Corolla Cross, any good?

proton

Know nothing about cars, don't even have a current licence but need to replace Vios for her indoors to drive about in. Saw this Toyota hybrid today at central, 1.2 million. Bloke said it does 10 kilometers to the litre, is that good or bad? He claimed it had cameras all the way round but could not see any. We only drive locally, it it worth considering, just the two of us. How would you go about installing the right charging point and how much is that, we live in a house.

IMG_20221019_131918.jpg

Maybe have a look at youtube reviews of the vehicle , also look the competition like the honda hrv . Ps they are both hybrid which charge whilst you brake and dont need an external charge .

Edited by greg71
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Toyota has a reputation for uninspiring but reliable. Good resale value.

Charging points are unnecessary for hybrids, the battery recharges via regenerative braking and the parallel ICE.

The bloke who stated the fuel economy was presumably wrong, if he is not keep the Vios. My 16 year old Vios gets 17 kilometres per litre. I'd be expecting better than 25 for a hybrid.

Mrs says it was 20 to the kilometer, not 10

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The cameras all round will be a front ( in the grill area ), a rear ( usual place under license plate ) and one under each wing mirror. Can be activated individually or all 4 together which creates a virtual overhead view.

The rear camera also for reversing.

5B108161-EFB6-46C3-AC87-2387FC2E6C68.jpeg.63dc44b012639662a94fd7dac3ae61f7.jpeg

• Like 1

The Cross has good reviews.  The biggest complaint is the acceleration.  It’s based on the Corolla which is a reliable vehicle.  I rode in one.  I thought it was roomy with good cargo space.  
The suspension of the front wheel drive is different from the all wheel drive.  The reviews say the all wheel drive suspension has a smoother ride. 

• Like 1

Shop around for all brands, Toyota lost the plot years ago in style and price. Toyota is trying to hang onto its reliability factor with inflated prices. Many of the chinese cars are offering far better vehicles with more features and less money. Cars have changed considerably over the last 2 decades and for me there seems little difference in quality and reliability. Look into Honda in Australia, the company is on its way out, poor service, styling and overpriced. 

• Like 2

I think you mean 100 kilometres to the litre? ... For a new gen. hybrid.

10 kilometres to a litre is what an old (20-25 year old) normally aspirated 6 cylinder engine with outdated 4 speed gear box delivers litre per km. 

Toyotas are traditionally almost bullet proof. Not sure of the build quality of this new gen. but I'd hazard a guess its also almost indestructible like the rest.

It isn't too weird looking either.

Basically a sound car if wanting something bigger than the Yaris/Jazz offerings. Obvious alternative is the Honda HRV hybrid which does look more stylish and is a newer design. I think you’ve been corrected on the economy stats. Both Toyota and Honda are very reliable so I’d simply chose based on your own preference and the deal available. Do avoid black in a hot climate though !

I have a Cross GR Sport and have about 8000 kms on it.  Toyota is a little pricier than other comparable models but the resale value will be better.  Getting average 4.2 liters per 100 kms.  The GR Sport has a better suspension than the normal cross plus all black interior.  I have taken some pretty sharp curves at speed and the car stays stable.  I really like it and it is self charging.  I am sure you would be happy with one if you decide for a Cross.  Look around at other brands and models.

Enjoy yourself while looking.  Take care

• Like 2

16 hours ago, metisdead said:

I have had a Corolla Cross for about 2 years now.  I used to take photos of the odometer and the fuel pump when filling up the car, the following are my fuel consumptions:

On March 24, the fuel consumption was at 18.6 kilometers per liter.

On May 18, the fuel consumption was 15.7 kilometers per liter. 

On June 4, the fuel consumption was 16.7 kilometers per liter. 

Most of the driving is around town, seldom on the highway. 

I would not consider those numbers impressive for a hybrid, many of which get better mileage around town. That was the major appeal for me, when considering this car. We ended up choosing the Mazda CX-30. Sportier, better looking, and a more enjoyable drive. It gets around 15 - 16 km. per liter on the highway, and is really fun to drive. The upside to the Cross is the size. It is far roomier. 

It was very hard to get reliable info about the Cross online, at the time we were looking to buy. Dependable battery, mileage, etc. 

