Mass killing exposes deep problems in Thai society

webfact

9 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Mass killing exposes deep problems in Thai society

Being Thai-specific as the question was posed, there does seem a propensity among males to completely lose it when face has been lost. Upbringing? Accountability?

Compared to what other country?

Thais have the reputation as very tolerant people. 

How often have you seen road rage here compared to you own country?

How often have you seen bar brawls here compared to you own country?

Personally, in decades, I've only seen road rage about 3 times, and twice foreigners were involved. 

I used to walk down Leith Walk in Edinburgh to get home on a Saturday night and saw fights almost every night, same in Aberdeen's Union Street. I never see fights here. 

Actually, what the **** are you talking about  -  propensity , my bottom.

9 hours ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

Deep problems, so many and as such very hard to deal with, firstly Thai culture regarding loss of face and Thainess

Thailand, like many Asian cultures have 'Indirect Communication style'. This is different to direct style in that it protects 'face'.  Indirect is no better or worse that direct, just erm different culture. 

'Thainess' is taught at school, you don't know what it is, google it, learn the language, or ask your Thai friends. 

RTP also need to look at their response times:

People we spoke to described the police response as slow - two hours into the violence they were still waiting for backup to arrive in the remote region. In an interview, Thailand’s deputy police chief admitted the delayed response, promising to work on improving response times.

Thai nursery massacre unfolded over three hours of horror

In the days before he killed 36 people, including 22 children stabbed as they slept, the former police sergeant behind Thailand's worst massacre was firing guns in his back yard.

For several nights the sound of 34-year-old Panya Khamrap’s 9 mm pistol cracked the silence in the sleepy village of Tha Uthai, neighbours said.

It was the latest show of violence from the former police officer, once a village success story who became an angry, introverted man in a downward spiral, though still invested with some of the authority his old job bestowed.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thai-nursery-massacre-unfolded-over-three-hours-horror-2022-10-12/

• Thanks 1

There's no "drug plague".

A plague looks like a pandemic, only worse. 

So where are the body-piles of drugged out zombies?

There's drugs that are out of control in a tiny minority, and that's because society chooses to allow criminals, rather than the authorities, to distribute drugs.

Anyone who still thinks, after half a century of increasing drug use, that they can continue to demonise, and criminalise the human desire to be altered in a myriad of ways, is deluded, and probably needs some substance therapy themselves.

• Like 2

On 10/13/2022 at 11:19 AM, ezzra said:

Rubbish, history is full of mad mass murderers who one day got up and decide to goes on a killing spree. and there's no predictable behavior patterns for such occurrences...

There are factors that contribute towards the event that might be controllable.

Apparently many people knew of his drug problem and behavioural problems, but nothing was really done about it.  He certainly shouldn't have been allowed to own a gun.

20 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Thailand, like many Asian cultures have 'Indirect Communication style'. This is different to direct style in that it protects 'face'.  Indirect is no better or worse that direct, just erm different culture. 

'Thainess' is taught at school, you don't know what it is, google it, learn the language, or ask your Thai friends. 

The concept of "Thainess" is more than simply an indirect communication style.

On 10/13/2022 at 10:02 AM, Mr Derek said:

A British nurse is currently on trial for killing 7 babies. Deep problems in British society?

Were there clear warning signs that were ignored due to facets of British culture?  Doubt it.

Edited by BangkokReady

19 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I know, I used to teach it at high school. In fact, I never said it was anything to do with indirect communication. 

I strongly doubt that Thai people would let someone not of Thai descent teach Thai people about Thainess.  Perhaps you mentioned it in a class sometime.  It's also not really going to be something you can learn in any one class.

Why do you think the person you replied to does not know what Thainess is?

Edited by BangkokReady

14 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I strongly doubt that Thai people would let someone not of Thai descent teach Thai people about Thainess.  Perhaps you mentioned it in a class sometime.  It's also not really going to be something you can learn in any one class.

Why do you think the person you replied to does not know what Thainess is?

Doubt all you want, I taught it for 3 years as an element of Civics.  

I can't remember what the person wrote but probably something that is negative -  Thainess is all positive, things like Filial Piety, I guess you don't know what it is too. Actually, I translated the syllabus from Thai to English, for the government, if I can be bothered, I'll look to see if I still have it. 

Edited by Neeranam

11 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Doubt all you want, I taught it for 3 years as an element of Civics.  

I can't remember what the person wrote but probably something that is negative -  Thainess is all positive, things like Filial Piety, I guess you don't know what it is too. Actually, I translated the syllabus from Thai to English, for the government, if I can be bothered, I'll look to see if I still have it. 

Found it, so can see when foreigners talk about Thainess in a negative way, they are wrong. Try teaching that in once class, if you still don't believe me -  

Participate and recommend others to take care of people with respect to Thai decorum.  Show respect in speech and dress. Express through generosity and contributions to society. Appreciate and preserve Thai traditions, art and culture. Be a role model in Patriotism, adhering to Buddhist values, with respect for the King. Apply and spread the philosophy of Hi Majesty the King’s Sufficiency Economy. Practice self-discipline, integrity, diligence, knowledge-seeking, tolerance, and endeavor to practice these duties.  Behave democratically as a good citizen in a variety of social activities.

Behave democratically as a good Thai citizen in a variety of social activities. Make decisions by reasoning. Take part and be responsible for classroom and school decisions. Examine information to make good decisions in various activities. Be self-disciplined in the matter of morality. Be tolerant, diligently pursuing knowledge and accepting consequences caused by one owns actions.

Appreciate the value of peaceful coexistence in the Asian region taking into account the diverse culture, religion, lifestyle and environment. Peaceful coexistence and interdependence in a multicultural society with mutual respect. Not showing action or words that insult others. Helping each other and sharing solutions to conflicts by peaceful means. Solving  disputes and disagreements by negotiation and alleviation. Disagreement

Practice self-discipline, honesty, tolerance, knowledge seeking, and of duty. Accepting  the consequences caused by one’s own actions.

By Group method thought process. operating process,  Process face circumstances

In order for learners to have the best Thai characteristics, sense of pride in being Thai, expressing patriotism , adherence in religion and upholding  the monarchy.  As a good citizen in a democracy with the King as head of State.  Participation in elections, peaceful coexistence with others. Manage conflict by peaceful means with self - discipline.

thainess.png

Edited by Neeranam

On 10/13/2022 at 11:19 AM, ezzra said:

Rubbish, history is full of mad mass murderers who one day got up and decide to goes on a killing spree. and there's no predictable behavior patterns for such occurrences...

This I think is the whole point of the article. The fact is that’s it’s VERY rare for people to just get up one day and decide to go on a killing spree; in the vast majority of cases there are clear warning signs beforehand in behavior and actions. This, if seen, acknowledged and acted upon at the time could prevent tragedies such as this from occurring in the first place but the stigma still attached to mental illness stops many people from getting the help they so desperately need and for those close to the perpetrators from intervening to help. 
Many psychological problems are in fact wholly predictable (it’s why psychologists even exists and why for example most serial killers start off by torturing and killing animals when they are young) and why not having enough shrinks or a willingness to discuss these matters can lead to such horrendous outcomes.