Most Thais want to quit their job but don’t

webfact

image.jpeg

The “Great Resignation” is the biggest trend in the employment market resulting from COVID-19, for Western countries at least. For Thailand and others in this region, however, while resignation certainly and frequently crosses people’s minds, they just don’t put it into action. This is according to the latest survey published recently by headhunting company, Robert Walters.

The company conducted the survey in 6 countries, with around 2,600 respondents at the middle management level, and 1,100 companies in Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, the Philippines, Vietnam, and Indonesia. The findings are interesting. 78% of the respondents admitted that they want to quit their jobs, but still, most people stay put.

Thailand has one of the largest percentages, only second to Malaysia. 80% of people surveyed in Thailand want to quit their jobs. Only half of them take any action though. They also say they are ready to change their mind if employers are ready to work with them.

“Half of the 80% that want to quit say they haven’t taken any action. They also say they can change their mind if the situation in their workplace changes or employers provide them with something that matches their needs. 

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/most-thais-want-to-quit-their-job-but-dont/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-10-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

13 minutes ago, webfact said:

at the middle management level

80 per cent considered resigning in 2021, the joint highest in the region with Singapore, behind Malaysia, but, 56 per cent were uncomfortable to quit without a new job;

Most Thais want to quit their job but don’t

*Most professional Thais have considered quitting their job but have not

Number 1, there is the threat of Nuclear War......so why suffer at work if it's all going down the toilet (or loooooooooooo for you Brits)

Only the owner really has a retirement plan based off your work.   That must feel horrible.  

Everything gets more expensive, but the owner generally turns the screws.

life really is short.

who wants to go to their grave with an obituary  "sucker worked for the man, died."

what idiot likes being forced to go somewhere.   

imagine knowing some clown will control you for decades.  that must feel horrible.

the 1% who do it "correctly" (usually make money and destroy their mind and health), they aren't reading this anyhow.

Then you have the athletes who make big money and every joker friend asks for money.   

part-time is the way.....................

or do what I did, buy 10 Bitcoins at $100 and sell at $60,000.  

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

I don't know anyone anywhere that enjoys their job.

I had 3 great jobs in succession. They didn't have a lot in common. System admin and programmer, postie, London cabbie. I loved every minute of each one. My point is, you can treat every job as a challenge, make it work for you, work really hard, and reap the rewards. You can turn any job in the world into heaven or hell. It's up to you.

I took no holidays for 7 years, I was a single parent. I finally had enough to return to Thailand after a 15 year absence and put the deposit down on a house out here. Never looked back. It really REALLY helps to have a plan, which is where I think maybe Thais fall down. The wages are so low, how an you plan for a better future?

Edited by bradiston
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I had 3 great jobs in succession. They didn't have a lot in common. System admin and programmer, postie, London cabbie. I loved every minute of each one. My point is, you can treat every job as a challenge, make it work for you, work really hard, and reap the rewards. You can turn any job in the world into heaven or hell. It's up to you.

that's great but i bet you'd have quit each one of them in heart beat if you could.

8 hours ago, RandiRona said:

With so many public and private holidays do they actually work?? 

Private sector wont be providing the full total of 30 public holidays that is on the 2022 calendar.

Instead allow the Thai Labour Law stipulated min of 13.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I took no holidays for 7 years, I was a single parent. I finally had enough to return to Thailand after a 15 year absence and put the deposit down on a house out here. Never looked back. It really REALLY helps to have a plan, which is where I think maybe Thais fall down. The wages are so low, how an you plan for a better future?

15 years of misery without Thailand.

29 minutes ago, newnative said:

I don't envy my Thai brother-in-law and sister-in-law.  They both have banking jobs, at different banks, and slog in to Bangkok from their house near Impact.  They leave in the morning around 5:30am and are back home around 7:30pm, sometimes later, if they stop to pick up some food.   By the time they get home they are exhausted; they get some dinner, watch some tv, then the evening is about over and it's off to an early bedtime, to start the whole thing all over again the next day.  Weekends, they try to catch up on laundry, cleaning, and other household chores.  Maybe manage an evening out and some shopping.   The one bright spot of covid for them was they could work from home but they are now mostly back working in Bangkok.

I think a lot of Thais stay in their jobs because once you reach a certain age, fewer businesses will hire you.   When my partner and I moved to Thailand from the US he was in his 40s and he told me he would have difficulty being hired.  He showed me adverts for jobs that clearly stated applicants had to be under a certain age and, sometimes, only a certain sex.  I don't think there's much in the way of age and sex discrimination job protections here, unless it's recently changed.  

If my banking relatives wanted to quit their jobs where would they go?  Who would hire them?  They are in their 50s.  At this point they will grit their teeth and stick it out until mandatory retirement at 60--which seems very early to me to force retirement.  At that point they will each get a lump sum retirement payment--that is likely not to last them until they die.   Still, they are much better off than many other Thais who have far less.

I think this is the case for a lot of Thai workers.

• Like 2

In the hotel I'm staying in currently, most employees decided to silent quit. They don't clean the rooms or anything. Just the bare minimum (cleaning the entrance). The Myanmar guy there told me he was tired of working and not being able to live.

This is a global phenomenon. Something big is coming. I can feel it...

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

that's great but i bet you'd have quit each one of them in heart beat if you could.

Absolutely not! I was being/getting well paid. I had a plan. I enjoyed my work. As a postie I worked every hour of over time given. I cycled to work and back every day, 5am start, Kilburn to Golders Green. In the afternoon I did the knowledge. Took almost 3 years. A lot of things start to go right for you when you dig yourself out of the day to day rut. There's so little incentive here, and almost 0 initiative. I know where it starts, and why. We all do. But it's a completely taboo subject, so best not go there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

15 years of misery without Thailand.

My first experiences of Thailand in the mid 80s were vastly different to when I came back in early 2000s. But you're right in one sense. I should probably never have left!

Edited by bradiston

A factor in not changing jobs for middle management is the loyalty bonus system many employers operate, the longer duration of employment, the higher the annual bonus.

To leave for what be a higher annual salary can be a big step backwards in terms of actual annual income when starting back at 'year one'

23 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Absolutely not! I was being/getting well paid. I had a plan. I enjoyed my work. As a postie I worked every hour of over time given. I cycled to work and back every day, 5am start, Kilburn to Golders Green. In the afternoon I did the knowledge. Took almost 3 years. A lot of things start to go right for you when you dig yourself out of the day to day rut. There's so little incentive here, and almost 0 initiative. I know where it starts, and why. We all do. But it's a completely taboo subject, so best not go there.

I make very good money when i work, as soon as i think i have enough till i die, i'm out!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1