Bank Explains Seizing Wrong House, Holding Talks

webfact

51 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

What is the bank doing buying houses ,I am sure they have plenty foreclosed

properties on their books now they cannot shift.....without buying more.

regards worgeordie

Speculating using other peoples money.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lesmac said:

Speculating using other peoples money.

Maybe they did not buy the one house but instead foreclosed upon it as a delinquent property as an NPL.

Just think if it was in Windsor Gardens and you had Paddington as your neighbor....

Edited by ThailandRyan

7 hours ago, bdenner said:

Incorrect or non existing property identification can be a problem.

Many years ago we were paid a deposit on our 14 Rai of Eucalyptus by a contractor  who proceeded to remove our neighbor's trees. The contractor had been to our property to evaluate the trees so I don't know what went wrong. To his credit he did compensate the neighbor after TW returned his deposit, he eventually bought ours again!

We live in 9 moo 8, our next door neighbour has 9/3 and 9/5, my wife's old shop is 9/4 but is over 2 km away. There only seems to be 1 postman who knows where 9/1 and 9/2 are.

I think that they allocate house numbers on an as and when basis instead of marking on a map each 40 metre wide frontage in sequence.

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

We live in 9 moo 8, our next door neighbour has 9/3 and 9/5, my wife's old shop is 9/4 but is over 2 km away. There only seems to be 1 postman who knows where 9/1 and 9/2 are.

I think that they allocate house numbers on an as and when basis instead of marking on a map each 40 metre wide frontage in sequence.

I had a house built in Nong Saeng, Udon Thani, the numbers on either side were 67/1 and 67/2, our house was given the house number 67/46......the next number up since all of the numbers were used.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I do have to say though, I think it is irresponsible for anyone not to have number plates on there houses for very obvious reasons, one of them being an ambulance trying to find the house in an emergency.

While I find the lack of a house number silly and possible damaging, I nevertheless  think it' a homeowner's  right not to have one.

Edited by In Full Agreement

9 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

My guess is the bank is trying to negotiate the money back that they just wasted on renovation the wrong house

My guess is they're trying to keep from going to court and being sued for all the damages they did to that family.  (The money to the contractor... Has he even been paid?  The contract is liable to the bank for going to the wrong house and breaking in.)

2 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

My guess is they're trying to keep from going to court and being sued for all the damages they did to that family.  (The money to the contractor... Has he even been paid?  The contract is liable to the bank for going to the wrong house and breaking in.)

Have you seen the before photos of the house? Damages ...thats laughable.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Yes, the number gets applied sequentially as the houses are registered, which may be more to do with when they were built/sold. I am #6, between, #7 and #8.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

What is the bank doing buying houses ,I am sure they have plenty foreclosed

properties on their books now they cannot shift.....without buying more.

regards worgeordie

The bank is not buying the house.

I'd imagine the bank has an outstanding debt to collect, ie if they leant 3M baht to the people buying the house and they've only paid back 2M and stopped paying then  the bank is out 1M ( plus any interest ).

Normally bank sell the house just to cover outstanding debt and any costs involved.

It's a nice little earner for the bank managers and they're cronies, as they'll get inside info when the repossessions are happening, get a cracking price and then re-sell on the open market.

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Both houses looked the same and had no house number on show? Why not? How do they receive mail when they're in residence? What is so hard about putting the number of your house up so anyone, including deliveries, can find you? It also doesn't help having the ridiculous house numbering method that Thailand uses. There was talk many years ago of re-numbering properties to match what happens in the real world, but of course nothing happened.

I believe that Japan has a similar method which make addresses very hard to find.

I'm led to believe property identification is associated with the Chanoot Title ID and not location.

I have the only number visible, in our Tambon, to the road.

Really not necessary now as I'm the only Farang for miles, the postie and Kerry have known me forever.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

It is not just ambulances, taxi drivers, friends looking for your address, delivery drivers, tradesmen.

I never had any problems explaining a delivery driver nor tradesmen where I live.

On the other hand, many years ago in the US of A it took a local person who helped me ages and numerous phone calls to find an address where the number was displayed on the house. Also many years ago in Australia, Melbourne's CBD, a taxi driver I booked had to make 3 u-turns as he couldn't find the building number. The numbers before the intersection were too low and immediately after the intersection too high...

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

The bank is not buying the house.

I'd imagine the bank has an outstanding debt to collect, ie if they leant 3M baht to the people buying the house and they've only paid back 2M and stopped paying then  the bank is out 1M ( plus any interest ).

Normally bank sell the house just to cover outstanding debt and any costs involved.

It's a nice little earner for the bank managers and they're cronies, as they'll get inside info when the repossessions are happening, get a cracking price and then re-sell on the open market.

"The bank said it had purchased house number 99/44 located in a housing estate at Lat Lum Kaeo subdistrict, Mueang district, at an auction for 1.6 million baht." quote from article

Well according to the report they did .....if the Bank had loaned money for the house ,the Bank would

own it , no need to buy at auction ..

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lujanit said:

So the contractor screwed up.

I think you guys are missing the big picture, this is a case of a BANK that gives a LOT of business to these contractors on a regular basis.

If the bank screwed up royally by mistyping the address or whatever, do you think the BANK would admit it and lose almost ALL their customers???

Or do you think they would strongly pressurize the small guy contractor to accept all blame, and then, of-course, the bank would recompensate the house owners for the "contractor's error"?

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

often the roads come later, and further subdivisions just get the slashes meaning what was once a plot system is incomprehensible from the street frontage, often they'd renumber to fix this

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, digbeth said:

often the roads come later, and further subdivisions just get the slashes meaning what was once a plot system is incomprehensible from the street frontage, often they'd renumber to fix this

Our Moo Ban is about 3 km long but is the only road in it apart from a small square  area with about 30 houses on it.

My wife's old shop is registered as 9/4 in our Moo Ban, except that is actually in the next Moo Ban along.

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

"The bank said it had purchased house number 99/44 located in a housing estate at Lat Lum Kaeo subdistrict, Mueang district, at an auction for 1.6 million baht." quote from article

Well according to the report they did .....if the Bank had loaned money for the house ,the Bank would

own it , no need to buy at auction ..

regards Worgeordie

could have been another bank that took it back and auctioned off.....

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, the number gets applied sequentially as the houses are registered, which may be more to do with when they were built/sold. I am #6, between, #7 and #8.

There's also a numbering protocol of 99 or 10 for land which has no other land/houses nearby therefore no other house/building numbers. So what's possible is the first house that appear in the whole vicinity is 99/1. 

My very old English neighbor just mentioned that two hundred years ago and more the numbering of houses was a total mess but during the industrial revolution and the appearance of row houses the numbering started to be logical and this started a trend towards sequential numbering. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

In my view the family should be compensated, fairly and not overly, for the items taken that were destroyed, clothing, unless photo's showing it was new, can be compensated the same way.  The contractor needs to be held responsible by the bank as they authorized his expenses. To say they have a lawsuit for damaging them personally would be a lie since apparently they did not live there as a primary residence.

Absolutely agree.

On 10/5/2022 at 11:36 AM, Mr Derek said:

It ought to be illegal not to have a number on a house, and it's just common sense when it's on a street of similar houses. Apart from that it's just a courtesy to everyone else.

The owners screwed up through negligence or apathy. This is the result. No sympathy.

Unbelievable!

21 hours ago, billd766 said:

Our Moo Ban is about 3 km long but is the only road in it apart from a small square  area with about 30 houses on it.

My wife's old shop is registered as 9/4 in our Moo Ban, except that is actually in the next Moo Ban along.

Really fascinating!