Trat tourism declared "all white": Police 'proactive' in trying to solve problem of illegal drugs

webfact

ใหม่ปกเว็บ-14-4-768x433.jpg

Daily News Thai Caption: Inspiring confidence!

Daily News reported that the tourist police in the popular tourism areas of Trat in eastern Thailand were being proactive to inspire confidence among tourists. 

Lt-Col Pattanapong Siricharoen said that he was acting on orders from RTP chief Pol Gen Damrongsak Kittipraphat and tourism police chief Pol Lt-Gen Sukhun Phrommayon to do something about the drug menace.

IMG_8121.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Tourist areas were visited and the drivers of public vehicles and boats were tested for drugs.

This would also help prevent crime.

Daily News did not report if any drivers or boat captains tested positive. It was all about the PR.

Pattanapong said that drugs were a menace to society in general and tourism in particular.

IMG_8123.jpg

Picture: Daily News

He declared that his intention was to make Trat a "White Tourism Area".

This appeared to relate to being drug-free and safe. 

ASEAN NOW notes that the RTP have been scurrying to create renewed confidence in the force after it took a further battering in the massacre in the north east by a former cop mixed up in meth. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-10-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

He declared that his intention was to make Trat a "White Tourism Area".

That's already been tried in the past in 'selective' areas of the United States. ????

Say that but i'd feel safer living in an all white one than an all black one in the US or even London !

I'm not going to any "tourist area" where cops are stopping people to give the drug tests.  That's called totalitarianism.  What I want from the cops when I visit is to limit their activities to 'keeping the peace', not shaking down everyone in sight.

I'll pass on Trat.  Thanks for the heads-up.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

Does it matter to you?

As of 2022 visitors from Malaysia, India and Singapore make up the top 3 nationalities visiting Thailand.

^A combined 31%. 

Imagine 1.6 billion people in India and 20% are joining the middle class.  They might all like to come to Thailand because their own beaches are so covered in rubbish.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Lt-Col Pattanapong Siricharoen said that he was acting on orders from RTP chief Pol Gen Damrongsak Kittipraphat and tourism police chief Pol Lt-Gen Sukhun Phrommayon to do something about the drug menace

So what was he doing before he was told to do something?

[Rhetorical Q]