COVID-19 preventive measures in schools to be lifted from October 1st

webfact

25 minutes ago, James105 said:

What does that even mean?   Due to the decreased life expectancy caused by poverty these same kids will end up sacrificing more years of their own lives to give (maybe) a little bit extra life for people who already had lived their lives.    Covid only rarely took the lives of healthy, young individuals.   

This is why the answer to the "trolley problem" shouldn't be to pull the lever as the unknown or unintended consequences of intervening could cause far more devastation than pulling the lever.   

"Covid only rarely took the lives of healthy, young individuals."

It took away the lives of millions parents or care givers to these children

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

That's a rather binary choice: if your child doesn't study online, someone you love will die?

Hmmm, not sure that's quite the same as reducing the chance that someone will die.

Basically, since I was arguing with someone who literally says that it's better for the elderly or vulnerable to die than for kids to miss a year of school, it seems like a logical summation. (What I said, not what you made up.)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

"Covid only rarely took the lives of healthy, young individuals."

It took away the lives of millions parents or care givers to these children

Again, since covid deaths had an average age (in the UK at least) of 82 years old, I find this very, very hard to believe.   How old were these parents?  Over 80?  How did they even have kids when they are so old.  I'd suggest that if covid had not taken them then there would still be 10m kids without these alleged "parents" since humans are not immortal and have to die of something anyway.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Stats? Show me a link that your using so I may peruse it at my liesure.

I've been down this road before and it is pointless.   When someone has been indoctrinated with the propaganda then even cold, hard numbers  do little here.   It's a bit like being Winston trying to persuade someone that 2+2 really does equal 4.  

while we are at it.....

Why should anybody in the medical field be required to wear masks. Doctors, Nurses, Dentist. They should be given the option of wearing one while performing surgery on you, or sticking their fingers in your mouth pulling a tooth. Gloves, hand washing and sanitation...optional. 

A person should be free to go take a <deleted> before operating on someone and not have to bother washing their hands again....they washed them once in the morning that should be good enough. 

And food production. Dont get me started. That last thing I want to do before making a meatball sandwich for a customer is wash my hands and slip on a glove? Rinse the Salad. What the f*#k for, it just came out of the ground, created by God which is packed full of nutrients. Cough on your food, slip a finger into your soup, perhaps a few finger nail clippings in the salad. 

Or just imagine the next time you are at a restaurant here and the cook takes a <deleted>, uses the bum gun which causes fecal matter to go flying all over including his or her hand and then they come out and prepare your Caesar Salad. That anchovy flavor was probably from the sumtam they just washed away from their butt hole. But by God they are forced to wash their hands. Barbaric!

Hell the guy cooking meth next door to me had some ppe on, I told him he was a fool listening to the "MAN" about protecting his body. Told him not to fall for their bs, he has the right not wear that garbage. 

Barbaric Behavior! I should be allowed to drink and drive without penalty, kill anyone with bad breath who speaks to me, the worst and I do mean the absolute worst violation is prohibiting my kid from taking peanut butter, nuts or other allergens to school. My kid loves peanut butter, but just because some spastic classmate whose parents couldn't give birth to a normal child mine has to refrain from taking it to school. Some days i just want to roll their backpack in peanut dust, smother it peanut butter and send them off to school. 

Oh, and ban EpiPens from public places as well....sticking people with needles without their consent is inhumane. 

15 minutes ago, James105 said:

Again, since covid deaths had an average age (in the UK at least) of 82 years old, I find this very, very hard to believe.   How old were these parents?  Over 80?  How did they even have kids when they are so old.  I'd suggest that if covid had not taken them then there would still be 10m kids without these alleged "parents" since humans are not immortal and have to die of something anyway.   

Again with your averages. I call BS when your claiming no parents died and they must have been old people who had young kids. I lost many friends my age or younger who have children in elementary, middle school, and high-school. No I am not a dinosaur.  My youngest is 15.

17 minutes ago, James105 said:

I've been down this road before and it is pointless.   When someone has been indoctrinated with the propaganda then even cold, hard numbers  do little here.   It's a bit like being Winston trying to persuade someone that 2+2 really does equal 4.  

