How are you preparing for the coming cold spell ?

worgeordie

Cold??  Are you feeling alright? I haven't been 'cold' in all the years that I have lived here, unless the aircon was turned up too high.   Okay, in the northern mountains it can get chilly in what is laughingly referred to as 'winter', but how many of us live there?   Cue all the people in the north telling you how 'cold' it can get in January. They forget what 'cold' actually is. 

6 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

A jumper?? 

That's what we call the people who go off the 16th story condo balconies in Pattaya... [other places too] 

if it gets a little chilly on the way down, the jumpers can put on a sweater... 

A sweater ??

That’s what we call the festering sex-pests sweating out last nights pi$$ while walking to their local bar at 10am...  :giggle:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

In Thailand? I have never seen one. And they would be quite expensive. Better buy an electric fan heater for the few days it drops below say 25 degrees.

Yes in Thailand and not particularly expensive either I replaced two aircons recently one for myself A "Gree" i(12000 btu inverter) cost about 15,000 and a cheaper one for the mother in law "MDV" (9000 BTU not inverter) 9999 bt and both have a "heat" mode up to 30 deg C  

To be honest I had not heard of this function previously but then again I never really looked, not put it to the test yet either

2 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Cold??  Are you feeling alright? I haven't been 'cold' in all the years that I have lived here, unless the aircon was turned up too high.   Okay, in the northern mountains it can get chilly in what is laughingly referred to as 'winter', but how many of us live there?   

In Bangkok we would usually get that two week spell of awesomeness when the humidity drops right down and we can turn off the AC and open the windows.... 

... I recall one year, being able to open the balcony doors and enjoy my morning coffee...   in t-shirt, jeans and yes... socks !!!.. 

2 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Cue all the people in the north telling you how 'cold' it can get in January. They forget what 'cold' actually is. 

Its cold enough that people without heating and warm clothes die.... (up north of course). 

And yes, it doesn’t get as cold as it does in the UK... but then we can have the Canadians join this argument and they’ll tell us the UK doesn’t get cold !!....  

We can just agree - its not warm and it can get uncomfortably cool in just shorts and a t-shirt.

An awesome time of year I wish lasted 4 months or more !!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

P-Series

Googled them and got to the USA site for these AC units. 

It said that they could keep a computer/data storage place down to -40 degrees.

Would that be Celsius (Centigrade in old money )or Fahrenheit?

45 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Cue all the people in the north telling you how 'cold' it can get in January. They forget what 'cold' actually is. 

Okay I'll bite! 

Firstly, it's called the cool season, not the cold season.

On occasions it can genuinely get quite chilly up north.

Living outside of Chiang Mai for the last 13 years, I have experienced temperatures first thing in the morning as low as 8°C with patches of dense fog.

I have also experienced days were it has only reached a high of about 12°C during the afternoon.

Granted these occurrences were rare and a few years ago.

In recent years, climate change appears to have put paid to the real cool weather.

Although the elderly Thais still really struggle to keep warm during this time.

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

A few years ago the police reported that 2 men from either Norway or Sweden,

had been found dead on the floor of their kitchen and they died from hypothermia 

these are guys of Viking stock

vikings tended to drink dangerous amounts of alcohol as well. my bet is they were both beyond drunk and the rest is simple really.

my advice, close the window if you get cold. 

eh. no doot aboot it

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, stoner said:

vikings tended to drink dangerous amounts of alcohol as well. my bet is they were both beyond drunk and the rest is simple really.

my advice, close the window if you get cold. 

eh. no doot aboot it

Where do you have your facts from? Just curious ???? 

2 minutes ago, stoner said:

i'm a viking.

Whatever make you feel okay ???? 

Vikings is a myth about everthing from farmers, great engineers, hand craft people to traders to rebels, and not one singular group who killed, raped, robbed and eat psychedelics and drink to much mjød. 

43 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Vikings is a myth about everthing from farmers, great engineers, hand craft people to traders to rebels, and not one singular group who killed, raped, robbed and eat psychedelics and drink to much mjød. 

well that got out of hand really fast. 

Freehand textured cartoon drunk viking.

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Eric the Viking movie was real

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Technology..  I love it!

i read a few days ago that California is going to ban natural gas furnaces. Apparently air quality issues, but I always figured natural gas was pretty clean.

As a Canadian, we loved our natural gas furnaces. They were the only thing saving us from becoming icicles .. Central air cons not particularly common, as it's the opposite problem to Thailand. Only relatively short periods of use..

So maybe this is the future.. Combination air/heat units. Energy efficient. Same eco footprint as regular air unit because the heat is generated by the compressed gas. I didn't know this...

Sounds good to me, but hey... need to expand the outside temperature range to minus 30 Celsius to be useful in Canada!

I have lived in places where I experienced -65C, and others with +50C.

"Feeling cold" (or hot) is a very subjective thing which is not necessarily related to outside temperature. It depends how well you are prepared for it.

In Thailand, I have been driving at night on Doi Inthanon in winter, +4C, and feeling damn cold inside the car (aircon only cold settings, not heating, of course) with relatively poor clothing and windows a crack open to avoid fogging.

In CM, we use a light blanket to sleep in winter at home for 1-2 months, that's good enough.

It can get quite chilly in Chiang Rai in December and January.

All we need is a thick doona on the bed for sleeping, and a couple of small electric heaters I bought on Lazada. The heaters only get used for a week or two, in the evening.

I prepare for the cold by:

- Draining the sprinkler system and blowing it out so it doesn't freeze.

- Buy salt to use on the sidewalks.

- Get out all the wool sweaters and down jackets.

- Cut a few cords of firewood for the wood burning stove.

- Pack a spare set of clothes along with some bottles of water and energy bars in the car just in case I get stuck in a snowstorm.

- Put the snow tires on the car and ensure the chains are available in the trunk ('boot' for some).

- Prepare the ice fishing hut and equipment.

- Make sure I buy a season pass to the Summit county ski resorts.

.......oh wait, that's some of the things I did preparing for the Winter in Colorado. Here in Thailand I just turn the AC off for a month or two.....  ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jerno said:

Chilly? In Thailand? Like what, 20C?  Try the dozens of countries in North Hemisphere that get snow!  Sheesh.

Thanks. ????  
Worst Ive seen is 6c in Nan city. Thats cold sitting around watching TV. Its very cold on a motorbike, especially at speeds.   On a positive note don't really have to put the beer in the fridge. 

(It gets -40 in my hometown, I know cold) 

16 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Okay I'll bite! 

Firstly, it's called the cool season, not the cold season.

On occasions it can genuinely get quite chilly up north.

Living outside of Chiang Mai for the last 13 years, I have experienced temperatures first thing in the morning as low as 8°C with patches of dense fog.

I have also experienced days were it has only reached a high of about 12°C during the afternoon.

Granted these occurrences were rare and a few years ago.

In recent years, climate change appears to have put paid to the real cool weather.

Although the elderly Thais still really struggle to keep warm during this time.

I live in the North, the temperature will drop to around 6 degrees C for a few days each year, for the rest of the winter season the low will hover around 12/14. BUT, in the mountains it will frequently drop below freezing overnight and people will build bonfires in the street for overnight warmth. Many will drink alcohol to stay warm, many of those people will die. Old people, young babies and the sick will die each year, the Red Cross will be out daily handing out blankets at this time. In a bad year over 100 will die from cold weather, that's very low compared to the 29,000 that will die from polluted air each year, burning season trumps cold weather every time. 

• Like 2