Why does Pattaya get flooded so easily?

juiso

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Buakhao is a classic example, when they put drainage in a few years ago the pipes were obviously too narrow, diameter of 12 inches, they are either very thick or just don't want to fix the problem 

The soi that I lived next to off Buakhao was lower than Buakhao, so every time it rained there was a flood up to m'bike axles. It was quite entertaining watching the guys on m'bikes that thought they could get through by going really fast into the flood ( they couldn't ).

I doubt they fixed that yet.

43 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The soi that I lived next to off Buakhao was lower than Buakhao, so every time it rained there was a flood up to m'bike axles. It was quite entertaining watching the guys on m'bikes that thought they could get through by going really fast into the flood ( they couldn't ).

I doubt they fixed that yet.

those side sois may still flood but they worked on the worst sois, soi 21 fitted big drains all the way down, dug up whole soi, seems ok now

• Like 1

I was wondering if the new drainage piping needs some or more air release valves fitted. All of the water and air get dragged into the pipes and flow will be terrible if the air can't be released during the flow down to the out fall zone. Entrapped air seriously hinders water flow through a closed pipe if the pipe is full.

Secondly, is the inlet to outlet of the concrete or steel pipe runs been surveyed to make sure there is a negative gradient all of the way to the out fall zone.

Thirdly, instal trash screens that can trap trash and be cleaned, so that trash doesn't build up in the piping or concrete channels.

Too many Years of poor infrastructure, with little or non attention being paid to one of the fundamentals about building.

Of course, all kinds of " Boys Games " have also been played out, and the end result is what we have today.

And nothing has been learned, so the problem going forward is going to get worse.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 5:41 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Buakhao is a classic example, when they put drainage in a few years ago the pipes were obviously too narrow, diameter of 12 inches, they are either very thick or smart and just don't want to fix the problem 

The plan is working, next 15 inch followed by 18, 20 etc. An ongoing money generator, win win!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I was wondering if the new drainage piping needs some or more air release valves fitted. All of the water and air get dragged into the pipes and flow will be terrible if the air can't be released during the flow down to the out fall zone. Entrapped air seriously hinders water flow through a closed pipe if the pipe is full.

Secondly, is the inlet to outlet of the concrete or steel pipe runs been surveyed to make sure there is a negative gradient all of the way to the out fall zone.

Thirdly, instal trash screens that can trap trash and be cleaned, so that trash doesn't build up in the piping or concrete channels.

Please, stop making sense! TIT!

On 9/22/2022 at 7:41 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Buakhao is a classic example, when they put drainage in a few years ago the pipes were obviously too narrow, diameter of 12 inches, they are either very thick or just don't want to fix the problem 

At least they are learning then as the pipes they just fitted on soi 15 between Bukhao and 2nd road were at least 1.5m in diameter

2 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

At least they are learning then as the pipes they just fitted on soi 15 between Bukhao and 2nd road were at least 1.5m in diameter

Rather than solve the problem first time they just keep digging up the road to put in larger pipes. I saw that on Beach Rd in the 90s.

Nice little earner for someone.

2 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Many years ago Chonburi city was much the same as Pattaya, until they put in these drains. 

I see them now being put on the main road between Chonburi and Bang Saen.

large-size-square-concrete-manholes-installed-construction-site-draining-storm-water-main-road-civil-constrution-179098249.jpg

22 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

They laid similar on beach road, at least half blocked by the time work was finished

I reckon the biggest issue is the poorly repaired sections of road. 

These temporary road repairs just break up and make their way into the drains.

The road gang with their hot ashfalt, bitumen repairs, shovels this ashfalt into the pot holes in the road and a week or two later it's disappeared, down the drains. 

12 minutes ago, sandyf said:

They would fit quite comfortably inside the square ones.

Mmmmm, ????

That's debatable. 

I could stand up in the round pipe, not sure if I could stand up in the square. 

Maybe our knowledgeable members can make comment. 

Would it be possible to put a square drain (peg) in a round drain (hole)?

On 9/23/2022 at 7:00 AM, jacko45k said:

Because most of it is built on low lying land that was once swamp.... and now, being fully built up, the water has no where to go to and no path to get to the sea. Buakhao mean white lotus, and a lotus is often called a water lily.

Finally a sensible answer. There are no pipes big enough to drain that much water quickly enough to prevent flooding. Some years the streets hardly flood at all. This month it happened more often than usual. It's better than having empty damns, like in 2020. If not for covid and no tourists, there would have been very serious water shortages. Better we have water and suffer a few flash floods from time to time.

• Haha 1