You have never shown your statistical links, always used averages in your figures so I call BS on your posts as you post anecdotally without verification of links as proof.

Edited by ThailandRyan

2 minutes ago, rct99q said:

while we are at it.....

Why should anybody in the medical field be required to wear masks. Doctors, Nurses, Dentist. They should be given the option of wearing one while performing surgery on you, or sticking their fingers in your mouth pulling a tooth. Gloves, hand washing and sanitation...optional. 

A person should be free to go take a <deleted> before operating on someone and not have to bother washing their hands again....they washed them once in the morning that should be good enough. 

And food production. Dont get me started. That last thing I want to do before making a meatball sandwich for a customer is wash my hands and slip on a glove? Rinse the Salad. What the f*#k for, it just came out of the ground, created by God which is packed full of nutrients. Cough on your food, slip a finger into your soup, perhaps a few finger nail clippings in the salad. 

Or just imagine the next time you are at a restaurant here and the cook takes a <deleted>, uses the bum gun which causes fecal matter to go flying all over including his or her hand and then they come out and prepare your Caesar Salad. That anchovy flavor was probably from the sumtam they just washed away from their butt hole. But by God they are forced to wash their hands. Barbaric!

Hell the guy cooking meth next door to me had some ppe on, I told him he was a fool listening to the "MAN" about protecting his body. Told him not to fall for their bs, he has the right not wear that garbage. 

Barbaric Behavior! I should be allowed to drink and drive without penalty, kill anyone with bad breath who speaks to me, the worst and I do mean the absolute worst violation is prohibiting my kid from taking peanut butter, nuts or other allergens to school. My kid loves peanut butter, but just because some spastic classmate whose parents couldn't give birth to a normal child mine has to refrain from taking it to school. Some days i just want to roll their backpack in peanut dust, smother it peanut butter and send them off to school. 

Oh, and ban EpiPens from public places as well....sticking people with needles without their consent is inhumane. 

Is it raining where you are.....????

On 9/28/2022 at 1:59 PM, mnomad said:

With reduced mobility I'd just take a seat and see what happens, this late in the game even the young fierce ones might think twice at taking a pop. 

I actually did this when I applied for my latest retirement extension at Rayong last July. Having arrived early enough to plonk my rearside on an "authorised" seat until my ticket number was called, needless to say it had been taken by the time I had subsequently completed my dealings with the immigration officer at their window. So I just plonked my rearside on a seat marked X in order to await the return of my passport duly stamped with the new extension, and dared to be challenged for doing so. However, apart from a few disapproving tut-tuts being muttered by my wife who was with me, nothing in the event happened.

The irony of the whole situation was that, by the time I left the office, there were many others waiting their turn who were stood on their feet and obediently avoiding all the seats marked X. They were all in close proximity to each other thanks to the limited floor space at Rayong - and, hence, weren't socially distanced from each other by any stretch of the imagination!

46 minutes ago, James105 said:

What are you talking about?

September 6, 2022

Orphanhood and Caregiver Loss Among Children Based on New Global Excess COVID-19 Death Estimates

Using WHO excess mortality (more conservative than findings from IHME and The Economist), we estimate that 10 500 000 children lost parents or caregivers (Table), and 7 500 000 children experienced COVID-19–associated orphanhood through May 1, 2022. 

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/fullarticle/2795650

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Eleftheros said:

There is a reason they shouted "Women and children first!" before lowering the lifeboats on the Titanic - these people are quite simply the future of the race.

Oh, it just occurred to me that you are wrong here also.

Women and children first had nothing to do with them being "the future". It was because they were seen as being weak, vulnerable and in need of protection, while the men where seen as being disposable. Women and children included elderly women and excluded young men who had many, many years ahead of them.

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Exactly, from personal experience with my school age child and knowing many more of them as a result of her friends and parents they all appreciate the reasons for the restrictions that were in place.

