PEA and Solar how low can you go?

On 2/26/2023 at 6:15 AM, Crossy said:

It looks like "someone" has decided that the FT discount is continuing, at least for low users, but I've seen no announcement.

I agree, but for sure I can let you know in 2 weeks as then our Feb - Mar bill is due.

I also wonder if then the discount of the Standard service charge (38.22 THB -> 24.62 THB) is still in effect.

On 10/1/2022 at 8:04 AM, Crossy said:

We "weened" PEA on to lower meter readings over some time (actually by gradually installing more solar). Whether I really needed to I don't know, but a sudden reduction in usage could raise eyebrows. 

My records don't go back to before we had solar but our bills were regularly 5-6k Baht per month. Now we are around 1k or less.

The critical point (as informed by the PEA supervisor) is not to let your meter reader actually see the meter running backwards.

Is it not dangerous to feed back electricity into the grid without the power company knowing ?

If the power company is doing work in the area and there is electricity flowing when they think it is turned off then a worker could end up electrocuted .

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Back-feeding a dead grid is indeed deadly and very illegal!

Every single domestic level Grid-tie inverter has island-protection built-in to prevent just that situation from occurring. Grid goes down, inverter shuts down.

Exporting energy to a live grid is a different situation altogether. The inverter generates slightly greater voltage than the grid and energy flows to the grid.

Thank you for the explanation . But what if the grid tie invertor malfunctions ? Or is that impossible ?

20 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Certainly not impossible, but every inverter malfunction I've seen actually stops it generating (usually with a significant bang and the release of the Magic Smoke). If anything our GTIs (which are on the MEA and PEA "Approved" list) are a little too enthusiastic about shutting down on minor grid disturbances, although they come back up again within a minute or two.

To address the fears of potential solar users I've actually looked into injuries (or worse) caused to linemen by correctly installed grid-tie solar. I've found none. There are a fair number of instances of people hooking up gensets incorrectly (no transfer switch) and back-feeding into a dead grid causing deaths! But in all those cases the lineman in question (or his team-mates) had made an error (or taken a shortcut) in isolating and grounding out of the lines.

Thank you again.

Useful information.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The new FT rate is in 0,9827 THB added per unit on the April - August Period

Previous Ft rate was 0,9343 THB

https://www.pea.co.th/ความรู้เกี่ยวกับไฟฟ้า/ArtMID/606/ArticleID/153118/ค่า-Ft-ประจำเดือน-พฤษภาคม-สิงหาคม-2566

No discounts any more it seems and that is during the Hot Months ????

Edited by MJCM
  • Sad 4

We have it been home for a while ("visiting" Hospitals in Bangkok and Chonburi) and thus the GTI's have been turned off.

Last period (Feb - Mar) we used 61 Units, and prediction for this period (Mar - Apr) is 154 Units ????

It didn't help that the BIL (who looked after our house) forgot :whistling: how to turn on the Solar Pump to feed the Garden tank but instead used the 2HP Pump

Edited by MJCM
SpElLiNg
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, MJCM said:

It didn't help that the BIL (who looked after our house) forgot :whistling: how to turn on the Solar Pump to feed the Garden tank but instead used the 2HP Pump

And you were worried he wouldn't turn it off :whistling:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

And you were worried he wouldn't turn it off :whistling:

Yep :cheesy:

He completely forgot everything. Even the Water Tank that feeds the house was almost empty. Fortunately he showered at home and only used the toilet.

Also the lake (that feeds the Storage tank for our garden) that is filled by a Solar Submersible was almost dried up.

Unfortunately I have to go an stay in BKK in May for a longer period of time and I am afraid what is going to happen with the house. I think we will have to find someone else to take care of the house.

Edit: Heart of Gold has the BIL but his memory ????

Edited by MJCM

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

Unfortunately I have to go an stay in BKK in May for a longer period of time and I am afraid what is going to happen with the house. I think we will have to find someone else to take care of the house.

Automation is definitely your friend. 

Could ChatGPT do it? It seems to be able to do everything else including picking winning Lotto numbers.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Automation is definitely your friend. 

You can do only certain things with automation.

The Water tank that feeds the house is topped up by pump which is set on a timer, which runs 2 times a day

1- 12:00 - 12:30

2- 22:00 - 22:30

But the reason why the Water Tank that feeds the house was almost empty was because something has bitten through a small cable in the pump and thus No water gets into the tank.

We have told him to check the water level in that tank regularly but he forgot.

So when we came home, I checked the water level in the tank and because it was near empty, I checked the pump, started it (manually) and saw the cable that was bitten through. Fixed that (5 min work) and the Pump worked again.

Unfortunately no automation can solve this.

And yes we had taken precautions because it happened before but we have to do a bit more to prevent it in the future. (Wire mesh around the pump etc etc)

I thought about automation.

Monitor the water level and have it send an email out when the level goes below a certain point and then call the BIL ????

https://lastminuteengineers.com/water-level-sensor-arduino-tutorial/

Edit: @Crossy how to prevent that top part of the Sensor to get wet from water spray. Because when the water flows in to the tank it fills it with force thus I am afraid of the spray (splashes)

Edited by MJCM

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

Those are low voltage reed switch types. You can use them to operate a relay to turn your pump off/on.

I have several in my auto tank level system. They need replacing after about 5 years for some reason.

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

I thought about automation.

Monitor the water level and have it send an email out when the level goes below a certain point and then call the BIL

gsm sms alarm module 1500 baht +-

float switch

enclosure box

ais sim 50 baht +  1 year time topup 365 baht

sms.thumb.jpeg.1fbb3cd17fd5e244d85874c6520b1fb1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SomchaiDIY said:

gsm sms alarm module 1500 baht +-

float switch

enclosure box

ais sim 50 baht +  1 year time topup 365 baht

Interesting, do you have a link for that unit?

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, MJCM said:

We just received our PEA Bill for the Period March - April

Total Units used: 152 (which is 91 units more then the previous period :crying: )

Price we have to pay: 599.67 THB

Which makes the price per unit : 3.95 THB

I was expecting a 750 THB+ bill, but to my utter surprise we still got a discount on the FT Charge of 101.90 THB.

Total FT charge (before discount) was 142.01 THB but after the discount (of 101.90 THB) only 40.11 THB Ft remained (so 40.11 THB / 152 Units = FT charge of 0,263 THB per unit.)

Ft charge on the Bill was listed as 0.9343 THB per unit and service charge was discounted to 24.62 THB.

The meter reader has just been and popped our bill into the letter box. and like you the FT discount is still being applied as shown below. 

857056277_2023041503.jpg.d8e1fbd70237d764751ed3baf74436a9.jpg

I thought that they were cancelling the FT discount.  Not that I'm complaining.

• Like 1