Visa Exempt System

Hello, I'm trying to get some advice from more experienced travelers to see the viability of this plan. 

I'm expecting a baby with my Thai girlfriend of 3 years around April. On my previous trips to Thailand I did a Tourist Visa... but with the recent changes allowing for 45 days Visa exemptions, I've decided to go that route. 

Since I'm now retired (but Under 50) I can't find a Visa option that allows me to stay in Thailand until the baby is born and help her out with anything she needs. So here the best I can come up with:

1) Enter Thailand Visa exempt + extend 30 days.

2) Go to Laos before the end of the year (1st land border crossing of 2022) and return with another Visa Exemption and then an  Extension (If that goes well it will keep me here until early-mid march).

3) At this point I'm starting to get paranoid if Thailand immigration would continue to allow this (More Questions). So maybe the next one I would use Air travel or an actual Tourist Visa. 

4) If I go through with line 3 without issues, my Son/Daughter would be born and I will switch to a Non-Immigrant O from there.

I was planning on marrying her but looks like it will happen after the baby is born so that option is not on the table.

Is this viable or is there a better way? Is obvious that in Thai immigration eyes I could be seen as "not a tourist".

Also for extensions do they have to be at the main office in Bangkok? Can they be done elsewhere? What is the closest office to Roi-Et?

I appreciate anyone's help and suggestions.

Plan you outline is fine.

Since you are not married you need to tick the boxes as being the father.

Obviously on birth certificate etc.

The border entries you outline will work no issue..

You would obtain the extensions at immigration office where you are living..

You have your reasons re not going the marriage option.

As you would be aware that is very simple way to obtain non O based on marriage in Thailand or ME Non O from Savannakhet. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JGon said:

2) Go to Laos before the end of the year (1st land border crossing of 2022) and return with another Visa Exemption and then an  Extension (If that goes well it will keep me here until early-mid march).

Instead of returning from Laos with another visa exemption why not instead return with a multi-entry tourist visa obtained from the consulate at Savannakhet - assuming, of course, that you can meet their requirements (see link below)? That should give you more than sufficient headroom to stay in Thailand (with border runs every 60 days) until your child is born.

https://savannakhet.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/104412-tourist-visa?page=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453e&menu=5d84a44c15e39c26b4004540

Edited by OJAS

33 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Instead of returning from Laos with another visa exemption why not instead return with a multi-entry tourist visa obtained from the consulate at Savannakhet - assuming, of course, that you can meet their requirements (see link below)? That should give you more than sufficient headroom to stay in Thailand (with border runs every 60 days) until your child is born.

https://savannakhet.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/104412-tourist-visa?page=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453e&menu=5d84a44c15e39c26b4004540

I am reasonably sure that, for non Lao citizens, you must be a resident of Laos in order to get a multiple entry tourist visa in Savannakhet. When the METV was introduced, that was the rule: home country or country of residence. I do not believe that rule has changed.

• Like 2

I looked into the METV from my consulate; I had to provide an itinerary showing round trips from Thailand to my home country (US), for both 60-day periods. This on top of all the other financial documents and picture requirements (Passport size, me actually holding the passport). It's too much of a hassle.

On that note, can I get a regular tourist Visa to Thailand at Savannakhet?

Does anyone know where the Immigration office is in Roi-Et, Or the closest Province to Roi-Et?

Thank you all for your help.

31 minutes ago, JGon said:

On that note, can I get a regular tourist Visa to Thailand at Savannakhet?

Yes, you can.

33 minutes ago, JGon said:

Does anyone know where the Immigration office is in Roi-Et, Or the closest Province to Roi-Et?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Roi+Et+Immigration+Office/@16.0777263,103.5867843,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xa7c79c80224b712b!8m2!3d16.0777263!4d103.5867843

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/14/2022 at 12:23 PM, ubonjoe said:

A multiple entry tourist visa can only be applied for in your home country or where you have legal residency.

He cannot get one in Savannakhet.

Well, it would be nice if the Savannakhet website could make it crystal clear that only Laotian nationals and residents can apply for METV's at that particular consulate, I think!

Edited by OJAS

So you can - and can't - get a Tourist visa at Savannaket. :crazy:

As for the online system, it's apparently not that easy at all - for some people.

My buddy has been trying for a couple weeks now with no luck. He thinks he's been "blocked" or something, though I suspect it's a password issue.
But even before that, he said he filled everything out, uploaded all the photos/scans (etc etc) and the last step was to pay for it but it wouldn't open the payment page for some reason.

He tried contacting (someone) and somehow ended up with a "password reset" or something.

He's given up and will go the "Visa Exempt/Extension" routine.

However, someone told him he could only do that once and then he'd have to fly out, return, get a new Exemption stamp, then do another exemption.

But it sounds like (in this thread) he should be able to just do a regular border run after the 30 day extension ? No need to "fly out" and back ?

27 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

But it sounds like (in this thread) he should be able to just do a regular border run after the 30 day extension ? No need to "fly out" and back ?

You can enter thailand twice per calendar year using visa exempt entry. 

Regarding obtaining a tourist visa... You can obtain a SETV at Savannakhet etc.

You can only obtain a METV in your home country or country where you are permanent resident. 

• 2 months later...

Just an update in case it benefits anyone. After arriving in Thailand in October Visa Exempt, I did my first 30day extension early in December. No issues there, 1900 baht. The expiration date set for January 1. So on Tuesday, I decided to head to Mukdahan for a border run into Savannakhet. The drive from my location was around 2 hours. Which is not bad (if you are used to driving internationally). 

I get there park the car, go to the gate, buy a bus ticket (I can't remember if it was 45-50 baht). Get stamp out of Thailand. Wait for the bus (maybe 20 minutes) then cross the Mekong into Laos. There a Visa exemption cost 1,900 baht or $40 US dollars + 200 baht. After... you get immediately approached by local drivers but my plan was to go right back. Which I did, no questions asked. Got stamp out and bought a 55 baht bus ticket back to Thailand (waited 30 minutes for it). At Thailand Immigration fill out the TM6, and then got a new Visa exemption for 45 days, no questions asked.

Still I know is not guaranteed, that it will go this smoothly every time. Especially going in and out in less than 1 hour. I will probably do a Tourist Visa in Savannakhet, in March. That will give me enough time until my Son is born and a can then do Non O Visa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1