Waterproof some outside connections/outlets.

lujanit

Having been through the 2011 flood in BKK for six weeks I need to take some protection considering the current state of play.

I have an electric gate opener, a low positioned power outlet (outside) and a water pump which need protection.  I did some reading and watched some YT videos and it appears di-electric grease and/or a gel (magic Gel by Ray Tech) should waterproof the exposed electrical connections if they go under water.  I used silicone in 2011 with some success although not total.

Does anyone know where to buy either of these products or suitable alternatives in BKK?  I looked on Lazada and at Homepro; zilch unless I'm calling it the wrong thing.  TIA.

4 hours ago, lujanit said:

Does anyone know where to buy either of these products or suitable alternatives in BKK?  I looked on Lazada and at Homepro; zilch unless I'm calling it the wrong thing.  TIA.

Easy to find on Lazada, and yes you are calling it by the wrong name, there’s  no hyphen ???? .

188B8780-98AE-4CC5-B4D6-CBCAE5A86264.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

Thanks Jerome.  Have ordered two tubes on Lazada.  Yes you are right, I searched for di-electric not dielectric on Lazada.  Don't know where the di-electric came from!  I need to use a dictionary more.

• Like 1

Good luck with keeping flood water out.????

Even with a bucket strapped up side down over it, it would be subject to water entry via cable entry or damage from condensation.

Best suggestion, move it up out of harms way.

Edited by bluejets
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bluejets said:

Best suggestion, move it up out of harms way.

I had a new water pump installed about two years ago.  I asked the installer (Homepro) to locate the power box much higher than where the original was.  Now it is well above the 2011 level.  I think I'll just remove or silicone up the outside power point.  Maybe I can move it up the wall about 60 cm.  The gate contraption I can't do much about except smother the contacts with dielectric grease.

18 hours ago, lujanit said:

The gate contraption I can't do much about except smother the contacts with dielectric grease.

Well the bucket idea comes from a commly used principle in pump stations but the drawback is ( as there always is at least one) one has to pressurise the bucket with (ideally) nitrogen during high water conditions. 

Cannot see why moving it up would be a problem that cannot be overcome.

I'd like to bet 2 cents in the dollar one could fit a lead and plug to the internal connections and plug the thing in higher up.

Won't be anything that will save your drive unit not matter how much "grease" you spread around.

17 hours ago, lujanit said:

The bucket idea won't work due to the position of the gate contraption.  You can how how the land is falling.

I reckon your local metal-bashing chap could knock up a new set of rack mountings and a stand to jack up the power unit. Move the whole shebang 300mm up, extend the cables if necessary (use adhesive lined heat shrink to keep the damp out) and you're gold.

Cost? Minimal compared to a new power unit.