Time To Get Serious Again

Ijustwannateach

I have been inspired by Ajarn (see his thread) and have cobbled together a loose program of non-punitive exercise and dieting for myself, to become more ambitious as it becomes more successful. My beginning plan:

1. Get to the gym at least every other day. Do some weights. Run/walk for 90 minutes at any speed I can maintain as long as I reach that time. As I get faster and better I'll set a distance goal instead and cut down on this time component substantially. At the moment I'm burning well over 1000kcal per session (according to the machines, anyway).

2. Don't cut out favourite foods, but increase their quality and reduce their quantity. I continue to eat some desserts, but the fancier, more expensive, smaller, and fixed-quantity ones. I try to eat set meals when I can so that the food quantity is fixed (Japanese sets are good for this, as well as some of the home-microwavable meals)- and avoid buffets! For snacks, I'm trying to buy my favourite fruits (which are expensive ones) rather than crisps or sweets.

3. Avoid drinking any sugar at all.

4. Drink lots of water.

5. Try to get to bed and wake up earlier.

6. I'm not cutting out alcohol altogether but limiting it to social occasions, and then to non-carbohydrate based drinks (I'm not a big beer drinker anyway).

The upshot is that I'm spending more on better quality (but less) food, and spending a lot more time in the gym but not challenging myself with impossible-to-meet short-term goals. I've already adopted this program for about a month, and people have been commenting that I look a bit slimmer- I think I've lost about 3kg or so. I'll let you guys know how it goes. If things go well, I'll raise my goals as I go. Wish me luck.

"Steven"

Absolutely, don't expect great results overnight and don't get discouraged if it goes a little slower than you'd hoped. :o

I would like to drop a few pounds myself and think I will try IJWT's method. Moderation, cut out the sugary drinks, cut back on the sweets (I just cannot cut them out altogether) and exercise. Hubby is going to give it a go too, so hopefully we can work it together :D

Every minor change to your routine will help.

With ALL my clients I try to change one bad habit at a time. I found that most people can not handle massive diet, exercise and lifestyle changes "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" that first step is the hardest and everyone here has made that step to begin a healthy and active lifestyle

Keep up the good work and goodluck

Feel free to ask for any advice

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

So, hows it going IJWT?

I've lost a bit of weight, I don't have scales (don't like them either) but can tell because my shorts are a bit looser in the waist than before :o

The husband and I have bought a stationary bicycle and are using that for exercise. I plan on keeping at it until I feel comfortable with my body weight. And then I will go weigh myself :D

Keep up the good work. Forget the scales. How you look and feel are more important. Also scales can give you the wrong impression, especially at first. If you're weight training then you will gain some muscle mass. As muscle is denser than body fat, it weighs more. So when you get on the scales, it may seem that you haven't lost any weight or you've even gained some.

Keep you're training simple with basic movements. Try to use free weights a often in your routine as you can. Free weights develop the muscles used for balance, thus giving you a better physique.

I don't know your weight ,age, and so on. I'm not trying to give you body building advice either. Good foundations are good foundations.

Any way, to all those in this forum, keep it up and good luck.

P.s Steven, sorry about the other post.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been inspired by Ajarn (see his thread) and have cobbled together a loose program of non-punitive exercise and dieting for myself, to become more ambitious as it becomes more successful. My beginning plan:

1. Get to the gym at least every other day. Do some weights. Run/walk for 90 minutes at any speed I can maintain as long as I reach that time. As I get faster and better I'll set a distance goal instead and cut down on this time component substantially. At the moment I'm burning well over 1000kcal per session (according to the machines, anyway).

"Steven"

Can you explain what kind of program you do?

I've just re-started exercising and I only do a bit of swimming for about 20 mins plus walk on a threadmill for another 30 minutes and the threadmill kcal counter reaches only between 84 and 91, depending on speed. I still just walk slowly (average 5 km, start at 4, max of 6), not run.

Well, I'm walking kind of quickly- usually at least 6.5 km/hr- and I stay on there until I've reached 5-10km (depending on how much time I have that day). It usually takes me about 90minutes to do 10km at that speed. I don't want to go much faster (to protect my knees) so if I want to burn more calories I start to increase the incline. It takes a lot of time, but it does burn a lot of calories (between 1300-1400 at my present weight).

I have seen some slow but noticeable results and others have been commenting that I've lost a bit- feels good.

