PEA and Solar how low can you go?

At the moment we are using a Grid-Tied inverter with 3 panels but we are preparing to get "real" Solar (Hybrid Inverter with 10 Panels).

We normally use on average around 300 Units per month (measured over a period of just over 2 years),  but this month and last month (since we started with the GTI) our bill is already reaching very low heights (for our standards), last month it was 191 Units and this month the prediction is 162 Units.

(Ps: This lowering of our bill is NOT 100% because of the GTI another contributing factor is the weather, lots of rains and thus no watering of the garden)

So a question for the guys with "unofficial" Solar installs that feed back into the grid

How low did your PEA meter go after you installed Solar and what was your normal (before Solar) usage?

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

The critical point (as informed by the PEA supervisor) is not to let your meter reader actually see the meter running backwards.

Thx,

yes and don't go into negative territory, I mean with that, that the Recent reading of the units on your new bill is higher then the Previous reading (or try to keep it at Zero as @Bandersnatch is doing (most of the time ???? )

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

thx

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

First full bill with solar, 28 units and can't feed back to grid due to new digital meter.

When we get our "real" solar installed, I will leave export to the grid off for the first month so the Solar (we will not install an ESS at first) will only contribute to Day time usage. I really am curious what that will do to our bill.

If the bill is too high, I will then turn export ON ????

Our current setup (only 3 panels) already contributes +/- 2 units a day (when it's not raining).

• Like 1

Prior to installing our small scale GT solar system (360 days ago), we were purchasing around 280 - 300 units per month.  The aim of the system was to reduce our bills by 75% thus ensuring that we never got into negative meter readings. 

Like @Crossy,  I weened the readings down incrementally for the first couple of months by activating the 'NO EXPORT' facility for short periods of time during the month to ensure that some 'bright spark' at our local PEA didn't notice a sudden drop in consumption,

Since the system has been operational our bills have been on average around 90 units per month, which is slightly less than I'd hoped for, or approximately 68% solar and 32% purchase.

Foot Note:

In hindsight I'm not to sure if a sudden drop in meter readings will raise any 'alarm bells' with the PEA.  Prior to Covid restrictions being introduced 2 years ago, one of my neighbors (husband, wife and daughter) were living at home and commuting into BKK on a daily basis for work/university.  When the travel restrictions were implemented they rented an apartment in BKK and returned home at the weekends.  The whole family love their ACs which are on day and night, so their bills prior to Covid would have been substantial and there would have been a considerable drop in the number of units purchased each month once they started living in BKK.  I've just spoken to the wife and she advised that they have not been contacted by the local PEA.  So, no problem ????... hopefully.

Edited by 007 RED
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are right @007 RED

When we lived in our old house we had avg readings of well over 300 units, but when we moved  to our new house, the usage dropped to around 40 units because of fridge running, BIL sleeping there sometimes etc  and sometimes much higher when family from BKK were staying there. 

And we had never any questions or enquiries from the PEA as to why.

i will go ahead with my plan and leave the export OFF the 1st month after install and see what that does.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, sidgy said:

Our bill is also creeping up as the wife is a lot more carefree with usage  "as its free" haha

Yours too?? :whistling:

There's a new place going up opposite us, I will be watching closely what kind of meter they get.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

There's a new place going up opposite us, I will be watching closely what kind of meter they get.

Maybe open another thread about it like the "brick" thread and it will another one full of suspense ????

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another question, this time about NO-Export

Suppose you have NO-Export turned on, and your house is only using let's say 300W, but the Panels are producing (again let's say) 1500W.

Where does those approx 1200W (difference between usage and producing) go instead of going into the grid?

Another 11 days to go but we will (estimate) have only used around 169 units in total when the meter reader comes. Previous month we used 191 units so 169 is another 22 units below that :whistling:

This is a screenshot of our last 4 readouts

readout.JPG.f370bb15eba002d554adc11a8cef441f.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Then the wait to see how many months of -0- units used, it takes for them to replace the meter ... ????

No replacing I guess a Software Update

which will do the following

if PEAMeter from KhunLa and Unit IS NOT increasing then

increase anyway

end if

????

Edited by MJCM
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Don't forget you should have received the FT discount of nearly 1 Baht per kWh for under 300 kWh ???? 

144.82 original Ft charge discount of 142.66 THB = 2.16 THB Ft charge. Without it the bill would be over 700 THB.

Edited by MJCM

18 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Does the 'digital' meter has feature to prevent export? newer TOU meter seem to be all digital now

Generally they don't go backwards on export unless programmed to (if you join the FiT scheme).

There are reports of some that actually log exported energy as chargeable, so you actually pay to export, not something you want to do of course.

• 3 weeks later...

Another 13 days before the meter reader comes and we turned off our GTI as the BILL will be really getting low. We are now, if we leave the GTI running (prediction) going into low 100 units used, 87 to be precise that almost 44% lower then the previous month :whistling:

predict2.JPG.66350ca49fb829c597760a63e3681faf.JPG

Edited by MJCM
SpElLiNg
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Expect this month our usage to be IRO 80-90kWh.  

What was your previous months usage from the PEA/MEA, we in 4 months dropped from 262 units to (prediction) 87 units (and could have gone even lower

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2022 at 1:36 PM, MJCM said:

Next month we will be trying to get a bill under 500 THB ????

Last month I said this, today our bill came, and we used 106 Units for a total price of 410.91 THB (inclu the Ft Discount)

Previous month we used 155 units so this month we used another 49 units less.

• Like 1