Visa for non-Thai wife under 50 years accompanying retiree entering Thailand on O-A visa

Hi all,

I'm writing on behalf of a Belgian friend who just received confirmation of a Non-Immigrant O-A visa before traveling to Thailand from Belgium.

What would be the best way for his under-50 wife to travel with him and to stay long term based on dependency/marriage?

Could you confirm she should apply for a 90 day Non-Immigrant O then apply at the Immigration Office (presumably Jomtien)?

Are there any other options like visa-exempt or tourist visa?

Thank you very much in advance, they've tried asking in various places but seem to have gotten a few different answers, I've searched the forum and other sites but I didn't find anything, any insights much appreciated.

Edited by kohrongpo

She should apply for a non-o visa based upon being a member of his family.

And then after arriving here she can apply for a extension of stay at immigration that will be issued for his length his of stay from the OA visa.

If she does not get the non-o visa before arriving here she will need to go to a nearby embassy or consulate to apply for it. 

• Thanks 1

In order to obtain an extension as a dependent of a retiree, she will need to enter Thailand on a Non-Immigrant Visa obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate outside of Thailand - it will not be granted if the spouse enters as Visa Exempt or using a Tourist Visa. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, soisanuk said:

it will not be granted if the spouse enters as Visa Exempt or using a Tourist Visa.

Indeed....and this was a mistake made by some and during covid with closed borders caused big problems.

So your post and the previous post from uj outlines the correct path. 

• Like 1