Refused Non-IMM O at Samui

We were just refused conversion from 30 days on arrival to Non-IMM O at Samui Immigration Office. We used to live here until 2019, left for family reasons and have just come back. We thought we could convert to Non-IMM O here and thereafter do annual extensions as before but Samui Immmigration point-blank refused and said Non-IMM O can only be done at an embassy.

Does anyone have a suggestion? if we have to leave the country again, does anyone have any experience of getting Non-IMM O in a neighbouring country and if so, which country might be best, and what documents do they require?  Thanks in advance

What was the reason you want for apply for the non-o visa for?

You can certainly apply for certain reasons a non-o visa at immigration. Here is a list of the visas that immigration will issue. https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=2537 Click the one you want to apply for and it will open a file with ther requirements.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

We have returned to live here and as we had Non-IMM O's based on retirement with annual extensions before, we thought that was the way to go. If there is an alternative, we can look at it, thanks.

11 minutes ago, Dukgae said:

My question was really that as Samui office refused, what other options are best and what documents do they need (as each office seems to go by its own rules) - thanks

The refusal was a Samui thing.

The requirements for the non O retirement from a visa exempt entry are simple.

800baht in Thai bank account in your name only on day of application.

Couple of photocopies of pp, TM87,  etc.

You require 15 days remaining on your permission of stay to apply for the non O.

You must be near end of permit. You can obtain 30 day extension at immigration.

Do you have Thai bank account? 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dukgae said:

We have returned to live here and as we had Non-IMM O's based on retirement with annual extensions before, we thought that was the way to go. If there is an alternative, we can look at it, thanks.

A non-o visa for retirement  is number 9 on the webpage I posted.

You must have at least 15 days remaining on your current stay to apply and meet the financial requirements.

6 minutes ago, Dukgae said:

My question was really that as Samui office refused, what other options are best and what documents do they need (as each office seems to go by its own rules) - thanks

I suggest you try at the Samui office again. What type of entry do you have now?

The requirements at all offices are about the same.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dukgae said:

We have bank accounts with sufficient funds in. Currently here on getting 30 days visa-free on arrival which expires October 25.

You can apply for the non-o visa with a visa exempt entry. You may have to apply for a 30 day extension before you are able to apply for it.

Go to immigration with the require financial proof from your bank

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dukgae said:

We have bank accounts with sufficient funds in. Currently here on getting 30 days visa-free on arrival which expires October 25.

Seems you will need to obtain 30 day extension as stated earlier you require 15 days left on permit to apply for non O retirement.

Great that you have funds in place in the Thai bank account.

Suggest you clarify completely with Samui immigration their refusal.

I have read some silly stuff about that office.

Can't recall but it may have been refusing covid extensions or something similar. 

You could then consider applying at another immigration office.

Hopefully someone will post advice of another immigration office option..

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

You say "we" which implies you and your spouse.

If you are both 50+ years of age, then each should be able to apply for the Non-Immigrant O Visa provided that you both meet separately meet the financial requirements of having 800k in a Thai bank (have at least 2 x 800k = 1,600k).

If your spouse is under 50, then you can apply for the Non-Immigrant O in Thailand and they can use your retirement extension qualification to extend their stay  based on being your spouse - BUR, they will have to get their Non-Immigrant Visa from outside of Thailand.

1 hour ago, soisanuk said:

You say "we" which implies you and your spouse.

If you are both 50+ years of age, then each should be able to apply for the Non-Immigrant O Visa provided that you both meet separately meet the financial requirements of having 800k in a Thai bank (have at least 2 x 800k = 1,600k).

If your spouse is under 50, then you can apply for the Non-Immigrant O in Thailand and they can use your retirement extension qualification to extend their stay  based on being your spouse - BUR, they will have to get their Non-Immigrant Visa from outside of Thailand.

A spouse, either husband or wife can be a dependent on the others extension of stay based on retirement in which case only 800K needs to be in the bank account of the name only of person applying, no additional funds required for dependent.

2 minutes ago, Thailand said:

A spouse, either husband or wife can be a dependent on the others extension of stay based on retirement in which case only 800K needs to be in the bank account of the name only of person applying, no additional funds required for dependent.

They both need non-o visa to apply for a extension. Immigration does not issue non-o visas for family members of those applying for extension based upon retirement.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dukgae said:

As far as I am aware if you arrived on a 90 day visa you can convert that to a non O it seems you came on a normal 30 day visa renewable for another 30 days or did you arrive as they introduced the new 45 day visa 

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

As far as I am aware if you arrived on a 90 day visa you can convert that to a non O it seems you came on a normal 30 day visa renewable for another 30 days or did you arrive as they introduced the new 45 day visa 

what is a 90 day visa, if not a non immigrant O visa

26 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

They arrived approx Sept 25.

Visa exempt stamp admitted till Oct 25.

