Pink id card problem

EvetsKram

On 9/30/2022 at 4:59 PM, carlyai said:

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I used my Thai ID at Khon Kean University 'after hours clinic'. Registered with it and no passport. So I'm not sure if the Thai ID made a difference as the origional quote for a proceedure was B40000 but ended up paying around B22000.

I use my Thai ID everywhere.

Quite. i was one of the first to get a pink card and re-registered at the hospital with it shortly after. When the pandemic was on the hospital put me on Mor Phrom well before the vaccine rollout began. I was vaccinated about 9am the morning the rollout started, Thai ID certainly made a difference.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I honestly find it hard to believe that farangs can open a bank account with a 'Pink ID'. 

Why, you have been advised it has been done by many of us, yet you still walk with closed eyes believing it can not be done.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I honestly find it hard to believe that farangs can open a bank account with a 'Pink ID'. 

My bank accounts were all opened years ago with my passport. I got my pink ID card in 2010 and the SCB changed my four bank accounts across to my ID card. So easy now not having to carry my passport around. I use the iD for registering into hotels and on domestic flights. However, this year for the first time, I encountered a problem with one airline who wanted identification in English as my air ticket was issued in English. I showed them my driver's licence and that was accepted. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Read what I wrote!

It said nothing opening an account, I was depositing money into my children's accounts, i.e. trying  to give the bank money in Thai Baht.

5 hours ago, Michael Hare said:

I got my pink ID card in 2010

Do you have PR? 

I got my yellow book in March 2010 and there were no pink cards available for the average expat then.

They were first introduced in 2008 but it wasn't till much later till after the 2014 coup that they became generally available under the second phase.

The serial number on mine is No 7 out of Mueang Chonburi, and as it happens I met a guy with No 6.

29 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Do you have PR? 

I got my yellow book in March 2010 and there were no pink cards available for the average expat then.

They were first introduced in 2008 but it wasn't till much later till after the 2014 coup that they became generally available under the second phase.

The serial number on mine is No 7 out of Mueang Chonburi, and as it happens I met a guy with No 6.

Yes, I have PR. My serial number starts with 8, which shows I have PR, but the average official in Thailand wouldn't know that. Most expats who are on a long-term visa have an ID starting with 6. I don't know what the ID number starting with 7 indicates. Must be something to do with your type of visa. 

On 9/29/2022 at 4:13 PM, tomazbodner said:

Pink ID is only valid in the province of issue. To travel outside that province, you would need to use your passport or some other identification. If number on the card doesn't start with 8, you might be asked to provide additional documentation even in the province (as Pink ID is valid for 5 years, but does not indicate immigration status).

That really only applies to foreign workers from neighboring countries , i have used my pink card to check in to hotels no problem. Not sure at what age it starts but mine is valid for life.

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, Michael Hare said:

Yes, I have PR. My serial number starts with 8, which shows I have PR, but the average official in Thailand wouldn't know that. Most expats who are on a long-term visa have an ID starting with 6. I don't know what the ID number starting with 7 indicates. Must be something to do with your type of visa. 

I believe the first digit 7 is for children of people with a 6 first digit card born in Thailand.

My ID card number starts with 5, which caused enormous confusion when I first applied for the pink card.

https://thailandformats.com/idcards

Edited by Boksida
Added URL

18 minutes ago, Boksida said:

I believe the first digit 7 is for children of people with a 6 first digit card born in Thailand.

My ID card number starts with 5, which caused enormous confusion when I first applied for the pink card.

My GF's Pink ID card starts with 0 and using the program you supplied says the 13 digit number is invalid and the box is red.  Mine starts with a 6 and the box shows valid and is green.  My card was issued in March of 2013 when my Yellow book was created.

Edited by ThailandRyan

32 minutes ago, Boksida said:

Mine starts with a 6, I definitely wasn't born here...????

My Yellow book has a number, my ID number is that number with a 6 in front of it...

