Currently have an OA Visa how to apply for Non O

I currently have an OA Visa

I wish to apply for a Non O Visa.

I am returning to Thailand on November 12th

My OA Visa is good until November 22nd … requiring extension before this date.

I have had the mandatory 800k in my bank account for 18 months.

My question is this :

Rather than apply for a one year extension of my OA Visa, I prefer to obtain a Non O after returning to Thailand (November 12th) but before an extension of my OA visa is required (November 22).

How do I go about obtaining a Non O visa under these circumstances.

Thank you.

7 minutes ago, Rick M said:

Just prior to Nov 22 exit Thailand and reenter after Nov 22 visa exempt.

Then obtain non O retirement after entry to Thailand at immigration office. 

When you apply for non O you require 800k in Thai bank account in your name only. 

Two months later obtain 12 month extension. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rick M said:

Is it a requirement that I must leave the country and then return to apply for Non O?

The plan you outline has you entering thailand with a valid non O-A.

That means you will be stamped in for 12 months. 

The only way to kill off your non O-A is to enter after it's validity or if in Thailand you need to exit without reentry permit. 

A quick border run would achieve that as outlined earlier. 

Edited by DrJack54

45 minutes ago, Rick M said:

I am returning to Thailand on November 12th

This confuses me.

If you enter on the 12th and your visa (sticker?) shows "VALID UNTIL"? November 22, why would you need an extension? You would be stamped in until Nov 2023 at the immigration checkpoint.

8 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

You would be stamped in until Nov 2023 at the immigration checkpoint.

That's correct and given that immigration is unlikely to check the insurance requirement then he can defer killing off the non O-A. 

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

given that immigration is unlikely to check the insurance requirement

And if? Assuming there is none. Would they cancel the Non O-A and stamp in for 45 days? Wild speculation.

Edited by KhunBENQ
45 days

13 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

This confuses me.

If you enter on the 12th and your visa (sticker?) shows "VALID UNTIL"? November 22, why would you need an extension? You would be stamped in until Nov 2023 at the immigration checkpoint.

Sorry for the confusion.

I don’t want to extend my OA Visa, I wish to let my OA lapse and instead get a Non O Visa. But from what I can gather, I would have to leave Thailand before the 22nd and return after my OA Visa has expired and then apply for Non O at my local immigration office.

2 minutes ago, Rick M said:

Sorry for the confusion.

I don’t want to extend my OA Visa, I wish to let my OA lapse and instead get a Non O Visa. But from what I can gather, I would have to leave Thailand before the 22nd and return after my OA Visa has expired and then apply for Non O at my local immigration office.

That's exactly what I confirmed earlier.

However if you enter prior to expiry of your non O-A and are stamped in for 12 months then why the urgency.

• Like 1

If your OA visa sticker is valid until Nov. 22, 2022, you need to return to Thailand after Nov. 22 to kill off the OA. If you return on Nov. 12 you will be stamped in to the expiry date of your health insurance.  

3 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

If your OA visa sticker is valid until Nov. 22, 2022, you need to return to Thailand after Nov. 22 to kill off the OA. If you return on Nov. 12 you will be stamped in to the expiry date of your health insurance.  

Yes that's correct however it's also possible that the io will not even check for insurance and he maybe stamped in for 12 months. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes that's correct however it's also possible that the io will not even check for insurance and he maybe stamped in for 12 months. 

Yes quite possible, then again he could be stamped in under the OA again, then at some point leave and  enter without re-entry permit then do the Non O application.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good morning..

First of all did you exit Thailand with a "re entry permit" ?

If not when you come back you will enter on visa exempt .. and could apply for non O in immigration submitting all documents they need minimum 15 days before your permission of stay expires..

If you had a re entry except if your OA was issued less than one year ago (which would allow you a 1 year time) airport mmigration will stamp only till November 22nd and tell you to extend your stay for one year in your local immigration..

In this case just do a visa run without applying for re entry in immigration..your OA will be cancelled you enter on visa exempt and apply for O in your local office.

We did it last August and process was smooth (Jomtien)

Apparently some people get issues in Samui (read one post about it)

Have a good weekend 

24 minutes ago, LOG54 said:

First of all did you exit Thailand with a "re entry permit" ?

The OP states this.....

"My OA Visa is good until November 22nd … requiring extension before this date"....

That should mean that he has a valid non O-A visa.

If that's the case he does not need a reentry permit and if returned prior to Nov 22 would be stamped in for 12 months (putting insurance aside).

The OP could mean that he has a valid extension from an non O-A that expires Nov 22.

He needs to clarify.