COVID-19 preventive measures in schools to be lifted from October 1st

webfact

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This is great news. Now that daily cases are down to a trickle, there is barely any reason for masking anymore.

However, I still see kids bicycling around with masks on and riding motorbikes with masks on. Will the extreme paranoia end? How long will it take people here to develop a comfort level, that allows them to leave a mask behind?

A little knowledge would be in order for the general population as well as the authorities regarding the current state. Could easily been suggested worldwide some 2-2.5 years ago. Sadly, it never evolved in this manner. 

Better late than never. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

From Saturday, face-mask wearing all the time in schools, seat distancing of 1-2 metres, limits on the number o participants in group activities, the provision of additional hand cleaning facilities and daily disinfecting of classrooms, toilets and frequently touched will cease.

But Anutin in his sheer arrogance will continue to make snide remarks towards foreigners.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

Absolutely wonderful news for the children and teachers!!!

Unless they get Covid which is still with us... a family I know both parents and three school aged children all were tested positive Monday.

I'm not saying I don't agree with revising precautions but don't for one minute believe it's all over.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

It was never about children getting sick, but protecting vulnerable members of the family.

Then it's even worse than I thought.

If it was a misguided attempt to save the children themselves, I could tolerate that. But punishing children to try to save adults? That is truly awful and soulless.

There is a reason they shouted "Women and children first!" before lowering the lifeboats on the Titanic - these people are quite simply the future of the race.

Shouting "Geriatrics first - children to the back of the queue!" is neither a sensible nor, I would argue, a moral policy.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

So just let the virus rage and kill a load of people because you can't cope with a year of study online?

Let me first echo your generous sentiment by saying that you are entitled to your opinion, but I think you are engaging in some first-class catastrophising here.

I don't think there is any data to show that children being allowed to go about their normal routine would have caused the virus to "rage and kill a whole load of people" or that that in any way equates to a policy of "let the adults die".

Certainly that was not the experience in Sweden, where a short closure period for higher education was brought to an end in June 2020 because "it would not be an efficient and effective measure to stop the spread of the virus".

As for online learning, that may work to an extent for some families in richer countries, but it does not adequately replace the full experience of attending school.

10 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

You're entitled to your opinion, but most people were OK with kids having a year of studying online if it meant their mother, father, husband, wife, etc., didn't die.

That's a rather binary choice: if your child doesn't study online, someone you love will die?

I suspect the people who were okay with kids having a year of studying online were nice middle-class folk with the infrastructure to let their children study at home (dedicated space, a laptop/Ipad, high speed internet), likely with their children attending a private school. I can assure you that the home learning experience for many poorer pupils at state schools was not a good one [my sister being a teacher at an inner city primary].

If not studying online for a year = someone in your house will die, then of course that's a pretty clear cut choice.

However the reality was study online for a year = potentially long-term and significant impacts to your child's educational progress, and a mildly enhanced risk that someone in your house might get sick.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, mnomad said:

Got an appointment in October at CW, I still suspect I'll have to wear a mask that day, seen the young ones snap at the farangs even though some of aunties working there no longer wear them, it will the first time (from today at least) and last time I suspect I'll wear a mask (yes that includes flights, BTS, cinema etc..) anywhere in Thailand.  Banks will probably fall inline next week I suspect.

You are being sarcastic right?  It will take a long time to trickle down and still many will wear masks.....not your choice to tell others what to do.  You can go sans mask and if asked to wear one and you do not then you will be asked to move along.

Poor kids, and not just here, but in virtually every country they have paid by far the biggest price for the overreaction of the adults to covid.  Not only did they lose face to face education at the most important part of their lives, but they will be spending the rest of their lives (and probably their kids lives) paying the cost of the 2.5 years of utter madness of weak leadership and profiteering pharma companies.  

They will become very resentful adults when they come to realise the true cost of what the adults of today have done to their lives, even though covid was basically harmless to them.    If there was another Titanic disaster I have no doubt that 70%-80% of adults of today would sacrifice the children so they could get themselves a seat on the lifeboat.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, James105 said:

Poor kids, and not just here, but in virtually every country they have paid by far the biggest price for the overreaction of the adults to covid.  Not only did they lose face to face education at the most important part of their lives, but they will be spending the rest of their lives (and probably their kids lives) paying the cost of the 2.5 years of utter madness of weak leadership and profiteering pharma companies.  

They will become very resentful adults when they come to realise the true cost of what the adults of today have done to their lives, even though covid was basically harmless to them.    If there was another Titanic disaster I have no doubt that 70%-80% of adults of today would sacrifice the children so they could get themselves a seat on the lifeboat.   

I bet those 10 million kids who lost parents are even sadder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, James105 said:

Maybe instead of your take on how the Children will grow into resentful adults they will become truly engaged in society knowing that they spared the lives of family and friends by not becoming infected and wearing a mask while also being vaccinated.  I know my 2 nieces feel this way.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I bet those 10 million kids who lost parents are even sadder

What does that even mean?   Due to the decreased life expectancy caused by poverty these same kids will end up sacrificing more years of their own lives to give (maybe) a little bit extra life for people who already had lived their lives.    Covid only rarely took the lives of healthy, young individuals.   

This is why the answer to the "trolley problem" shouldn't be to pull the lever as the unknown or unintended consequences of intervening could cause far more devastation than pulling the lever.   

Just now, James105 said:

What does that even mean?   Due to the decreased life expectancy caused by poverty these same kids will end up sacrificing more years of their own lives to give (maybe) a little bit extra life for people who already had lived their lives.    Covid only rarely took the lives of healthy, young individuals.   

This is why the answer to the "trolley problem" shouldn't be to pull the lever as the unknown or unintended consequences of intervening could cause far more devastation than pulling the lever.   

Again your view and not the view of others. Agree to disagree as it seems your getting wrapped around the axels like you do when we discuss a topic. You never can find middle ground.

• Like 1

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

Again your view and not the view of others. Agree to disagree as it seems your getting wrapped around the axels like you do when we discuss a topic. You never can find middle ground.

I would change my mind if the stats supported it, but they don't, so I cannot.