Nong Samo Hospital reveals at least one million people a year get bitten by dogs

snoop1130

6 hours ago, The Anchor Man said:

There should be greater interest to collect and destroy the Soi dogs.

They used to be (20 yrs ago) a tradable commodity, collected off the streets and shipped to the restaurants in Vietnam. In Australia I remember they used to have kangaroo culls. There's videos on YT of the US sport of hog shooting from the vantage point of helicopters.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Cull the soi dogs. They are a plague. Most lead miserable lives of disease, hunger and desperation. Put them out of their misery, and improve the nation at the same time. Courage is required, and not strange notions of Buddhavistic merit. 

One bite results in the need for a series of rabies shots, which can be quite expensive. 

More than 59,000 people die of rabies each year because they cannot get the care they need. That’s about 1 person dying of rabies every 9 minutes. Most of these deaths are in Africa and Asia, and nearly half of the victims are children under the age of 15. 

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2015/p0928-rabies.html

Yes expensive.

If you get bitten and no previous immunisation you will need 5 shots of vaccine @ 500b and 1 shot of human rabies immunoglobin (HRIG) @ 20,000b.

HRIG is not usually readily available in Thailand but you might find equine rabies immunoglobin (ERIG) @ 5,000b. 

Neither rabies immunoglobin is particularly attractive as it is blood product. If you have pre-exposure vaccination it is not necessary.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

Could not agree more. We have helped over 300 and have 22 at home. Never been bitten once. Dogs mirror their environment so expect to be bitten if you're unkind to one. That applies to all dogs not just Thailand. How about we start to see some proper Buddhist kindness that so many lack in this country and see there world through their eyes. It's not difficult to do. Spay and neuter and show some compassion and watch the world change for them and us. As for rabies the last person who died that I saw reported was a guy in Hua Hin and was bitten by a feral cat. They then went around rounding up the dogs 

Very well said.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, micmichd said:

Why should the local council pay if you're unable to protect yourself from soi dog bites and not see a doctor like stated in the OP? 

Perhaps if the councils rounded up stray dogs and euthanized them there would be less people being bitten and less road accidents caused by them. The cost to the Thai  Health service must be very high. In addition to working hours lost due to bites, road accidents and hospital visits, caused by them. Yes. I know about the buddhists attitude to euthanizing dogs. But perhaps they could extend their compassion to the humans who suffer from them. I like dogs and have owned them most of my life. But liking them does not mean turning my back on a problem .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, androokery said:

Going out on a limb here, but I assume you don't own one of these life-saving, drug-sniffing dogs you mention. Nor do you have a guide dog. I assume you have or had dogs primarily for company (very selfish) or for protection of property or self (incredibly selfish and destructive). The dog owners and their dogs don't exist in a vacuum. There's always a cost associated and it seems to never be paid by them, but more likely by the people around them. 

Pathetic.

3 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

Could not agree more. We have helped over 300 and have 22 at home. Never been bitten once. Dogs mirror their environment so expect to be bitten if you're unkind to one. That applies to all dogs not just Thailand. How about we start to see some proper Buddhist kindness that so many lack in this country and see there world through their eyes. It's not difficult to do. Spay and neuter and show some compassion and watch the world change for them and us. As for rabies the last person who died that I saw reported was a guy in Hua Hin and was bitten by a feral cat. They then went around rounding up the dogs 

You mention the Buddhist kindness  One of their main beliefs is to refrain from taking life. Not killing any living being . However that belief is not carried out by all Buddhists  , especially Cambodia and Vietnam , plus sometimes within Thailand . The dogs are slain and eaten . I know for a fact that Thai folk where I live would not kill a dog using a weapon because of the threat of a heavy fine / prison but have used poisoned meat .  So one wonders how the likes of Cambodia and Vietnam have managed to overcome the " Not killing of any living being " part of the Buddhist constitution . I think that the highly revered Buddhist monks dictate to the governments . They are well known for taking in stray animals to their temples .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

Me too!  I've been bitten 3 times here in Isaan, and I'm a freakin' dog lover and owner!  Ironically, it wasn't stray/feral dogs.  In both cases it was neighborhood dogs that the Thai owners let run loose.  In fact, one night I got bit twice by my next door neighbor's 2 dogs as I was returning home and passed their house on my motorbike.  The first dog got a nip so the 2nd one decided to bite me as well.  Luckily I didn't need stitches but off to the hospital I went for rabies shots.  Of course, the Thai neighbor had to pay the bill.  The next time I was riding my bicycle and a neighborhood dog gave me a nip as I rode by him.  This particular dog was never friendly and I believe was beat on by its owner.

In both cases I had passed by those houses a gazillion times with no problem.  OTOH during the past 16 years I've explored nearly every small village in the area either on foot, bicycle, or motorbike and have never been bitten.  Yeah, I've been chased quite a few times, but always slow down, face them, and speak softly, and never had a problem.  Yep, Thai dogs are extremely territorial and many are beat by their owners so they are afraid of strangers.  My experience (other than my neighbors' dogs) has been to just be nice to them and the next time I pass by there's no problem.  Most dogs are like elephants, they never forget.  If you're nice they'll remember it and 99.99% of the mutts won't bother you again.  But if you're mean they'll never forget that and will try to chase and/or bite every time.  Sadly, I've got a walkabout buddy who hates dogs and hasn't learned that lesson yet.  Oh well.

In the mid 80s I had two friends who died of rabies in Pattaya and their experience was horrible. A few years later a Thai friend was bitten on a golf course and decided treatment was unnecessary. He ended up in hospital terrified of a glass of water/hydrophobia. He died due to his own ignorance. Rabies is fatal if untreated.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LosLobo said:

If you are going to live in Thailand it is now obvious that rabies pre vaccination is just as necessary as a hat

A doom forecaster. 