They will need to obtain a 30 day extension to obtain (conversion) to non O retirement.

They can try and press the case with the rogue Samui office or go to another immigration office. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Neilly said:

For some reason Samui immigration don't like giving out Non-O's...my friend had exactly the same problem there a few months ago, he did end up with his Non-O, but it took quite a bit of persistence. It was eventually resolved when he got to speak to the boss lady in the left hand side office. The counter staff flat out refused and told him the same as you.

He had letters from Bangkok immigration, and Surat Thani immigration telling Samui to issue the visa, but they still resisted, it wasn't until he got to speak to the boss that it was resolved and he got his Non-O

Last year I applied to extend my Married to Thai one year visa with the appropriate mountain of paperwork and "she who must be obeyed" with me. at Samui Immigration.  Everything was fine until the Officer in the right hand Office said, "you havn't deposited any money in your Bank today!"  I had already deposited the mandatory 40,000 baht for that month, which was recorded both in my Bank Book and the Bank Letter, but she said that was not good enough.  I was about to blow a fuse, but my lovely calm Thai Wife said, "go have a coffee and I will be back in 15 minutes".  Which she was and the application was accepted by the Officer behind the desk. 

My view is this was an attempt for us to pay extra for the Visa, which I refuse to do.  I think next time I will refer the case to Bangkok Immigration for advice?

1 hour ago, robertson468 said:

My view is this was an attempt for us to pay extra for the Visa, which I refuse to do

It was not.

It's common that immigration require an update of bank book on day of application.

Some want to see "activity" by way of small deposit/withdrawal. 

• Like 1

For whatever it's worth the Integrity Legal American lawyer youtube guy has been saying for quite some time that retirement based conversions to O in Thailand are not something that can be counted on. More of an officer discretion thing and he has predicted a post Covid tightening. Not saying he's right or not. I couldn't know.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

For whatever it's worth the Integrity Legal American lawyer youtube guy has been saying for quite some time that retirement based conversions to O in Thailand are not something that can be counted on. More of an officer discretion thing and he has predicted a post Covid tightening. Not saying he's right or not. I couldn't know.

Is that the same guy that was giving out some dodgy information on the OA insurance deal, general consensus was he was wrong and just touting for business.

Plenty of successful conversions to an O visa done recently, myself included.

This seems more of a rogue immigration office/official making life difficult for whatever reason.

3 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Is that the same guy that was giving out some dodgy information on the OA insurance deal, general consensus was he was wrong and just touting for business.

Plenty of successful conversions to an O visa done recently, myself included.

This seems more of a rogue immigration office/official making life difficult for whatever reason.

He has a business.  He's not always wrong or right especially when  he makes predictions about the future. But who is. He covers many niche areas that are not commonly discussed so personally I think his channel has some value.

10 hours ago, Thailand said:

You cannot be a dependent if you are over 50. This was info we got in Bkk. We needed to apply separately and show 800thou each. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

He has a business.  He's not always wrong or right especially when  he makes predictions about the future. But who is. He covers many niche areas that are not commonly discussed so personally I think his channel has some value.

Well he does make a lot of predictions and isn’t always right as can be seen from this video where he states ( twice ) that the new 45 day visa exempt entry will give an extension of an additional 45 days !!

So as with other predictions he is wrong on this one .

Why doesn’t he remove his dodgy predictions videos from YouTube when it transpires his guesswork has missed the mark ?

Until he does that I won’t be endorsing him, but you can if you like.

35 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Well he does make a lot of predictions and isn’t always right as can be seen from this video where he states ( twice ) that the new 45 day visa exempt entry will give an extension of an additional 45 days !!

So as with other predictions he is wrong on this one .

Why doesn’t he remove his dodgy predictions videos from YouTube when it transpires his guesswork has missed the mark ?

Until he does that I won’t be endorsing him, but you can if you like.

He updates constantly and openly admits when it turns out he was wrong.

If he deleted his mistakes that would be a cover-up of his record. 

No I am not shilling for him except in the sense that I think he is sincere.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

Fortunately, offices as bad as Samui are not the norm. Unfortunately, they are not doing anything Illegal. They have discretion under the law to deny extensions and visa conversions without needing to provide any justification. There is no question that they are not behaving as the central authorities intend, but it can be difficult to bring pressure to bear on them to operate fairly.

Thank goodness the law around entry into Thailand is clear cut, and followed at almost all entry points. Given the way Thailand operates, I dread to think what people might be faced with if every land crossing was able to deny you entry without a legal justification.

12 hours ago, Letseng said:

You cannot be a dependent if you are over 50. This was info we got in Bkk. We needed to apply separately and show 800thou each. 

That is not correct. Not sure who told you that false info.

There is certainly no 50 year old limit for a family member to get a extension of stay.

See number 20 here. https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=1890

Retirement is clause 2.22 on the above.

• Like 2