What do you guys use for mexican flavoring in Tacos, Burritos etc?

Kenny202

The packs of El Paso very expensive here. I see McCormicks do one around 50 baht but hit and miss with their stuff in the past. Often do Burritos or Tacos at home and looking for something economical to use. Maybe its not so hard to mix something up yourself?

Might of answered my own question...Found a recipe mostly all spices I have at home less Onion powder which I just ordered. Has 7000 5 star ratings so should be ok. In the process saw someone on Lazada selling Jalepeno seeds so ordered some of them too. Guessing they wouldn't be too hard to grow

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin

1 teaspoon sea salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

½ teaspoon ground paprika

¼ teaspoon garlic powder

¼ teaspoon onion powder

¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

¼ teaspoon dried oregano

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Might of answered my own question...Found a recipe mostly all spices I have at home less Onion powder which I just ordered. Has 7000 5 star ratings so should be ok. In the process saw someone on Lazada selling Jalepeno seeds so ordered some of them too. Guessing they wouldn't be too hard to grow

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin

1 teaspoon sea salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

½ teaspoon ground paprika

¼ teaspoon garlic powder

¼ teaspoon onion powder

¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

¼ teaspoon dried oregano

I prefer cayenne pepper, it's not as acidic as Thai peppers.  Also don't forget your cilantro / coriander, you can find in the fresh veggie section it's called phak chi or something like that.

I get packaged dried cayenne peppers from Makro and grind as needed.   If you shop Villa Market, may even find jalapeno peppers.

Tortillas are easy enough to make.  Or buy the soft packaged ones.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I prefer cayenne pepper, it's not as acidic as Thai peppers.  Also don't forget your cilantro / coriander, you can find in the fresh veggie section it's called phak chi or something like that.

I get packaged dried cayenne peppers from Makro and grind as needed.   If you shop Villa Market, may even find jalapeno peppers.

Tortillas are easy enough to make.  Or buy the soft packaged ones.

Thank you, we can buy Pak chee anywhere...20m from home. I love it always have it in the fridge and use it in my salsa. yes make my own tortillas...super soft, nice and easy as pie to make....Flour, water and oil basically. Pretty much can be used for Greek Pita bread

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Thank you, we can buy Pak chee anywhere...20m from home. I love it always have it in the fridge and use it in my salsa. yes make my own tortillas...super soft, nice and easy as pie to make....Flour, water and oil basically. Pretty much can be used for Greek Pita bread

Smart, you shop at fresh markets, many on forum don't.

Happy munchin

Just now, KhunLA said:

Smart, you shop at fresh markets, many on forum don't.

Happy munchin

I like to cook and for me its like a wonderland at the markets. All the stuff that is sooooo expensive back home, farm fresh and cheap as chips. All the different mushrooms, herbs....Amazing trying different cabbages, Thai spinach and squashes how good they are and many times turn out even better than what we are used to back home. We eat like kings here!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes, cumin and chili powder can be bought to give a mexican flavor to meats/beans.  I like to buy a good salsa to put on top, but can be pricey.  Friendship market has reasonable prices on salsa in Pattaya, not sure if they have that market in BKK

20 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Yes, cumin and chili powder can be bought to give a mexican flavor to meats/beans.  I like to buy a good salsa to put on top, but can be pricey.  Friendship market has reasonable prices on salsa in Pattaya, not sure if they have that market in  

Bro salsa so easy to make...basically chopped tomato, onion, cilantro, garlic, lime...chilli or capsicum and however else you want to season it. All that stuff usually in my fridge. Usually 100 baht plus in a jar

• Thumbs Up 1