Single-dose vaccines are available, but they only provide immunity for a limited period of time.

There is no single-dose rabies vaccine available anywhere in the world which can provide lifelong immunity.

https://immunizeindia.org/content/rabies-vaccination/

Better to wait until you get bitten. Saves messing about.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

7 hours ago, arick said:

We counted 22 dead dogs on a 350 km drive 

When I first lived in Thailand in the early 70s there was a colloquial expression. A Thai, when asked how far it was to a place by road would say "About twenty dead dogs" (based on one dead dog each kilometre)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

Rubbish, dogs mirror their genetics, dirty, barking aggressive and sly animals. Compassion would be putting them down not spaying just to make humans feel better about the situation and pretend that is a solution. The spayed still bit and spread disease.

• Love It 1

32 minutes ago, proton said:

Rubbish, dogs mirror their genetics, dirty, barking aggressive and sly animals. Compassion would be putting them down not spaying just to make humans feel better about the situation and pretend that is a solution. The spayed still bit and spread disease.

Actually, Bim is right on for the situation. Neutering and spaying reduces the amount of babies, which reduces the problem. Dogs do indeed mirror their environment, and owners. If they are treated well, they won't bite anyone. If you step on a dogs tail, they can bite, meaning if you abuse them, they will abuse others. I have owned many dogs, and not one has ever bit anyone. I never hit them unless they were doing something bad, and always showed them love. Even the pit bull, which can kill if taught, can be a docile animal that doesn't know it's own abilities against a human if humans have only been kind to it. Dogs bark because that's how they communicate, but can be taught not to. they also bark when left alone, bored, for too long. Fixing dogs isn't to make us feel better but to fix the problem for both us and the animals. You could round up all the strays and kill them, and that would solve the problem temporarily, but in this kind of unregulated country, it would be next to impossible to do, meaning the man hours involved, the fact that a lot of these animals are owned, and dogs will still roam,making new babies daily. Fixing a lot will reduce the population for the most important time, the future. Just like humans, having more babies that aren't properly raised, the over population causes most of the world's problems.

Edited by fredwiggy

9 hours ago, The Anchor Man said:

There should be greater interest to collect and destroy the Soi dogs. There are a nuisance and attack people. The domestically owned dogs can then be contacted at the responsibility of the owner.

No owner destroy it.

I think your comment is a load of old bullocks. 

I adopted a soi dog 7 years ago. Best thing Ive ever done. Great personality and companion. Loyal to the core. 

The govt should help relocate and re-home these animals. 

One of the ways a civilized country proves itself is by how they treat their elderly, homeless and animals. Yes, it's in the governments best interest to put money into a spaying operation countrywide, but like the road carnage that goes on and is preventable by enforcement of laws that are already on the books, this won't come easy because they just don't care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thais have got to be the worse dog owners in the world, just let them roam where ever they want cuz they're too lazy to actually take them out for a walk.

and the amount of stray dogs about, make thailand look like a third world country.                                 they need to sort this problem out if they wanna convince people they're a civilised country

• Like 1

3 hours ago, proton said:

You just described some humans of which you are in the category of "some". Never met a bad dog. Humans on the other hand 

3 minutes ago, proton said:

Neutered soi dogs are still pests, still bark, bite, spread disease and are a road hazard. All spaying them does is reduce the population growth slightly, it's a pretend solution, the dogs are still there and the numbers keep growing.

You spay, or neuter, every dog you can get your hands on, you'll reduce the population exponentially., thereby reducing bites, diseases and road accidents. Where I lived in Texas, in a subdivision surrounded by country, where the city incorporated us, animals weren't allowed to roam freely, and you rarely saw a dog loose. Animals had to have a rabies tag, and people were fined if their dog was picked up. Problems were non existent. The government here needs to put money towards this, and take it from the military, which is totally unnecessary.

Just now, fredwiggy said:

You spay, or neuter, every dog you can get your hands on, you'll reduce the population exponentially., thereby reducing bites, diseases and road accidents. Where I lived in Texas, in a subdivision surrounded by country, where the city incorporated us, animals weren't allowed to roam freely, and you rarely saw a dog loose. Animals had to have a rabies tag, and people were fined if their dog was picked up. Problems were non existent. The government here needs to put money towards this, and take it from the military, which is totally unnecessary.

But that is not what happens, soi dog foundation has, on average, spayed less than 100 dogs a day since they were founded- they claim. Almost a waste of time, mass culling is what is needed, but that wont happen either so we will continue to walk around suffering dogs in 7/11 doorways, around them on the roads and avoid walking far because of these vermin attacking in packs.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

the only time i have been bitten by dogs was by animals that where on a leash with the owner on the other end. mostly owners who are not people who should have any kind of animal.

most people that I have seen being bitten by animal are those joggers and runners who are running and then run towards an animal. which makes the animal thinks it will be attacked. or running away from the animal which triggers another thing in the animal. 

most animal remember people who treated them badly and they wait for the moment that the animal can doing bad to the people.

animals that are labeled as false are animals that have learned how people are and actually show nothing more than copied human behavior  

On 9/26/2022 at 5:56 PM, snoop1130 said:

“1. We have to quickly clean the bite wound with water and soap. 2. Remember the types of animals that bite us so we can ask the owner, if any, about rabies vaccination. 3. Consult a doctor.”

4.  what about getting rid of the mongrel soi dogs completely so we don't have 1, 2, or 3 any more  ?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1