Nong Samo Hospital reveals at least one million people a year get bitten by dogs

snoop1130

9 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Dogs can bite but rarely kill. 

The real problem is much bigger!

"135 people have been killed and 116 injured by wild elephants in the past six years, including 27 deaths in the first nine months of this year alone"

Time to eradicate these pests?

I have lived next to the Mae Wong national park for 18 years and I saw more elephants in BKK in 5 years than I have ever seen in rural Thailand,

• Like 1

"The National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) estimates that Thailand has 10 million stray dogs, with 1 in 10 dogs in Bangkok suspected to be infected with rabies."

"Rabies was included in the list of notifiable diseases in Thailand in 1980 with 370 human cases reported in that year. Subsequently, 185, 50, 15, and 2 human rabies cases were reported in 1990, 2000, 2010, and 2020, respectively."

Q: If 1 in 10 dogs have rabies, how could there be only 2 human cases of rabies in 2020?

• Thumbs Up 1

vaccine is 100% effective and widely available. Thais even though not most educated, they know they need it

They said cases were people that didn't seek treatment.

My question is: Why invest so much into vaccine manufacturing(they make it here) and distribution(must be freezed in transport and there's many remote places), when you can just solve the dogs problem

Edited by Kalorymetr
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

When I first lived in Thailand in the early 70s there was a colloquial expression. A Thai, when asked how far it was to a place by road would say "About twenty dead dogs" (based on one dead dog each kilometre)

What was killing the dogs since there weren't cars bavk in the 70s

15 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

A rather stupid reply. May as well say you should never have more than one traffic accident in your life because of hindsight.   durh

Mine seem rather whimsical compared to some of the nonsense you have posted in the couple of dog related  threads.  I think perhaps you were raised by wolves!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

But you seemed to have missed the other I wrote, again, stating how I treat humans makes me a good person, or do you know other ways it can? Stating that serial killers usually come from mistreatment of animals isn't an argument. I don't argue but state facts.

Oh I'm sorry, you don't know what an argument is? Then what are we doing here?

• Love It 1

19 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Single-dose vaccines are available, but they only provide immunity for a limited period of time.

There is no single-dose rabies vaccine available anywhere in the world which can provide lifelong immunity.

A doom forecaster. 

https://immunizeindia.org/content/rabies-vaccination/

Better to wait until you get bitten. Saves messing about.

Yet, you still have to mess about with rabies immunoglobin which is expensive and can be difficult to source in parts of Thailand together with its inherent issues of blood product contamination and allergic reaction.

Then, you have the messing about with emergency treatment of the wound. With Prep vaccination there is no urgency. And then you have the hassle of 4 repeat visits over a month of vaccinations instead of 1 repeat shot after 3 days, after initial treatment.

Most western Govt Health bodies recommend rabies Prep vaccination for long stay visits in rabies endemic areas, eg all of Thailand.

Rabies Prep vaccination provides its protection for at least 10 years without a booster to keep it current.

Not sure what the significance of single-dose vaccination lifelong immunity is. 

I would, suggest most if not all single-dose disease vaccinations do not provide lifelong immunity.

Perhaps, from your expertise in epidemiology you could name any that do?

• Thumbs Up 1

As long as I can see high-heeled office girls in neat outfits feeding stray dogs with Moo Ping or Chicken Vichienburi bites on their way to or from work ...... nothing will change. 

They do it for good luck, for mercy but certainly not in the interest of public health and safety. Rather collect all these dogs and neuter them; the number of stray dogs (and cats are on the increase as well) is unbelievable and must be in the millions .........

Education, education, education ........... 

• Like 1

I think I posted something similar on another thread.

Down on the beach at the bottom of Soi 5 Pratumnak, Pattaya, there are around 10/15 dogs in the area. Not heard of them biting anyone, but all poo on the beach, which is never cleaned

That's an awful lot of poo day in day out, watching families picnic on top of it all turns my stomach. Add in the cats and pigeons in the same area doing the same, no way would you get me on that small beach????

Thai dogs hate cyclists. Got bitten 4 times in Thailand. These mutts timed their attacks in a way that I needed  the whole 5 shot course every time. It's like them saying oh this guy just got bitten by a buddy of mine. Let's wait till the 2 year period (after that boosters are not enough anymore) is over, and we bite him again. Really pisses this odious cyclist off. 

• Thumbs Up 2

July 2019 my partner was cycling to the gym, about 500m from home hit from the side by a dog, no warning, knocked off and hit the road; bitten on the leg, plus grazes and bruising. Company insurance covered all medical and lost-time costs incl the rabies vaccinations.

We'd been in this house a year at that time, aware of the dog there as it always barked, but hadn't chased/bitten previously.

Owners denied it was theirs, 'just a dog we feed' and a suggestion she shouldn't be cycling if it was a problem.

It went on holiday a few weeks later. Perhaps it will have a better persona in the next life.

Edited by gomangosteen
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Thai dogs hate cyclists. Got bitten 4 times in Thailand. These mutts timed their attacks in a way that I needed  the whole 5 shot course every time. It's like them saying oh this guy just got bitten by a buddy of mine. Let's wait till the 2 year period (after that boosters are not enough anymore) is over, and we bite him again. Really pisses this odious cyclist off. 

IIRC a squeezy/squirty bottle of water with some ammonia in it is a fair response to a soi dog attack. The %age of water to ammonia is a trial by error, too much and you could blind the dog, not enough and it would be a waste of time as the dog will still bite you.

I think that after a while the dogs will get to know you , leave you alone and find an easier target.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I think that after a while the dogs will get to know you , leave you alone and find an easier target.

I too go cycling. Never been bit in all that time but have been brought off the bike a few times. My protection now is a catapult and glass marbles. Fortunately they learn their lesson quick and I only have to reach for the catapult and they're gone.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

On 9/27/2022 at 7:04 AM, Red Forever said:

Back in the day in Issan the truck used to come to the village and villagers pointed out the strays to the man who collected said stray/nuisance dogs. Villagers were given plastic goods by the nice dog man. Dogs went on trip to Vietnam. Result: everybody happy.

Once upon a time - from when we lived in Sa Kaeo 2010, the plastic bowl/bucket exchange pickup truck

spacer.png

"We're all going on a summer holiday . . . "

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 5:22 PM, thecyclist said:

Unless you are badly immuno-compromised and even then, I would seriously doubt the veracity of your hypothesis that you "needed the whole 5 shot course every time" after 2 years. 

Could you post a citation to support your claim?