If you tell kids that there is a sky wizard that exists that works in mysterious ways, or you tell kids there is a fat guy who comes around once a year and delivers presents to them if they are well behaved, they will believe you.   Because they are kids.   One day they will grow up and realise what the hysterical adults of today took from them, and they will not be happy about it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, James105 said:

If you tell kids that there is a sky wizard that exists that works in mysterious ways, or you tell kids there is a fat guy who comes around once a year and delivers presents to them if they are well behaved, they will believe you.   Because they are kids.   One day they will grow up and realise what the hysterical adults of today took from them, and they will not be happy about it.  

My 14 year old daughter wouldn't believe any of that. She does believe in study and getting good grades for a quality education in University without thinking of covid as its over for her and her school.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James105 said:

Kids stop believing in fantasies such a Father Christmas when their 7 or 8. You’re obviously no child psychologist, parent or teacher. Yet you claim to be able to predict their outcomes for the rest of their lives. 

The younger they were when covid hit the better, missing school for 1 year will have no major impact in their lives, some countries have different statutory primary school starting age but that does not affect the overall education. I am a teacher, a teacher of science to adolescents and can categorically say that none of the students I teach feel resentment to the establishment even though it did impact their studying although they are already back up to speed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

It was because they were seen as being weak, vulnerable and in need of protection, while the men where seen as being disposable.

And what, do you think, is the deep reason that we feel we need to protect women and children? And what is it about men that makes them 'disposable'? Just think about it.

3 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Hmmm, not sure that's quite the same as reducing the chance that someone will die.

Basically, since I was arguing with someone who literally says that it's better for the elderly or vulnerable to die than for kids to miss a year of school, it seems like a logical summation. (What I said, not what you made up.)

Hmmm, my comment "That's a rather binary choice: if your child doesn't study online, someone you love will die?" was based exactly on what you said:

"You're entitled to your opinion, but most people were OK with kids having a year of studying online if it meant their mother, father, husband, wife, etc., didn't die."

That seems pretty binary to me. Nothing about reducing chances.

But I do find it pleasantly refreshing that you argue your position in a reasoned and reasonable manner.

42 minutes ago, Sunderland said:

I know of two schools that will allow foreign teachers to teach without masks from Monday, but all Thai staff and students must continue to wear masks for "sanitary reasons".

I thought it might be the exact opposite.

"Sorry guys, but it's just too risky have foreigners unmasked." ????

(Yes. The above is hyperbole.)

Just told the kid about no more masks. She says they forget what their friends look like. But wondering how long for the general populace to follow suit. Last week driving at 0400 see a lone MB rider masked up. 

A few months back a teacher tested pos for covid.  The teacher wasn't my kids teacher, but the next day in my kid's class only 3 out of 21 kids showed up for class. That's how the parents are. I'm wondering how many parents will force their kids to still mask up.

On 9/28/2022 at 6:51 PM, BangkokReady said:

I think some have admitted that perhaps the virus was not as deadly as first thought

I am more inclines to say it evolved into a far less deadly strain ..... which now dominates earlier ones.... and we may well have forgotten how bad it was initially. 

57 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Just told the kid about no more masks. She says they forget what their friends look like. But wondering how long for the general populace to follow suit. Last week driving at 0400 see a lone MB rider masked up. 

A few months back a teacher tested pos for covid.  The teacher wasn't my kids teacher, but the next day in my kid's class only 3 out of 21 kids showed up for class. That's how the parents are. I'm wondering how many parents will force their kids to still mask up.

Why does this bother you so much. If kids or families wish to keep wearing masks, even if they are not necessary in your view and have been removed from mandatory wearing, it is there decision and not yours after all.  Or am I wrong.  We still mask up when in locations where it is crowded, when we move to where we are pretty much alone the masks come off.  On the BTS and MRT we use masks, and when in the malls we mask up unless the mall is fairly empty.  It is not just about Covid.  As I have said many times before I wore masks prior to covid when out and about in the Bangkok or Chiang Mai bad quality air, and I always rode my motorbike with my mask on, and yes I wear a helmet. 

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Why does this bother you so much. If kids or families wish to keep wearing masks, even if they are not necessary in your view and have been removed from mandatory wearing, it is there decision and not yours after all.

