Converting OA retirement to O retirement today in Jomtien

My visa was runing till november but i brook it making a short trip to Singapour

Came back yesterday obtained a 45 day exemtion at the airport this morning went to immigration did the tm 30 went to my bank to obtain the certificate prooving more than 800.000 bath on my account and went back this afternoon to immigration asking for non O 90 days for retirement

The lady who deal with me was very precise and not very patient but at the end she ask me to make a copy of the file she check,she ask me the 2000 bath and ask me to wait outside for the receipt

Later another lady gave me back my passport with a paper saying application of stay is under consiďeration must contact the office on 23 of november wich is the last day of my 45 days

Can smeone can tell me if it is a normal procedure or not because i worried they denied me  me the permission to stay

I will appreciate your help

You are fine.

Just go back for final stamp on the date you indicated.

Your non O has been approved.

Forget about the 45 day permit.

The 2000baht was the correct fee. 

Nov 23 you will receive stamp. 

After that plan for your 12 month extension of stay. 

Leave funds in bank 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

Steven

The procedure you described is normal to obtain an O visa from a visa exempt entry, I did the same last month.

I would check your return date of November 23rd as that is a longer time than usual, normally it is 15 days from application to receiving the O visa stamp, mine was 17 days.

Are you sure the return date is not October 23rd .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

normally it is 15 days from application to receiving the O visa stamp, mine was 17 days.

Are you sure the return date is not October 23rd .

Which immigration office.

Don't understand the 15 day.

Often a month and some offices start the under consideration period from expiry of permit and not day of application. 

"Normally 15 days" nup.

Edited by DrJack54

48 minutes ago, Steven999 said:

I check it is 23 of november that means 45 days and the last day of my stay !

Can be a sign of future reject...

I believe all the hurdles to getting a Non-O visa in-country are overcome if and when they accept your application.  The wait for final approval is because while the local office has approved your extension it gets forwarded to a higher level office and the wait is for approval on their end.  I have to believe that final approval is not granted only in cases in which the local office has made a serious mistake.  That must be extremely rare and would reflect poorly on your local office.  I think you have nothing to worry about.  The rejection rate of applications at the higher level office must be very small indeed.

Edited by skatewash

7 minutes ago, skatewash said:

.  The rejection rate of applications at the higher level office must be very small indeed.

Just to add.....

Personally I have never read or even heard of the application being accepted by local immigration then later to be rejected. 

I guess it has happened but rare as hens teeth.

OP , all is good. 

Just now organize for your 12 month extension that you can apply for with the funds having been in the bank for 2 months+ on the day you apply. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Which immigration office.

Don't understand the 15 day.

Often a month and some offices start the under consideration period from expiry of permit and not day of application. 

"Normally 15 days" nup.

Ayutthaya and Sisaket.

Was going by the “ need 15 days left on visa exempt to apply for non imm O visa “ rule and assumed that was the normal length of time.

Apologies , my bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Steven999 said:

application of stay is under consiďeration must contact the office on 23 of november wich is the last day of my 45 days

Normal procedure like for me. Just that it is now 45 days max.

For me (not Jomtien) it was 12th August (a holiday).

Impatient as I am I simple went on August 5th and it was ready.

Maybe you can try your luck and ask about the state of affairs in 3 weeks or so?

Hello,

Did the same process in Jomtien in August..

Yes the lady wants the file in right order according to her list..

At the end were told we would receive a SMS saying to come to proceed the visa within 2 weeks and if not received to come and see them the expiry day of visa exempt..

We received a phone message, came, they took our passports and told to come back next day to pick it up..

Got 3 months.. we will ask 1 year extension next week.

Have a good day

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of days ago I just completed at immigration in Phuket applying for a 90-day Type-O visa (based on retirement).

Back in August (with a Type-OA visa) I deliberately left Thailand without a re-entry permit so that I could re-enter Visa-Exempt (which I did in early October) and then apply for the Type-O.

Fortunately I was given 45-days permission to stay, for the day after arrival in Phuket I came down with COVID symptoms (likely caught COVID on flight or in Airport in Europe, as other than myself and wife, no one else was wearing a mask). ... So it was two weeks before I recovered and was able to safely go to immigration (fortunately my COVID symptoms were very mild).

So with about 30-days left in my permission to stay, I applied for the 90-day Type-O visa.  It took the entire day (immigration was VERY crowded) but in the end my application was entered in the system. 

My permission to stay expires on a Sunday just under a month from now ... and I was told to come to immigration (with my passport and blue receipt for the 2000 baht) on the Monday after (ie one day technical 'overstay') to presumably have a Type-O Visa stamped into my passport. 

I would have applied sooner for the Type-O (ie a day after arrival in Thailand) had I not come down with COVID symptoms (later confirmed to be COVID).

The 45-day permission to stay with Visa Exempt is very nice - providing extra margin to apply for the Type-O Visa.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 1