COVID-19 preventive measures in schools to be lifted from October 1st

webfact

2 minutes ago, OJAS said:

So when are preventive measures going to be lifted in immigration offices and banks then?

Got an appointment in October at CW, I still suspect I'll have to wear a mask that day, seen the young ones snap at the farangs even though some of aunties working there no longer wear them, it will the first time (from today at least) and last time I suspect I'll wear a mask (yes that includes flights, BTS, cinema etc..) anywhere in Thailand.  Banks will probably fall inline next week I suspect.

• Like 1

Just now, mnomad said:

Got an appointment in October at CW, I still suspect I'll have to wear a mask that day, seen the young ones snap at the farangs even though some of aunties working there no longer wear them, it will the first time (from today at least) and last time I suspect I'll wear a mask (yes that includes flights, BTS, cinema etc..) anywhere in Thailand.  Banks will probably fall inline next week I suspect.

You poor thing......????

1 hour ago, mnomad said:

Let's hope the Ministry of TV Broadcasting (or whatever it is call) appeals for an end to mask wearing on TV for one final kick in the teeth to the masking bedwetters..  

IMHO the final kick would be more appropriately directed at those who are responsible for, in effect, offering those using banks and immigration offices up as sacrificial lambs on the high altar of Social Distancing by making them stand for ages for their ticket numbers to be called through drastic reductions in the amount of seating available.

Edited by OJAS

55 minutes ago, mnomad said:

And you will doubtless also be forced to stand for ages waiting for some ticket number to be called at some stage as the amount of available seating is, I assume, extremely limited at CW these days if the practice followed at my local office (Rayong) is also being followed there. If I were in your shoes I would be far more irritated by being forced to comply with this bloody social distancing nonsense much against my will than any requirement to wear masks.

Why is it that those who complain bitterly on Asean Now threads about having to wear masks always choose to remain completely silent on the issue of continued mandatory compliance with totally ridiculous and increasingly irrelevant social distancing requirements these days? Slavish adherence to these particular requirements can result in considerable discomfort to - and, indeed, suffering by - those who, like myself, are unable to stand on their feet for any length of time in overcrowded immigration offices (and, for that matter, banks as well) as a result of some physical disability - in ways which the wearing of masks IMHO does not.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, OJAS said:

And you will probably also be forced to stand for ages waiting for your ticket number to be called as the amount of available seating is, I assume, extremely limited at CW these days. If I were in your shoes I would be far more irritated by being forced to comply with this bloody social distancing nonsense much against my will than any requirement to wear masks.

Why is it that those who complain bitterly on Asean Now threads about having to wear masks always choose to remain completely silent on the issue of continued mandatory compliance with totally ridiculous and irrelevant social distancing requirements these days? Not only does the practising of social distancing result in irritation but also considerable discomfort to those who, like myself, are unable to stand on their feet for any length of time in overcrowded immigration offices (and, for that matter, banks as well) as a result of some physical disability.

I definitely empathize with you and fully agree it's ridiculous, I do expect they will go hand in hand and will fade away at roughly the same time as masks  - most of the big X stickers have been worn down now can't see them being replaced, although with immigration it could be weeks away..  With reduced mobility I'd just take a seat and see what happens, this late in the game even the young fierce ones might think twice at taking a pop.  To answer the question though, the social distance requirements are less in my face (no pun intended) - immigration and banks maybe once a month - e.g. none on flights or BTS or even in hospital waiting rooms now

Edited by mnomad

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This is great news. Now that daily cases are down to a trickle, there is barely any reason for masking anymore.

However, I still see kids bicycling around with masks on and riding motorbikes with masks on. Will the extreme paranoia end? How long will it take people here to develop a comfort level, that allows them to leave a mask behind?

@spidermike007 I think them not wanting to be different from the crowd is a factor though. hopefully once a few stop wearing them it will have a snowball effect. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

So when are preventive measures going to be lifted in immigration offices and banks then?

I've been to immigration offices and various banks in Chiang Mai without a mask and nobody even raised an eyebrow. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Children packed together in classrooms and then going home to be around their elderly relatives were obviously very strong vectors for transmission.  Catch covid at school, take it home and kill their parents or grandparents.

I'm not sure how you can't see that.  The only reason we can relax now is Omicron and vaccines.  Prior to that, school children, understandably, had to be prevented from catching and passing a dangerous virus onto their unvaccinated relatives.

And you think masks helped with that?  Children could and did get Covid in many places and inevitably it was sometimes passed on to unvaccinated relatives - that's what happens in a pandemic.  Hopefully, most families were sensible enough to not remain unvaccinated.  The damage done to children psychologically may never be repaired.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

How could they not?

Of course.  But ten neighbourhood kids hanging out together in the street and getting covid is not comparable to hundreds or thousands of kids getting covid at school.

Just imagine these ten kids each go to a different school.  They each pass it onto several of their classmates and teachers, they then pass it on to their friends and other teachers, then they take it home to their parents and grandparents.  That's a lot more than simply those close to the original kids.

Again, not sure how people cannot comprehend that.

I tried to comprehend it at the time (and on this Forum).  But in hindsight I believe it has generally been accepted (globally) as an over-reaction that had minimal effect.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I tried to comprehend it at the time (and on this Forum).  But in hindsight I believe it has generally been accepted (globally) as an over-reaction that had minimal effect.

"Minimal effect", so it did have an effect which saved lives......????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Unless they were exchanging raised eyebrows while you weren't looking and then slagged you off when you left.

And you'd care about that because....?

17 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I think some have admitted that perhaps the virus was not as deadly as first thought, but I haven't heard anyone say that face masks didn't work, and we have, of course, seen numbers go up since anti-covid measures were reduced. If Delta was still around, even that might not be possible.

Keeping children at home from school reduced transmission, as do face masks and social distancing. We can obviously discuss whether the reduction in cases was/is worth the impact on people's lives, but I don't think you can refute the facts of their effectiveness.

• Like 2