The national education project equipping ‘left-behind’ Thai children with skills to survive

webfact

image.jpeg

Wichaya Dataroon, centre, and his troupe perform a Manora dance.

By Jintana Panyaarvudh

Wichaya Dataroon left his hometown at age 15 to hunt for a job so he could earn money to pay off his long-overdue tuition fees. Paying up was necessary; only then would he get the certificate proving that he had completed Mathayom 3 level in school.

However his young age meant he was unable to land a job. Just as he was sinking into despair, he got a call from Chanon Preechachan, a member of Friends of Youth of Surat Thani.

Funded by the Equitable Education Fund (EEF), Chanon had started an occupation development project to provide support and help for underprivileged children like Wichaya.

“My life has changed since I joined the project,” Wichaya recounts.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/the-national-education-project-equipping-left-behind-thai-children-with-skills-to-survive/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-10-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

English language + IT is the key to success.

Computer is like a colt gun, that "made everyone equal".

You can study and then work even, if you live in the area where wild elephants gore people.

They just need good teachers who could make things interesting in the early age.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, plus7 said:

You can study and then work even, if you live in the area where wild elephants gore people.

They just need good teachers who could make things interesting in the early age.

.... And computers and WiFi.

The schools in our district village only give the password for Wifi to the teachers.  

The kids are very adept to playing on there phones though during English class. 

20 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

The kids are very adept to playing on there phones though during English class. 

Thank you for info.

Probably phones should be prohibited during any studies. I don't know if it is realistic in rural schools.

Initial studies should be done in game form... maybe.

But there must be someone who want to learn amongst 10-15. Is my estimation close to reality ?

Edited by plus7
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, plus7 said:

What if you can't afford a computer?

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

What if you can't afford a computer?

If you can't afford a computer,  there must be someone who grants you a computer if you study well or show some skills.

Used computers or cheapest new ones are suitable for studying.

Also there are logic games for phones/tablets that develop mathematical and IT thinking.

The government or a social fund should organize extra lessons of English and IT in school.

I'm sure, if it will move forward, with some initial success, local businessmen will provide computers. The government should organize teachers/visas + salary.

I admit, my understanding could be overly optimistic on financial/organizational level, but kids will certainly appreciate it. The country will benefit later.

20 hours ago, plus7 said:

Thank you for info.

Probably phones should be prohibited during any studies. I don't know if it is realistic in rural schools.

Initial studies should be done in game form... maybe.

But there must be someone who want to learn amongst 10-15. Is my estimation close to reality ?

Definitely people want to learn.  Usually the girls.  It's usually a few boys who end up messing up the entire class.

Most private schools will put these disruptive kids in a class together.  That way the majority of kids can learn while the school still gets a lucrative money stream from the problem kids. 

• Like 1