First time visitor to Chiang Mai

Keeps

Hi all,

I am a longtime visitor to Thailand but am planning on visiting Chiang Mai for the first time early November for 17 days with my Thai GF. I have hotels booked (3 different venues but all in what I understand is 'central' Chiang Mai city). I am looking for suggestions for places of interest to visit and things to do during the daytime. I will be reliant on public transport or scheduled tours etc.

Also, I would welcome any restaurant recommendations for both Thai and International cuisine along with suggestions for bars/live music venues that are worth visiting. 

Any other suggestions/pointers for our stay would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:

Why did you choose to come to CM?  Like what did you want to do here?

Yeah really, why would you want to come here? And what do you think you’ll do here? Did you think your Thai girlfriend might like to rent a car or motorcycle and go hang out at Mae Wang and eat lunch along the river and float down the river on bamboo rafts? Or did you thought you would come here and that she might like going to Mae On area and hanging out at Mae Kampong for a night or two? And Mon Jam, she’s Thai and I’m sure she’ll have a great time there doing the selfie thing with the flowers and all and even take a rip down the road on a wooden cart. I’m not much of a boozer so I can’t personally speak of the nightlife at the bars but my local Thai friends like hanging out at the Hom Bar, T Bar, Zoe and others I can’t think of right now. Plenty to do here, more fun and liberty if you rent your own transportation. But for the life of me, I don’t know why on earth you would choose to come to this awesome place ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for your replies. I'll be in Thailand for several months as I do most years. We will be travelling to CM after a few weeks on Samui which is where I'm normally based whilst in Thailand. I've never been to CM and it's on the list so we thought we'd see what's it like.

All my hotel bookings are free to cancel so if we feel it's not for us we can easily move on.

Thanks for your input.

Edited by Keeps
misspelt
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Keeps said:

Thanks for your replies. I'll be in Thailand for several months as I do most years. We will be travelling to CM after a few weeks on Samui which is where I'm normally based whilst in Thailand. I've never been to CM and it's on the list so we thought we'd see what's it like.

All my hotel bookings are free to cancel so if we feel it's not for us we can easily move on.

Thanks for your input.

Why book 3 hotels? Just wasting time moving. CM is best with a car.

9 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Why book 3 hotels? Just wasting time moving. CM is best with a car.

The hotels are in different parts of the city. I can cancel the second and third bookings should I choose to. The first booking is only for three nights. With regards to moving, it's just putting a few things in a suitcase and getting a taxi or tuk-tuk to the next hotel. Noted regarding hiring a car. 

Edited by Keeps
misspelt
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keeps said:

The hotels are in different parts of the city. I can cancel the second and third bookings should I choose to. The first booking is only for three nights. With regards to moving, it's just putting a few things in a suitcase and getting a taxi or tuk-tuk to the next hotel. Noted regarding hiring a car. 

The old city is ok for walking. Rest not much. Just temples n food.

Pick a hotel in the middle of the old city.

• Thumbs Up 1

You plan on being here for 17 days, seems like a while without transportation. You really should consider renting a car or motorcycle to get around on independently, you’ll definitely have a better experience. There’s a lot of places outside of the city that’s not too far. But I understand that some don’t like driving.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Maybole said:

Early November is the Loi Kratong festival which id spectacular. It peaks on the full moon which this year is on the eighth.

Thanks for this. I understand that the Yi Peng Lantern festival is also on the 8th/9th which I am told is quite an eye-catching sight.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keeps said:

Thanks for your replies. I'll be in Thailand for several months as I do most years.

But, as you say in your first post it would be a waste to send more then 17 days with your GF.

• Haha 1

Trip advisor is probably a good place to scout out some day trips... it is a tourist city w/plenty of small shops booking day trips for you... go into any of the little travel shops and they have plenty of brochures... anything from zip lines to cooking classes... and yes, wandering around in the old city has many quaint little restaurants and surprises for you... 

have fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 days is time to take in sights in Chiang Rai too

Wat Rong Khun a must see.

Chiang Doi for a hike and some nice mountain views.

You can rent a car and do the whole loop - up 107, stop in Doi Mae Salong and Doi Tung for the Queens Palace, across to Chiang Rai and Tachileak, on to the Golden Triangle and the Opium Museum. Chiang Khong for an overnight on the Mekong river. Loop back via 118 with a stop by Singha Park.

Waterfalls, Nat'l Parks, many restaurants enroute.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, seedy said:

17 days is time to take in sights in Chiang Rai too

Wat Rong Khun a must see.

Chiang Doi for a hike and some nice mountain views.

You can rent a car and do the whole loop - up 107, stop in Doi Mae Salong and Doi Tung for the Queens Palace, across to Chiang Rai and Tachileak, on to the Golden Triangle and the Opium Museum. Chiang Khong for an overnight on the Mekong river. Loop back via 118 with a stop by Singha Park.

Waterfalls, Nat'l Parks, many restaurants enroute.

Very useful information. Thanks very much for your input.