US Embassy in Russia tells Americans to leave the country

Scott

51 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Are you suggesting that American citizens (not dual nationals) might be forcibly drafted into the Russian army? That’s what I understand from your post.

Of course not. But if they close the border to all, they would be part of all. 

There are plenty of reasons for Americans to leave regardless.

Putin because he has been humiliated by Ukraine can't be seen to admit that the country that he has trashed as inferior for so long did that to him. So he's blaming Nato, the West, and especially the U.S. If Putin escalates in some way that goes beyond the Ukraine and/or Nato responds to escalated atrocities like nuclear, chemical, attack a target in a Nato country, etc. who in their right mind would want to be an American there then, enemy number one?

Edited by Jingthing

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

This is about the US telling its citizens to leave Russia, they are not refugees leaving on mass some war torn country with babies in hand. Get a grip

Correct. So if the flights are full and they want to get out, they can walk. What’s wrong with that?

26 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Have you not seen other war refugees walk for days and weeks on hand, seeking asylum in another country?

image.jpeg.3ec84c380c464dc3b9b4e9f50960a99d.jpeg

Fleeing mandatory military service is not grounds for refugee status. 

1 minute ago, Gweiloman said:

I see. But I’m sure that any foreigner that wants to leave will be allowed to, unless they have committed a crime.

I wouldn't assume anything. In a full war, they could trump up charges, make them pawn hostages. It's insane for an American to stay there now if they can possibly get out or I guess exceptions would be traitor Americans like right wing extremists that still love Putin. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scott said:

Makes sense. I reckon exceptions might be Russians with a record of dissent against Putin and justified fear of being murdered for that, etc.

Of those Russian "draft dodgers" I reckon the vast majority understanably just want to save their own keister (Putin was OK with most Russians before he turned on them personally) but among them are legit dissenters and principled ones that don't want to murder innocent Ukrainians.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Scott said:

My point is that in the absence of other forms of transportation, walking is a viable alternative. 

Also, it’s unimaginable that Russia could or would draft non citizens into its army.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I wouldn't assume anything. In a full war, they could trump up charges, make them pawn hostages. It's insane for an American to stay there now if they can possibly get out or I guess exceptions would be traitor Americans like right wing extremists that still love Putin. 

Although I agree with you, there are always situations which make it almost impossible to get out.  I am reminded of a young lady in a different country and some years ago who was pregnant.  She was facing a particularly problematic pregnancy and due to her medical problems was not allowed to leave.   I've also known other situations which made it almost impossible for people to leave.  The human condition is always in play.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think the embassy is saying that their help in this crisis situation can be expected to very limited or nonexistent. 

Sure thats understandable but they will certainly advice on flights if any available and what transport to get out of Russia if not.

10 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

My point is that in the absence of other forms of transportation, walking is a viable alternative. 

Also, it’s unimaginable that Russia could or would draft non citizens into its army.

Well, if they're close enough to Finland, that would be the place to go as unlike Russians, Americans don't need a visa for there.

I do recall a report in the Georgia crossing that they weren't.

accepting walk overs, so people were buying bicycles! 

Russians don't need a visa for Georgia so the lines were the longest there as Georgia is desirable.

However, because of the Russians, rents in Georgia have skyrocketed and now there is an understandable BACKLASH from the Georgians. 

Some of the draft dodgers and headed towards Asia, Thailand, Bali, and Vietnam. 

I predict it is probable that Russia will greatly tighten up on Russians exiting very soon. Maybe only for Rusian men, maybe for all Russians, maybe for all.

The embassy was probably in error to wait this long to make this warning.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Sure thats understandable but they will certainly advice on flights if any available and what transport to get out of Russia if not.

There are almost no flight seats available and the prices have gone up for example FIVE FOLD or more. But they don't need a flight to the USA. Just to get out of Russia somehow and then fly from there.

21 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

They can’t even do a Kabul, another unintended consequence of poorly thought out actions.

5 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

They can’t even do a Kabul, another unintended consequence of poorly thought out actions.

This is not about Kabul and they can certainly advice citizens the best routes to leave Russia without the need to walk 100's of kilometers

50 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Please tell what world power has had a more peaceful dominance than the America you hate? 

Dominance. Interesting choice of words. So you think that dominating other countries is acceptable? Akin to bullying.

And peaceful? Please don’t make me laugh.

America may not have expanded its borders in the last 70 years. But do you deny that America has been involved in more wars than any other country in the last 70 years? And for what? Regime change. And the poster that I was responding to is hoping that the US will do something to Russia. That’s why America is hated by many countries around the world.

So as you admit America hasn't expanded its borders and focus on other details.  You claimed America is the worst war monger?  America is far from prefect but would you rather have Russia and China dominate?  The world is not currently in  a place where peace rules but maybe someday.  I I have my doubts,  In the end, we all seem do do what is better for our specific interests.  America seems to have managed human nature much better than prior powers?  What world power wasn't hated by many? 

Think you need to educate yourself on human nature and let go of the evil hate you possess. The world would be a much better place without all the hate you condone.  Also would advice spending some time with learning how to think critically and without emotion.

Edited by atpeace
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

Of course Russia, (Soviet Union) does have a past history of doing exactly that. In the aftermath of D Day the Brits found a couple prisoners/soldiers, they could not identify, or talk too. Turns out they were Mongolian sheep herders captured by Russian press gang teams operating across the Mongolian border. They were then captured by the Germans, who put them on their western front. 