2 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Category  1 & 2. What's the advantage of registering ones name within or not in 15 days? Ponder

My GF's half Thai daughter, when she turned 7 was supposed to obtain her Thai ID card as per the law.  Her Thai father failed to do it as required, and this year during the school semester (which just ended), he was called by the school and told she needed an ID card or she could not go on trips.  He then took her out of school and headed to the local Amphur (who fined him 100 baht) and then did her Thai ID card of which the 13 numbers start with the number 2.  It is silly actually.  Still trying to figure out why my GF's pink non-Thai ID card starts with a 0.

Just a heads up.

I got my covid vaccines with the pink card.

Received the Thai certificate after jabs.

Didn't think anymore about it till now when need to travel and a mate said get a digital copy.

Locked on to the QR code and it came up as my nationality as Nigerien.

Put it down to bad data entry where i got the jabs.

Went back to same place and they entered the correct info.

That would of taken some explaining at the check in????

1 minute ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Just to correct you there. No show of ID card then she cannot take exams.

well she is only 7 will be 8 in 10 days......exams will be a few years off, unless we decide she needs to go to an international school.

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

To take an exam in Thailand you have to show your ID card.    durh 

No, one doesn't. I was a teacher in Thailand for 21 years. There is no requirement to show ID to take an exam in school. If you are a registered student, many of whom would be registered before they are 7 years old, one can take an exam.

If you are taking a test outside of school, such as a government test at grade 6,9 or 12. IID will be required. 

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

No, one doesn't. I was a teacher in Thailand for 21 years. There is no requirement to show ID to take an exam in school. If you are a registered student, many of whom would be registered before they are 7 years old, one can take an exam.

If you are taking a test outside of school, such as a government test at grade 6,9 or 12. IID will be required. 

Thats what I thought he was alluding to. The reason the school for my GF's daughter wanted the ID card is for obvious registration reasons particularly funding from the government and then for the entry prices charged for Thai's for museums and such versus the price for folks unable to prove they are Thai.  

Edited by ThailandRyan

On 10/2/2022 at 4:24 PM, IvorBiggun2 said:

The people that post about opening a bank account with Pink ID only, are lying or wishful thinking. For anyone on any type of Visa/extension, passport is definitely required.

Pink ID card has name in thai script only, not acceptable to open the account.

Edited by couchpotato
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, couchpotato said:

The people that post about opening a bank account with Pink ID only, is lying or wishful thinking. For anyone on any type of Visa/extension, passport is definitely required.

Pink ID card has name in thai script only, not acceptable to open the account.

You and those other naysayers are hilarious.  I have opened up two bank accounts using my Pink ID card and the yellow house book.  Of course the banks can do what they want, I have lived here long enough to know that, just like the immigration offices do not do things the same. My Bank books are in Thai Script by the way.

48 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

No, one doesn't. I was a teacher in Thailand for 21 years.

You're talking out yer blurter. I got 3 children aged 13 & 14 (one pair of twins) and they've all just finished their exams. All had to show ID cards. Not all 3 go to the same school.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I have 2 accounts opened and operated with pink ID, The account name is in Thai script, as per the pink ID. 

Im not lying or wishful thinking.

Maybe dont post misinformation on things you obviously know nothing about.

One of my bank accounts, driver's license, and True home internet are also registered with Pink ID. The others were opened before I even knew it existed, so they are opened with passport. Annoyance of course is that passports get full or expire, and you can't even get a new ATM card without first updating the information - which at least 2 of my banks require to be done at original branch where I first opened that account... That can be very far and inconvenient. But I changed PinkID as I moved address and the number is still the same. So that's quite a big benefit of it.

So I fully agree with Peter's post above.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

You're talking out yer blurter. I got 3 children aged 13 & 14 (one pair of twins) and they've all just finished their exams. All had to show ID cards. Not all 3 go to the same school.

I'm afraid not. 

I have written, marked and proctored exams in schools for over 20 years. No ID cards were ever needed. ID sometimes needed in the form of house book or school issued ID.

On 10/3/2022 at 3:36 PM, Michael Hare said:

I never said my ID started with the number 7.

I said the serial number was number 7, the seventh one issued at that amphur.

It was my understanding that only expats with PR qualified under the first phase.