Liz Truss: What the world is saying about UK turmoil

Scott

Just now, BritManToo said:

I think you mean 'middle left'

I'm 'extreme left' (Marxist) and they all call me a fascist as well.

Indeed. The goalposts are always moving.

I have extremely liberal views on many issues. In many ways I am a Libertarian. But I am called it as well. I often wonder if people know what it actually means or if they just heard it on Twitter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

If you provided an example of a recent self declared Nazi columnist that worked for The Telegraph to backup your point, and I still declared it was not a Nazi paper, then Yes you would, especially if you were inferring that if I didn't waste my valuable time doing your research for you then I was a liar. 

Well, who would be so irrational as to claim that a newspaper subscribed to certain beliefs not endorsed by their editoral board  because of the views of one columnist? Oh, that would be you. And once again, you try to wriggle out by claiming that  I was "inferring" (actually the correct word would be "implying") something that I never actually wrote. It is perfectly possible for someone to perpetrate a falsehood and believe it to be true. But it doesn't speak well of them that they refuse to back it up with evidence.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The Guardian is an international newspaper, what has to say exists within ‘what the world says’ just as much as the CNN report at the top of this thread exists with ‘What the world says’.

Oddly you’ve taken offense to what the Guardian has to say but not a squeak on what CNN have to say.

Perhaps because The Guardian got Truss right from the get go.

The Guardian can spew out whatever rubbish they see fit.

I am simply stating that they do not represent 'the world'.

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Well, who would be so irrational as to claim that a newspaper subscribed to certain beliefs not endorsed by their editoral board  because of the views of one columnist? Oh, that would be you. And once again, you try to wriggle out by claiming that  I was "inferring" (actually the correct word would be "implying") something that I never actually wrote. It is perfectly possible for someone to perpetrate a falsehood and believe it to be true. But it doesn't speak well of them that they refuse to back it up with evidence.

I backed it up with evidence. The fact that you deemed it insufficient is not my concern. 

Edited by JonnyF

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Can you share with us a source that does represent the world?

Actually I meant to say "represent the UK press".

It was in response to Chomper's post below.

image.png.e0eab937b02045a6134c93e48fa037a9.png

Had he said "here's what the Guardian has to say" I wouldn't have had an issue with it. It was the implication that the Guardian is representative of the UK press that I took issue with.

12 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The Guardian is an international newspaper, what has to say exists within ‘what the world says’ just as much as the CNN report at the top of this thread exists with ‘What the world says’.

Oddly you’ve taken offense to what the Guardian has to say but not a squeak on what CNN have to say.

Perhaps because The Guardian got Truss right from the get go.

Again, it was your implication that the guardian is representative of the UK press. 

image.png.a2f8cdc6519fe5066f4093c725fc8c7a.png

If you'd have quoted CNN with the comment "Here's what the US press has to say" I would have taken issue with it. 

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And, as I pointed out, Ash Sarkar is not a columnist for the Guardian. So you got that wrong. 

Was/is a Columnist for The Guardian. Pedantic in the extreme. It's not like they've change political ideology since she left her role as a columnist for the guardian so the point stands despite your pedantry.

Anyway, I've got a meeting at 2, it's been a pleasure.

Just now, JonnyF said:

Was/is a Columnist for The Guardian. Pedantic in the extreme. It's not like they've change political ideology since she left her role as a columnist for the guardian so the point stands despite your pedantry.

So historical presence of a self declared Communist as a Guardian Columnists - You want to accept that as relevant.

Historical support of Fascism by leading UK rightwing newspapers - You want to ignore that as relevant.

Your arguments on this forum might be more persuasive if you didn’t keep going back to your ‘Hate The Guardian thing’.

It’s clearly a fixation that distracts you from seeing the truth.

And the on topic truth is, The Guardian’s reporting on Truss and her failings was spot on.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It may be a trivial point, but it's true. But you make the point based on the trivial fact that  one columnist at the Guardian was a communist. You acknowledged the inadequacy of that datum by further claiming when you were challenged that many columnists at the Guardian are communists. But wouldn't back that up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Seems to me it's more than that. From the very first time I saw/heard her I was somewhat shocked about her discussion points, attitudes and arrogance.

Then she won the PM vote, first up / day one she announced a major tax cut policy which is not logical, and toxic to folks on minimum income struggling to survive and feed their kids/keep the lights on. A nasty tax policy which would create big reductions in tax receipts, but she made zero mention of how the reduction in tax receipts would be replaced by tax receipts from other policies. Not mentioned at all, by a PM, first speech.

How could a UK PM be so obviously illogicall, especially in her first speech?

Not surprised she only lasted a very short time, now in the history books as the UK PM with the shortest ever tenure in history. 

From above:

"How could a UK PM be so obviously illogicall, especially in her first speech?"

I amaned this sentence to add in the bracket:

How could a UK PM be so obviously illogicall, (this is not even common sense), especially in her first speech?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Pretty bizarre. She was promising to create more jobs in British agriculture when produce is actually being left to rot because they can't find enough harvesters?  She seemed especially concerned about British apples

UK Worker Shortage Leaves £60 Million of Food to Rot in Fields

An NFU survey shows that a third of growers have been forced to leave 100 tons of fruit - around 16m apples - unpicked because of a lack of labour.

The UK apple harvest, worth £400 million a year, has been hit the hardest by the worker shortfall, in part fuelled by Brexit and ongoing political uncertainty.

Growers of Brussells sprouts, cabbages and cauliflowers are also affected by the migrant drain as the busy Christmas period looms.

https://www.farminguk.com/news/uk-labour-shortage-leaves-tons-of-fruit-to-rot_54184.html

Your link is from three years ago and now outdated as it was from the transitional period when rules were unclear 

21 October 2019

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

Ratings agency Moody’s, who’s views reside within ‘what the world is saying’, have spoken,

They’ve just downgraded their credit rating for the UK from ‘stable’ to ‘negative’:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/oct/22/uk-economic-outlook-downgraded-to-negative-by-ratings-agency

Which has been caused by the U.K's political instability , which is the result of Boris being removed as PM , which was caused by the left wing media campaign against him 

Be careful what you wish for , it may come true .

Was it really worth causing all that fuss about a Christmas drink at work ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Which has been caused by the U.K's political instability , which is the result of Boris being removed as PM , which was caused by the left wing media campaign against him 

Be careful what you wish for , it may come true .

Was it really worth causing all that fuss about a Christmas drink at work ?

Nothing to do with the ‘Left Wing’.

• Like 1