasaki said:
10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

When you post something outrageously stupid - you really need to put an emoticon after the comment (i.e. ???? implying you are being sarcastic) - otherwise some may believe you actually believe such stuff.... 

Well l'm not sure what your on about but after uncontrollable vomiting of blood and writhing with extreme aching pains I did die at the early stages and a paramedic guy who I still see about brought me back to life before they were able to electrocute me with those iron thingys.

The funny thing was I  remember vividly my wife shouting the first words I heard coming back she was shouting several times my name saying you can't leave me come back, come back.

I replied apparently OK stop shouting I ain't going anywhere. ????

My comment was in response to photoguy21 claiming Dengue and Malaria were the same... 

His comment has since been removed (and my response).

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

You don't have to tell me I got Dengue in Sukhothai where I live and almost died.

The doctor said I was lucky because I had contracted Dengue2 the worse strain apparently but he said one good thing is you have immunity because you survived. ????

I would say it was the most nastiest virus experienced I have ever had in my life. 

I spend half my (Sukhothai) time on the farm, and in the suburbs  (Ban Gloo-ay).

I never have a problem with mozzies on the farm but other family members do,

however, in the suburbs they continually go for my arms and ankles,  especially near dark areas indoors, or near pot plants...  especially at the moment, with bodies of water lying around after all the rain.

My BEST mosquito repellent is my (Bvlgari) Cologne..  Instead of a squirt on my neck, I squirt a fine spray on both (bare) arms and on my ankles.

I'm then "mosquito free" and I smell pretty!

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Which one. ????

Good question. Definitely not the serious one, I had a rash, extreme lethargy , horrible heavy head and aching limbs from head to foot. I had no idea what it was at that time, then I did some research and the symptoms matched with dengue.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/22/2022 at 4:11 PM, Kwasaki said:

Malaria is not a virus, folks! 

And, lest my post be removed for lack of the facts, I'll take it simply from my dictionary:

malaria |məˈle(ə)rēə|
noun
an intermittent and remittent fever caused by a protozoan parasite that invades the red blood cells. The parasite is transmitted by mosquitoes in many tropical and subtropical regions.
[The parasite belongs to the genus Plasmodium (phylum Sporozoa) and is transmitted by female mosquitoes of the genus Anopheles.]

How does one develop a "vaccine" for a parasite?  If they can, let's see if they can next develop vaccines against trichinosis, tapeworms, hookworms, scabies, amebic dysentery, etc.

All a vaccine supposedly does is enhance the immune response--which is done by helping develop antibodies against the foreign substance.  It does not confer bullet-proof-skin superpowers, and parasites can certainly still gain admittance.  Being active foreign bodies, parasites will automatically show up on the immune system's radar without any need for a vaccine to train the immunity.  Not being a virus, it is not antibodies needed to fight the parasite, but rather leukocytes (white blood cells/macrophages). 

See more evidence HERE.

Around the year 2000 there were a lot of cases in Bkk of dengue in the Japanese community, generally living in the Phrom Phong area.  I found it disturbing that this was hardly mentioned in the media.  There were also a lot of cases in Rio de Janeiro but it wasn't until the people in the wealthy neighborhoods started getting it that it got mentioned in the press ("OMG! TV star gets dengue!"); I guess that's how these things are handled.

There is dengue fever, and then there is dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF), and supposedly a whole lot of variants.  That DHF is the really nasty one, if you're lucky you'll only get the one that feels like a miserable flu that lasts for a week.

Don't believe claims that it only happens in densely-populated urban areas or rural areas, it can happen anywhere.  I had a gf who lived in the sticks and got it twice -- tough hillbilly gal her!

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Malaria is not a virus, folks! 

And, lest my post be removed for lack of the facts, I'll take it simply from my dictionary:

How does one develop a "vaccine" for a parasite?  If they can, let's see if they can next develop vaccines against trichinosis, tapeworms, hookworms, scabies, amebic dysentery, etc.

All a vaccine supposedly does is enhance the immune response--which is done by helping develop antibodies against the foreign substance.  It does not confer bullet-proof-skin superpowers, and parasites can certainly still gain admittance.  Being active foreign bodies, parasites will automatically show up on the immune system's radar without any need for a vaccine to train the immunity.  Not being a virus, it is not antibodies needed to fight the parasite, but rather leukocytes (white blood cells/macrophages). 

See more evidence HERE.

I don't profess to be good at grammar so stop speed reading and read my post again, I did say a virus is harder to deal with. 

The vaccine is for Malaria.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1