Bank Explains Seizing Wrong House, Holding Talks

webfact

Incorrect or non existing property identification can be a problem.

Many years ago we were paid a deposit on our 14 Rai of Eucalyptus by a contractor  who proceeded to remove our neighbor's trees. The contractor had been to our property to evaluate the trees so I don't know what went wrong. To his credit he did compensate the neighbor after TW returned his deposit, he eventually bought ours again!

• Like 1

Both houses looked the same and had no house number on show? Why not? How do they receive mail when they're in residence? What is so hard about putting the number of your house up so anyone, including deliveries, can find you? It also doesn't help having the ridiculous house numbering method that Thailand uses. There was talk many years ago of re-numbering properties to match what happens in the real world, but of course nothing happened.

I believe that Japan has a similar method which make addresses very hard to find.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

The bank said this was so because both houses looked similar and neither had number plates attached.   

So the contractor screwed up. Shouldn't the contractor be responsible /have Insurance to Fully compensate the owners ? 

Responsible... insurance ????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

I don't think bank would make contract with contractors without a penalty clause, in case they wreck something. As it seems contractor was the sloppy one causing this fiasco, you'd expect from bank to pay the damages to prevent lawsuit, and then squeeze blood out of the company breaking into the wrong house. It really isn't the problem of house owners how bank gets compensated by contractors, it was bank that hired them and should take responsibility. But being a state bank... who knows how this would play out.

On the plus side - they got their house renovated (cleaned, repaired, repainted, etc.) I guess?

Wife :Sweetheart the Fresco we had painted on the ceiling of the stars and constellations by that famous painter has been destroyed"

Husband: Darling don't worry we can bring hm back from the dead as the bank will be paying to put the place back as it was"

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 1

It ought to be illegal not to have a number on a house, and it's just common sense when it's on a street of similar houses. Apart from that it's just a courtesy to everyone else.

The owners screwed up through negligence or apathy. This is the result. No sympathy.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wife :Sweetheart the Fresco we had painted on the ceiling of the stars and constellations by that famous painter has been destroyed"

Husband: Darling don't worry we can bring hm back from the dead as the bank will be paying to put the place back as it was"

Any suggestions, more realistic than bringing people back from the dead? I mean I'd love to bring that doctor from dead that was razed by speeding motorcop, but that kind of isn't really possible. Other than with invention of time machine, that's unlikely to change.

So, what should the bank do? What should the contractor do?

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Never really an issue as by the time the medics arrive you already have a crowd gathered outside the residence gawking.

Not necessary, one person finds another in the house very sick, tries to give attention after calling an ambulance. Very common.

1 minute ago, tomazbodner said:

Any suggestions, more realistic than bringing people back from the dead? I mean I'd love to bring that doctor from dead that was razed by speeding motorcop, but that kind of isn't really possible. Other than with invention of time machine, that's unlikely to change.

So, what should the bank do? What should the contractor do?

In my view the family should be compensated, fairly and not overly, for the items taken that were destroyed, clothing, unless photo's showing it was new, can be compensated the same way.  The contractor needs to be held responsible by the bank as they authorized his expenses. To say they have a lawsuit for damaging them personally would be a lie since apparently they did not live there as a primary residence.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Not necessary, one person finds another in the house very sick, tries to give attention after calling an ambulance. Very common.

Where? in the west?  Every time I have ever seen people having some type of medical emergency either here in Bangkok or in a Village mooban, there were always people gathered outside. Now maybe out in the province where houses are not next to another it might be an issue, but this house was in a mooban.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Bank Explains Seizing Wrong House, Holding Talks

My guess is the bank is trying to negotiate the money back that they just wasted on renovation the wrong house

Funny!

As I can see from the pics before and after, it wasnt a very clean house.

It got fully renovated, and looks really great now.

Look at the painting job, the front gate, the garden, kitchen,...

2 million is a bit steep for a free pimp my house

I understand unwarranted entry, burglary, personal stress for loss of pictures,...

But on the other hand, they just won a new house

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The bank said it had purchased house number 99/44 located in a housing estate at Lat Lum Kaeo subdistrict, Mueang district, at an auction for 1.6 million baht.

What is the bank doing buying houses ,I am sure they have plenty foreclosed

properties on their books now they cannot shift.....without buying more.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

Irrespective of whether there were or were not house numbers at the front of the house, the contractor has made a monumental cock up and must be kicking himself (herself). A renovation contract with a bank must be a juicy one and no doubt the bank is going to be looking to the contractor to both complete the renovation on the correct house and cover the renovation costs on the wrong house. 

• Like 1

Looking at the photos on the linked article, the place was a pigsty. If there was anything valuable in that house it would likely have been ruined anyway by mould or whatever. Sentimental items that can't be replaced? Yeah right, that's why you left them in that place.

The contractors should have made 100% sure they were in the right house, but looks like they actually did the house owners a huge favour.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I do have to say though, I think it is irresponsible for anyone not to have number plates on there houses for very obvious reasons, one of them being an ambulance trying to find the house in an emergency.

I'm pretty sure ambulance drivers know the local system and ask for correct directions when they're called somewhere

1 minute ago, LukKrueng said:

I'm pretty sure ambulance drivers know the local system and ask for correct directions when they're called somewhere

It is not just ambulances, taxi drivers, friends looking for your address, delivery drivers, tradesmen.