Nong Samo Hospital reveals at least one million people a year get bitten by dogs

snoop1130

Because of the cooler weather, I'm seeing packs like never before.  Hey, cold weather, let me get outside earlier!!  dogs are thinking the same thing.

Maybe if I go out for an hour I see 30 dogs, maybe 40.

If really hot, maybe half that.   

Ideally, zero.

In Chiang Mai, I remember less dogs.  My mind is going.   Only almost bitten about four times, I'm scared as their teeth are close while I'm swinging a stick until someone helped.  

thinking of a place in LOS without dogs.....................impossible.  every city, town....

Edited by Iamfalang
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Nong Samo Hospital in Pong held a seminar on rabies after statistics showed that at least one million people a year got bitten by dogs in Thailand.

About the same number as are injured on Thai roads, then. Just part of life in Thailand, neither of which anyone will do anything about.

• Like 2

Me too!  I've been bitten 3 times here in Isaan, and I'm a freakin' dog lover and owner!  Ironically, it wasn't stray/feral dogs.  In both cases it was neighborhood dogs that the Thai owners let run loose.  In fact, one night I got bit twice by my next door neighbor's 2 dogs as I was returning home and passed their house on my motorbike.  The first dog got a nip so the 2nd one decided to bite me as well.  Luckily I didn't need stitches but off to the hospital I went for rabies shots.  Of course, the Thai neighbor had to pay the bill.  The next time I was riding my bicycle and a neighborhood dog gave me a nip as I rode by him.  This particular dog was never friendly and I believe was beat on by its owner.

In both cases I had passed by those houses a gazillion times with no problem.  OTOH during the past 16 years I've explored nearly every small village in the area either on foot, bicycle, or motorbike and have never been bitten.  Yeah, I've been chased quite a few times, but always slow down, face them, and speak softly, and never had a problem.  Yep, Thai dogs are extremely territorial and many are beat by their owners so they are afraid of strangers.  My experience (other than my neighbors' dogs) has been to just be nice to them and the next time I pass by there's no problem.  Most dogs are like elephants, they never forget.  If you're nice they'll remember it and 99.99% of the mutts won't bother you again.  But if you're mean they'll never forget that and will try to chase and/or bite every time.  Sadly, I've got a walkabout buddy who hates dogs and hasn't learned that lesson yet.  Oh well.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I commend them but have any stepped out recently or ever? 

The short list is unrealistic did they come up with it or take it from the West to show they are on top of it. 

#2. Ask the owner?  ????

Where I live like the Thai kids for 2 decades play outside no supervision same with the Soi Dogs. Within the village Soi (6) there must be 30 strays the females are always pregnant. 

When babies the kids play with them 6 months they are alone survival of the fittest many if not run over by cars are disease infected.  Many come early evening feed them empty lots it is a cycle but I've never seen a official of any kind do a thing vaccination etc. 

Last 3 years during my run since park was closed bitten 2 times once it happens it is no longer the land of smiles once it happens it is a ghost town. ????

1 hour ago, wpcoe said:

My math skills are fading, but if the population of Thailand is around 70 million, that's one in 70 that gets bit per year.

So in three years, if it's three million people who get bit, that's one in 24.  That's a lot!

Something must be wrong with my reasoning/logic/math because that would mean over a ten year period, one in seven people would be bit by a dog.  Surely that cannot be?

It's higher still, I'd say that for every one reported dog bite there's probably another 5 unreported...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

Me too!  I've been bitten 3 times here in Isaan, and I'm a freakin' dog lover and owner!  Ironically, it wasn't stray/feral dogs.  In both cases it was neighborhood dogs that the Thai owners let run loose.  In fact, one night I got bit twice by my next door neighbor's 2 dogs as I was returning home and passed their house on my motorbike.  The first dog got a nip so the 2nd one decided to bite me as well.  Luckily I didn't need stitches but off to the hospital I went for rabies shots.  Of course, the Thai neighbor had to pay the bill.  The next time I was riding my bicycle and a neighborhood dog gave me a nip as I rode by him.  This particular dog was never friendly and I believe was beat on by its owner.

In both cases I had passed by those houses a gazillion times with no problem.  OTOH during the past 16 years I've explored nearly every small village in the area either on foot, bicycle, or motorbike and have never been bitten.  Yeah, I've been chased quite a few times, but always slow down, face them, and speak softly, and never had a problem.  Yep, Thai dogs are extremely territorial and many are beat by their owners so they are afraid of strangers.  My experience (other than my neighbors' dogs) has been to just be nice to them and the next time I pass by there's no problem.  Most dogs are like elephants, they never forget.  If you're nice they'll remember it and 99.99% of the mutts won't bother you again.  But if you're mean they'll never forget that and will try to chase and/or bite every time.  Sadly, I've got a walkabout buddy who hates dogs and hasn't learned that lesson yet.  Oh well.

Your logic is flawed (that's a nice way of saying it)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wpcoe said:

My math skills are fading, but if the population of Thailand is around 70 million, that's one in 70 that gets bit per year.

So in three years, if it's three million people who get bit, that's one in 24.  That's a lot!

Something must be wrong with my reasoning/logic/math because that would mean over a ten year period, one in seven people would be bit by a dog.  Surely that cannot be?

If it's the same people who get bitten every year, the math changes dramatically:)

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Maybe if the local council had to pay 100,000 baht out for every soi dog bite in their city they would act on these scummy things

Why should the local council pay if you're unable to protect yourself from soi dog bites and not see a doctor like stated in the OP? 

14 hours ago, proton said:

There are no bad dogs, only bad owners the doggie lovers tell us, of course soi dogs have no owners anyway. ????

Could not agree more. We have helped over 300 and have 22 at home. Never been bitten once. Dogs mirror their environment so expect to be bitten if you're unkind to one. That applies to all dogs not just Thailand. How about we start to see some proper Buddhist kindness that so many lack in this country and see there world through their eyes. It's not difficult to do. Spay and neuter and show some compassion and watch the world change for them and us. As for rabies the last person who died that I saw reported was a guy in Hua Hin and was bitten by a feral cat. They then went around rounding up the dogs 

• Thanks 2