How are you preparing for the coming cold spell ?

worgeordie

13 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Can you give a link as I have been looking for bar heaters for the bathroom. It gets cold here and even with a 8000 watt water heater for the shower it is still not hot enough and cold when you get out.

This is probably going to be a colder cold season because of all of the moisture in the ground. Have been here when it was 5C in the morning.

Any Global House store

10 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Here over a decade. Some years ago really “nippy” and I went to Global House and bought an electric fireplace looking el3ctric unit. Have not used it last year but it is on hand if needed.

I did the same thing but with a snow blower.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

FOUR pages and we still can't figure out what to do when the weather turns cold??????

Falangs..........................  you come from a country where the average person weighs 100 stones because they say they need the body fat year round to stay warm.

We should be experts on staying warm..

OK< I'll check back in on page 10

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

FOUR pages and we still can't figure out what to do when the weather turns cold??????

Falangs..........................  you come from a country where the average person weighs 100 stones because they say they need the body fat year round to stay warm.

We should be experts on staying warm..

OK< I'll check back in on page 10

image.png.d903f1b006af51c84a33c0f63f6b5b4b.png

Clothes. I look forward to being able to wear clothes again, instead of just a towel to cover the loins. 

Before coming to Thailand, I used to be a real clothes horse. Usually a darkish navy jacket, grey flannel trousers, blue oxford-weave shirts, and oxblood penny loafers. 

Maybe I will buy a large silk, hand-tied carpet from Pakistan. 

OK. Let's get serious. 

How many of you expect another cold spell as we experienced in the Cool Season of 2013-2014?

That was a Three-Dog Cool Season that we will never forget. 

Anybody here recall that Ridu Yan? It was COLD!

At the time, people were worried if people my age might die of heart attack from the cold. And this ain't no lie. 

That was the year I tried to buy a heat pump. Unfortunately, in Thailand, most ACs do not have this function. 

If you want a decent heat pump, split AC, then you won't find it for sale in Thailand. 

Better try Kyoto. 

This is why I always buy an 8000 watt hot water heater for my shower. 

Actually, 8000 watts is NEVER enough. But, I don't have 440 volts available to my bathroom. 

If a cold snap happens, then I will need a Stiebel Eltron with 16000 watt capacity. 

Or, I have been considering hooking up two 8000 watt Stiebel water heaters in series. This would do the trick. 

But, really, coldness is just a state of mind. 

If it gets really cold for you in Thailand, then just chow down on pemmican, and you will be right as rain, in no time. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin

On 10/2/2022 at 10:06 AM, nigelforbes said:

Most people have never thought to ask, but if they do, they are there. Next time you're in HomePro, ask a sales person. And they are not that expensive.

It's better to invest your money in top of the line cooling units (inverter type) than a heating system that would hardly ever be used. In Pattaya I ride motorcycles late at night to early morning. I have not worn long pants for many years and very occasionally put on a light jacket.

The last time I can remember that the temperatures dropped into the teens was 2009 or 2008. Some years we don't get any cool weather at all. I hope we get some this year. It's a real treat that I look forward too. I bought a small bar heater from Lazada in 2013 as the cool period was longer than usual, but I have yet to use it. It wasn't for me, but for the wife who might complain of cold if the temperature drops below 26C.

The people who live up north are lucky to have such an intense cold period.

the cold season came to bangkok already yesterday. That is earlier than in previous years, might be a sign of lower temperatures this year.

The first thing in the West to prepare for winter would be a flu jab. In thailand it's recommended at the beginning of the rainy season, in May. But whoever hadn't got their one in May, might think of doing it now.

As well as keeping up with many other vaccinations.

All them temporarily boost whole immune system.

Another way of cold season preparation might be getting air filters ready, as burning season and smog are following shortly. 

Edited by internationalism
  • Haha 1

Stiebel Eltron 202151 DHX 15-2 Plus Point-of-Use Tankless Electronic Water Heater, 240V, 14400 Watts. 

Problem SOLVED. 

