My 30 days visa tourist exemption finishes today. Can't extend it because of hollidays ? What Am I risking

Hello Folks,

I am facing an odd situation that I put myself in. I am on a tourist visa exemption (30 days) which expires today (14.10.2022). I decided to extend my stay . However, the immigration office is close from 13 to 16 due to public holidays . I didn't knew about the holidays, otherwise I wouldn't have waited until the last two days of my stay to extend my visa.

What am I risking ? Can I explain the situation to immigration on monday ?

How do you think they will behave?  Is there something I can do now before monday ?

Btw, I went to police station today and they told me they can do nothing for me and I need to wait until monday to explain it all to immigration .

Thank you all

Edited by adrianc

38 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Go to immigration and pay overstay if any at same time as applying for extension.

OR exit Thailand and reenter visa exempt.

Immigration is closed due to holidays and the weekend. He will not be fined for a overstay.

• Thanks 1

Immigration is closed due to holidays and the weekend. He will not be fined for a overstay.

Might be a dumb question but not being fined is one thing, but could it be still be considered as an overstay in the system hence creating problems upon entry into Thailand in the future ? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RedReding said:

Might be a dumb question but not being fined is one thing, but could it be still be considered as an overstay in the system hence creating problems upon entry into Thailand in the future ? 

No, it will not be! If it was considered an overstay, then there would also be a fine as they are connected. No fine. No overstay as long as extending it on Monday.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RedReding said:

No

Immigration would back date the extension to the day a persons permit to stay ended.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Leonard Desharnais said:

I heard this is a 5 day holiday so is immigration closed on Monday?. Thursday to Monday

You probably mixed that up with Monday in a week (October 24). Substitute holiday for Chulalongkorn Day on that Sunday (October 23), so immigration will be closed again then.

Edited by Caldera

12 hours ago, Leonard Desharnais said:

I heard this is a 5 day holiday so is immigration closed on Monday?. Thursday to Monday

No, Holidays are from 13 to 16. Here is a photo I took from the immigration bureau door. ( Holidays 13-16)

Screenshot_1.png

42 minutes ago, RedReding said:

Just went this morning in Chiang Mai. Very smooth process.

Me too. I filled in the T7, gave a copy of passport and stamp, gave a photo and paid 1900 baht. 1 hour later I got my visa extension on my passport .. About my visa expiring on 14th, the officer told me there are no penalties in my case because there were holidays on those days . 

I want to thank everyone in the forum who helped me and gave me the correct information .

Edited by adrianc
  • Thumbs Up 1

Me too. I filled in the T7, gave a copy of passport and stamp, gave a photo and paid 1900 baht. 1 hour later I got my visa extension on my passport .. About my visa expiring on 14th, the officer told me there are no penalties in my case because there were holidays on those days . 

I want to thank everyone in the forum who helped me and gave me the correct information .

I was in the exact same situation as you and they didn't even mention it.