Russia is grabbing as many as they can. If they scooped up some expat US citizens wandering about I'm sure they would love it. Likely they are making Brittney an offer right now. 

Edited by LomSak27
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, atpeace said:

So as you admit America hasn't expanded its borders and focus on other details.  You claimed America is the worst war monger?  America is far from prefect but would you rather have Russia and China dominate?  The world is not currently in  a place where peace rules but maybe someday.  I I have my doubts,  In the end, we all seem do do what is better for our specific interests.  America seems to have managed human nature much better than prior powers?  What world power wasn't hated by many? 

Think you need to educate yourself on human nature and let go of the evil hate you possess. The world would be a much better place without all the hate you condone.  Also would advice spending some time with learning how to think critically and without emotion.

No, I wouldn’t rather have Russia or China dominate, same as I wouldn’t want any one country to dominate. Why does America want to dominate?

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Joe Biden on Thursday said he would prevent China from passing the United States to become the most powerful country in the world, 

Condescending of you to tell me to educate myself on human nature. But par for the course I guess. A lot of hate, if you ask me, in America. Hate against the blacks, Asian Americans, LGBTQ’s etc.

The world will be a better place if you and your like would look in the mirror, as suggested by MJ.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Of course Russia, (Soviet Union) does have a past history of doing exactly that. In the aftermath of D Day the Brits found a couple prisoners/soldiers, they could not identify, or talk too. Turns out they were Mongolian sheep herders captured by Russian press gang teams operating across the Mongolian border. They were then captured by the Germans, who put them on their western front. 

Russia is grabbing as many as they can. If they scooped up some expat US citizens wandering about I'm sure they would love it. Likely they are making Brittney an offer right now. 

Nah. The Russian army wouldn’t want their soldiers killed by ‘friendly’ fire.

3 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

No, I wouldn’t rather have Russia or China dominate, same as I wouldn’t want any one country to dominate. Why does America want to dominate?

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Joe Biden on Thursday said he would prevent China from passing the United States to become the most powerful country in the world, 

Condescending of you to tell me to educate myself on human nature. But par for the course I guess. A lot of hate, if you ask me, in America. Hate against the blacks, Asian Americans, LGBTQ’s etc.

The world will be a better place if you and your like would look in the mirror, as suggested by MJ.

Quite a lot of hate in China:

China responsible for ‘serious human rights violations’ in Xinjiang province: UN human rights report

17 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Ah, another propaganda piece from the collective west. All the videos I’ve seen shows how happy the people in Xinjiang are and how their lives have benefited from the central government.

In any case, this thread is not about human rights. Try to stay on topic.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Ah, another propaganda piece from the collective west. All the videos I’ve seen shows how happy the people in Xinjiang are and how their lives have benefited from the central government.

The UN is not the west, China is also a member along with 192 other nations & you were the one that brought up China in you post

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I didn't know that the UN was the collective west.

China denounces U.N. report detailing human rights abuses of Uyghurs

Sep 1, 2022 12:11 PM EDT
BEIJING (AP) — The U.N. accused China of serious human rights violations that may amount to “crimes against humanity” in a long-delayed report examining a crackdown on Uyghurs and other mostly Muslim ethnic groups. Beijing on Thursday denounced the assessment as a fabrication cooked up by Western nations...

Still, among Uyghurs who have fled overseas, there was a palpable sense of relief that the report had finally seen the light of day since many worried that it would never be published. 

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/china-denounces-u-n-report-detailing-human-rights-abuses-of-uyghurs#:~:text=China denounces U.N. report detailing human rights abuses of Uyghurs,-World Sep 1&text=BEIJING (AP) — The U.N.,other mostly Muslim ethnic groups.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I didn't know that the UN was the collective west.

China denounces U.N. report detailing human rights abuses of Uyghurs

Sep 1, 2022 12:11 PM EDT
BEIJING (AP) — The U.N. accused China of serious human rights violations that may amount to “crimes against humanity” in a long-delayed report examining a crackdown on Uyghurs and other mostly Muslim ethnic groups. Beijing on Thursday denounced the assessment as a fabrication cooked up by Western nations...

Still, among Uyghurs who have fled overseas, there was a palpable sense of relief that the report had finally seen the light of day since many worried that it would never be published. 

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/china-denounces-u-n-report-detailing-human-rights-abuses-of-uyghurs#:~:text=China denounces U.N. report detailing human rights abuses of Uyghurs,-World Sep 1&text=BEIJING (AP) — The U.N.,other mostly Muslim ethnic groups.

https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases/2022/01/guantanamo-bay-ugly-chapter-unrelenting-human-rights-violations-un-experts

17 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The UN is not the west, China is also a member along with 192 other nations & you were the one that brought up China in you post

Wrong. I brought up China in the light of America wanting to prevent another nation from succeeding. The hatred I brought up is what’s happening in America. Just look at how many videos there are of violations of human rights by the police (mostly white) against their own countrymen (mostly blacks). So much racial profiling, racism is obviously systemic and institutionalised.

Would you like some links?

23 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

The difference is I'm not denying that the United States committed human rights abuses at Guantanamo Bay. But you are denying that China committed massive human rights abuses against the uyghurs.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Wrong. I brought up China in the light of America wanting to prevent another nation from succeeding. The hatred I brought up is what’s happening in America. Just look at how many videos there are of violations of human rights by the police (mostly white) against their own countrymen (mostly blacks). So much racial profiling, racism is obviously systemic and institutionalised.

Would you like some links?

Links about the USA asking its citizens to leave Russia ?