5 hours ago, spider1197 said:

I have a Cross GR Sport and have about 8000 kms on it.  Toyota is a little pricier than other comparable models but the resale value will be better.  Getting average 4.2 liters per 100 kms.  The GR Sport has a better suspension than the normal cross plus all black interior.  I have taken some pretty sharp curves at speed and the car stays stable.  I really like it and it is self charging.  I am sure you would be happy with one if you decide for a Cross.  Look around at other brands and models.

Enjoy yourself while looking.  Take care

That model was added later if I’m not mistaken, wasn’t there when I looked at them a couple of years ago , the Sport model was the cheapest option and non-hybrid back then.

Looking at the GR Sport now and it is very appealing, I do like the all black interior. The trend of the Chinese cars now seems to be to cram in as many colours as possible :

Here’s a car I am currently interested in but the interior is gonna take some time to adapt to.

70416274-108B-4D27-8C54-6C5E810EF8BD.jpeg.ae150a44693170b4d07345c587c8a06b.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

I think you mean 100 kilometres to the litre? ... For a new gen. hybrid.

10 kilometres to a litre is what an old (20-25 year old) normally aspirated 6 cylinder engine with outdated 4 speed gear box delivers litre per km. 

Toyotas are traditionally almost bullet proof. Not sure of the build quality of this new gen. but I'd hazard a guess its also almost indestructible like the rest.

It isn't too weird looking either.

They are built well. Last month went to Buri Ram and Surin with a Grammy singer in his Toyota van. He had it 16 years and just done over one million kilometres with the original engine.

On 10/19/2022 at 8:17 PM, metisdead said:

I have had a Corolla Cross for about 2 years now.  I used to take photos of the odometer and the fuel pump when filling up the car, the following are my fuel consumptions:

On March 24, the fuel consumption was at 18.6 kilometers per liter.

On May 18, the fuel consumption was 15.7 kilometers per liter. 

On June 4, the fuel consumption was 16.7 kilometers per liter. 

Most of the driving is around town, seldom on the highway. 

Thas sounds about right. Highway driving will get close to 20km/l or so. www.headlightmag.com gave a number like that. 

The cross hybrid is very popular now and resale should be easy. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/20/2022 at 7:41 AM, swm59nj said:

The Cross has good reviews.  The biggest complaint is the acceleration.  It’s based on the Corolla which is a reliable vehicle.  I rode in one.  I thought it was roomy with good cargo space.  
The suspension of the front wheel drive is different from the all wheel drive.  The reviews say the all wheel drive suspension has a smoother ride. 

There's no AWD in Thailand though. Acceleration is very average. Performace in better in the hond hrv or nissan kicks. If I was spending 1.2m or a car now I'd get the honda civic hybrid. 

3 hours ago, DavisH said:

The cross hybrid is very popular now and resale should be easy. 

Should it be?

I haven't looked into the resale values of older Toyota hybrids as compared to the purely ICE cars.

Don't the batteries in them experience significant degradation, especially in the cars that are more than 8 years old?

19 hours ago, spider1197 said:

My car is setup to show liters per 100 kms.  Thus my car shows 4.2 liters for 100kms. That would mean about 25 kms per liter.  Or am I getting too old to calculate.

I think in terms of litres/100 km too. Your calculation is about right.

8 hours ago, unheard said:

Should it be?

I haven't looked into the resale values of older Toyota hybrids as compared to the purely ICE cars.

Don't the batteries in them experience significant degradation, especially in the cars that are more than 8 years old?

Well, while warranty is still active, it should be. Personally I would sell a hybrid before 10 years or so. But in 10 years I would expect batteries/modules to be more affordable. 

I's avoid electric vehicles for a decade. I want t see more on long term reliability - a nissan leaf battery is 900K+ and good cat is 500K+. 

16 hours ago, DavisH said:

Well, while warranty is still active, it should be. Personally I would sell a hybrid before 10 years or so.

How long is the warranty for the battery?

And what does it cover?

Let's say the warranty is 8 years long but only covers certain conditions, like full battery failure or failure to hold charge above 50%

What would be the resale value of such a car after only 5 years if the battery is pretty much shot (retains 60% charge) but not covered under the warranty replacement?

I think it would be a good guess to estimate that the resale value would have to include (rather subtract) the cost of the battery replacement.