The responses of some are quite interesting. I suspect those getting worked up about it are people who were on the side of "masks don't do anything, this is all a conspiracy theory" since the beginning.

I suspect they are confusing the gradual, slow and considered relaxing of anti-covid measures, after the situation has improved dramatically, with an admission that we never needed any of them in the first place and the doubters were right all along.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Sunderland said:

I know of two schools that will allow foreign teachers to teach without masks from Monday, but all Thai staff and students must continue to wear masks for "sanitary reasons".

This is in direct breach of the recommendations and shouldn't be allowed.

However these things will take time to come back to normal.

Normal does not equal children wearing masks. 

11 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

Normal does not equal children wearing masks. 

Funny, pretty much no one used to complain when school children and pretty much everyone else used to wear face masks to protect against the seasonal PM2.5 pollution that could get very bad in BKK, CM and elsewhere for weeks or months on end.

But I guess COVID these days is "special," and fussy farangs really don't want to be reminded by having to see people wearing face masks that there's a virus still circulating around, and putting 800+ Thais per day into hospitals because of COVID.

And a virus that has 480 people in Thailand currently hospitalized with severe COVID symptoms, including 263 of those requiring intubation just to breathe.

From today's latest update by the Th MoPH:

Screenshot_6.jpg.6851c19a0677bc83fffd403ed86ec4db.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106142991004034/655372496081078/?type=3

Best not to think about it, right? And the Thai government certainly is trying to help in that direction by ceasing to publicly report daily COVID stats and lifting pretty much all restrictions.

So it will be interesting to see what will happen when the inevitable NEXT COVID wave comes.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thumbs Up 1

And likewise from the latest MoPH update:

Less than half of Thai school children ages 5-11 have thus far received even the basic two first COVID vaccine shots, and only 1.2% of them have received a third shot booster.

Not to mention, barely half of the most at risk senior citizen population age 60 and above have received their third shot booster vaccine dose thus far that is important for protecting again COVID serious illness and death.

Screenshot_7.jpg.ac2cdb0b3d0511d26f922f604e622ea5.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106142991004034/655372509414410/?type=3

• Thumbs Up 1

It appears that the mask regulations will be staying put for Public Transport, of course this will upset a few on here who dislike the masks.

This comes from the following link

Friday’s News-Sept 30 | Hua Hin Expat News

Masks rule to stay for public transport, cinemas

Wearing face masks on public transport and in cinemas is still mandatory, the Department of Health said.  Covid-19 will be eased from a dangerous communicable disease to a communicable disease under surveillance on Saturday, as re-stated on Thursday by Dr. Aekkachai Piansriwatchara, a deputy director of the Department of Health, Ministry of Public Health.  The department held a press conference on sanitation and environmental health standards after the reclassification of the virus.

Edited by ThailandRyan

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It appears that the mask regulations will be staying put for Public Transport, of course this will upset a few on here who dislike the masks.

This comes from the following link

Friday’s News-Sept 30 | Hua Hin Expat News

Masks rule to stay for public transport, cinemas

Wearing face masks on public transport and in cinemas is still mandatory, the Department of Health said.  Covid-19 will be eased from a dangerous communicable disease to a communicable disease under surveillance on Saturday, as re-stated on Thursday by Dr. Aekkachai Piansriwatchara, a deputy director of the Department of Health, Ministry of Public Health.  The department held a press conference on sanitation and environmental health standards after the reclassification of the virus.

That's interesting. The signs I saw on the BTS were advisory. Is this a recent change?

17 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

That's interesting. The signs I saw on the BTS were advisory. Is this a recent change?

Guess that's BTS's take on them. as well as MRT.  I know that the Government offices still expect you to wear one.  Only ones I see taking them off in the post office and such are foreigners.  Thai's still at over 90% wearing around in public in BKK and almost all I see in Malls are wearing them, same when going into buildings. Until someone actually comes out in a televised broadcast, which should be the man who runs the country, and says no more masks except here, there and in this location, then one can expect there to be continued confusion and therefore continued mask wearing.

I Think the BP, who we can not link to has an article today referencing the mask wearing.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1