About 16 provinces across Thailand suffering from severe flooding due to constant rains caused by ‘NORU’ storm since last weekend

webfact

image.jpeg

PHOTO: Thairath

By Nop Meechukhun

Thailand’s Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) on Monday, October 3rd, reported 16 flood-affected provinces across the country due to the batter of the ‘NORU’ storm.

According to the department, about 565 villages, 69 districts, 176 sub-districts in 16 provinces had been tremendously affected by the flood and overflow after the storm battered most parts of the country between September 28th and October 3rd.

The affected areas included provinces in the north, northeast, the central, and the east; namely Lamphun, Lampang, Sukhothai, Phetchabun, Phichit, Tak, Uttaradit, Nan, Phrae, Sisaket, Ubon Ratchathani, Khon Kaen, Chaiyaphum, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buriram, and Prachinburi.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/10/03/about-16-provinces-across-thailand-suffering-from-severe-flooding-due-to-constant-rains-caused-by-noru-storm-since-last-weekend/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-10-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

She walked like a dream from another world.
I'd never seen such a lovely girl.
She smiled as we stood on the sand
but, just as I reached for her hand:

Down came the rain.
It's happened again,
the thunder and lightning,
down came the rain.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Years ago , scientists predicted that the man-made climate change will lead to more frequent weather extremes .

They were right .

Of course , there has been extreme weather phenomenons before already , but not as frequent and damaging as today .

And that is still only the beginning .

Everything is connected .

80% not flooded

Flooding is normal in Thailand

La Nina year ie more rain

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

Catch longtail

None of those here, it's a lake......????

Mind you, it was the same in 2018, and not so bad for the past 15 years we've lived here, except when it was emptied (dammed) for works...????

5 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Years ago , scientists predicted that the man-made climate change will lead to more frequent weather extremes . They were right .

I'm just curious, Nobodysfriend. What do you do when you come across material from respected scientists who DON'T believe the current climatic activity is manmade? 

Do you ignore the above experts and search for material that only agrees with what you want to be true? Or, do you consider both sides of an argument before making an informed decision? 

I may be wrong, but I think skeptics of any scientific doom tend to listen to all sides of an argument before they become skeptical.

I think that because the skeptics often say why they disbelieve in a thing. In contrast, the easy-believers tend only to believe the mainstream narrative and paste links to their heroes. Those who merely quote others are not what you might call independent thinkers. 

I could be 100 percent wrong in my assumptions, in which case, please, do correct me.

• Like 1

A post with a link to the Bangkok Post and the replies have been removed:

16. The Bangkok Post and the Pattaya Mail do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEAN NOW. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Pattaya Mail publications will be deleted from the forum. These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not by ASEAN NOW. In rare cases, forum administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

Off topic posts about the Maldives have been removed.

Off topic posts about the ice ages have been removed. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, blazes said:

Oooh, scientists?  (In medieval times, the priests of the Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic Church were the ones who had to be obeyed, often on pain of death for those who disobeyed.  Today, scientists have taken over that role, and they too have punishments they can mete out.  Instead of facing an inquisition, today's  scientists have "peer review" to censure dissenting voices.)

Scientists are human and are as fallible as any of us on this thread.  As academics, they must all sing from the same hymn sheet (regarding whatever the "consensus" may be on any particular subject at the moment).

Any dissenting voice regarding the consensus will soon find his or her research grants from government or corporations drying up.  And academic "manhood" is determined ONLY by the number of research grants you receive.

Cancellation (career stagnation) awaits those who sing off-key....

This is exactly what happened in the U.S. when independent virologists disagreed with the Covid "experts" from the CDC and its affiliated agencies.

As far as climate change goes, it is cyclical with varying lengths of cycles.  In other words, it is forever changing.

Edited by Hawaiian
correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

I doubt there are many "respected" scientists how fall into that camp

Your response suggests you've never looked at the findings and opinions of opposing sides. Again, it kind of proves my assumptions in the earlier post. I'm not trying to catch people out, but I fail to see how anyone can support a claim when they've not considered opposing sides. I mean, how could they possibly? Thus, it seems that skeptics of this topic—and other hot debates—are better informed.

• Like 2

On 10/4/2022 at 2:59 AM, webfact said:

16 provinces had been tremendously affected by the flood and overflow

For reference from today's International Yahoo News (4 October 2022):

(Bloomberg) -- Thailand is battling the worst flooding in years with a large swathe of its crop land inundated by seasonal storms and swollen rivers, threatening to fuel food prices and hinder a nascent tourism recovery ........ With more storms forecast over the next few weeks, Thai officials are taking steps to minimize further damage to crops and houses............ The biggest damage is to rice crop and it comes amid forecasts for smaller harvests from major producers such as India and Pakistan,................Any potential impact on tourism, which we hope would recover in the next quarter or two, will be a new lesson for Thailand this time, especially as it is the hope for next year’s economic recovery.”

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/worst-thai-flood-years-damage-101429022.html

On 10/4/2022 at 3:48 PM, AddyA said:

Your response suggests you've never looked at the findings and opinions of opposing sides. Again, it kind of proves my assumptions in the earlier post. I'm not trying to catch people out, but I fail to see how anyone can support a claim when they've not considered opposing sides. I mean, how could they possibly? Thus, it seems that skeptics of this topic—and other hot debates—are better informed.

I have, and they are either not climate scientist or are verging on being crackpots.  

3 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

I have, and they are either not climate scientist or are verging on being crackpots.  

Right. All climate scientists who disagree with you are "verging on being crackpots".

I assure you that if you can find the courage to look, you will find a great many well credentialed, widely published, respected and experienced climate scientists who are not convinced that the cataclysmic predictions of activist groups are even close to correct.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

Fair comment. Which ones are you referring to in particular?