Most guys here have never enjoyed a proper hot shower in the Cool Season. 

You can buy this water heater for Bt.6000 from Amazon. 

So, get your water pressure up to snuff, and then up your water heater to at least 14,000 watts, and stop shivering while taking a shower. 

Also, if you have good water pressure and enough heat for your water, your bathroom will become totally steamed up in the cool season.. 

And, this will improve your sex life. 

I have had my best sex in steamy rooms. 

Trust me. 

Have you ever wondered why the Snow Monkey of Japan propogates so prolifically in the winter months? 

Steam. 

Snow monkeys love the hot springs in Nagano. 

I went to Nagano with my GF during the Winter Olympics. 

We stayed in a suite with a private bath supplied by the hot spring.

We had a big picture window from our bath overlooking the natural pools outside. 

In these pools, there were many Snow Monkeys 

Most of monkeys were just relaxing and socializing. But, two were doing it... 

Anyway, from our perspective, it seemed pretty intense for me and my GF to be in our own private hot tub while overlooking the Snow Monkeys in their pristine habitat, soaking in warm pools of water, in the snow.

Best sex I have ever had. Not joking. 

There are some delights which even Pattaya cannot offer. 

Sex among the Snow Monkeys, huge drifts of snow, fur trees, steam, snacks, almost indescribable. 

Expensive, but worth it. 

Probably the best time in my life. 

Most people here in Thailand don't understand the magnificence of having plenty of hot water while bathing with your beloved, especially when it's cold outside. 

Japan is best during winter months. 

Not sure if anybody here has read Spring Snow. Yukio Mishima. 

Those school girls walking over the bridge in winter really turned me on when I was a school boy. 

Not sure what else I can say to more evoke feelings of love for cold weather in you. 

Think of cherry blossoms before the last snow has fully melted. 

Think of Spring Snow. 

Think of Nara many years ago. 

Sometimes I wonder if there is any romance left in this world. 

But then, watching the Snow Monkeys romancing in hot spring pools, in the winter, I realize that true romance yet remains among the lesser apes, even if snow monkeys are not apes. 

During the cool season, the place where I do my best thinking is in the shower. 

It's not easy to think much if your water heater is underpowered. 8000 watts is entirely insufficient during the cooler months in Thailand. 

Please keep this word of friendly advice in mind if you wish to retire here. 

During the Cool Season, you can't have too much steam. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin

7 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Snow Monkeys in their pristine habitat, soaking in warm pools of water, in the snow.

Best sex I have ever had. Not joking. 

There are some delights which even Pattaya cannot offer. 

Sex among the Snow Monkeys

Now I know I am talking with a falang!!!!!

Hello Mr. Falang, you must have been to Pattaya!!!! 100%

lol

2 hours ago, internationalism said:

the cold season came to bangkok already yesterday. That is earlier than in previous years, might be a sign of lower temperatures this year.

The first thing in the West to prepare for winter would be a flu jab. In thailand it's recommended at the beginning of the rainy season, in May. But whoever hadn't got their one in May, might think of doing it now.

As well as keeping up with many other vaccinations.

All them temporarily boost whole immune system.

Another way of cold season preparation might be getting air filters ready, as burning season and smog are following shortly. 

Dynamite advice concerning staying current with vaccinations. 

Vaccines are cheap compared to the price of avoidable illness. 

Also, to be jabbed by a Thai nurse can't be bad. 

Some Thai nurses even hand out lollipops if you get your jab and do not cry. 

During the recent two years, the closest I have been to a woman is to get stuck by one. 

These must be troubled times, indeed, if the high point of my year has been to be jabbed by a pretty, and kind, nurse, at the hospital. 

By the way, the girls who give you your vaccines are well trained here in Thailand. 

These girls first aspirate, before going all the way. 

Such a minor thing, yet important. 

Got to admit I had no idea how cold it could feel..... three years in BKK and I never wore anything more than a T shirt.....but last night in Issan, I had on two T shirts, a Jack Wolfskin, jeans........and eventually had to go indoors to warm up.