My body seems to be adjusting to a better regimen of food, as well. One thing I've discovered: high quality yoghurt (live cultures- not the stuff you can get at Tesco or 7/11)- really gives me a lot of energy for an extended period, especially if mixed with some equally high quality cereal. One Thai brand with live cultures is Yolida- good stuff and not that much more expensive (about 18B for one cup, which is usually enough with cereal).

"Steven"

• 1 month later...

Things seem to be getting better slowly. I am now doing light machines and free weights twice a week. On weight days and do 5km of treadmill- at higher speeds now and higher inclines. I try to stay under 7km/hr though, because I don't want to stress my knees too much and I try to keep my stride a walking rather than a running one. At least 2 other days a week I do a 10km walk at slightly slower speeds- but I keep the incline up. I can burn as much as 1800 calories in 90 minutes this way.

I am also watching my food intake- someone advised me to eat often and lightly, so I'm having 5 light meals a day. Also, I've been advised to stay away from carbs entirely in the evening- not exactly Atkins, so I can have bread and rice in the daytime.

I'm not entirely sure how much weight I've lost- it might not even be much in an absolute sense, because I'm putting on muscle, too. But I know my pants have lost a few inches and people who haven't seen me for a month or two are always commenting that I've lost weight, so I must be heading in the right direction. I'm pretty sure I've lost at least 2-3 more kilograms since my last update here.

I've been continuing to eat the yoghurt/muesli breakfasts to good effect.

"Steven"

Well, you are doing better than me :o I did lose some weight, felt great. Then came back to the US and started eating. Muffins, bagels, pretzels, steak, burgers, chili cheese dogs. Love it all :D

As well as being fairly sedentary here, whereas in Thailand I am quite active. So, heading back soon and plan on cutting back again, when I get back. Big Sigh.

Well, you are doing better than me :o I did lose some weight, felt great. Then came back to the US and started eating. Muffins, bagels, pretzels, steak, burgers, chili cheese dogs. Love it all :D

As well as being fairly sedentary here, whereas in Thailand I am quite active. So, heading back soon and plan on cutting back again, when I get back. Big Sigh.

start slowly ,walk to the shop ,swim a little .the more you do the easier it becomes ,set goals and an ideal wieght ,once you hit this ,weigh your self every 2 weeks ,if you gain ,work harder ,its only will power ,try not to snack and eat lots of vegetables and cut down on the alcohol....

More power to you, Steven. I just had a rude "wake-up call" last week when I was hit with two serious spells of dizziness, and near-fainting while teaching my classes. A few trips to the doctor for some pills to increase my blood circulation had me feeling marginally better.

However, i know the real secret lies in getting that weight down from slightly-over-weight to slightly-underweight. I did it once a few years ago: Started power-walking every week day for 30 minutes, and reduced my meat/fat intake. Over a year lost 30 pounds. So, I certainly agree with so many other posters--even smaller changes can have dramatic results over time. So past results give encouragement to future efforts.

Rootin' for you. Thanks for the encouragement by your example.

TT

I know exactly what you mean. I've possibly got some international travel coming up, and I'm a bit worried about it. I'm going to have to commit to getting exercise on the way, and really watching my food and my snacking.

More power to you, Steven. I just had a rude "wake-up call" last week when I was hit with two serious spells of dizziness, and near-fainting while teaching my classes. A few trips to the doctor for some pills to increase my blood circulation had me feeling marginally better.

However, i know the real secret lies in getting that weight down from slightly-over-weight to slightly-underweight. I did it once a few years ago: Started power-walking every week day for 30 minutes, and reduced my meat/fat intake. Over a year lost 30 pounds. So, I certainly agree with so many other posters--even smaller changes can have dramatic results over time. So past results give encouragement to future efforts.

Rootin' for you. Thanks for the encouragement by your example.

TT

Thanks very much, TT, that's exactly my plan- small changes that add up over time and are sustainable *because* they're small from day to day. Add an extra 1% of incline to the treadmill this week, next week increase the speed by 0.1 km/hr, have a little less to eat a little more often, ask myself if I can't do without that dessert this meal, pack a few Equal in my bag in case I have coffee or tea.... Nothing that's greatly challenging or punitive as I go, but it adds up more and more.

For exercise, I think the best advice is to start at whatever level on whatever exercise- no matter how easy or light it may seem- gets you sweating lightly for 30 minutes *every* day and then work your way up from that- pretty much as you say.

I'm glad that your warning sign wasn't more serious, and I hope it gives you enough time to prevent anything worse. Let us know how it goes.

"S"