Liz Truss: What the world is saying about UK turmoil

Scott

14 hours ago, puchooay said:

There is 3% unemployment in UK.

Economists consider that when an economy is operating at a rate of <3% it is at 'full employment' which means that it will be difficult to fill any vacancies from the local workforce i.e. it will necessary to import labour.

14 hours ago, puchooay said:

Why don't you lobby the layabouts to pick the vacancies up?

No thanks. Sounds way too much like hard work for my liking ????

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

You're 'avin a larg, aint ya? Endless flow, taking all the jobs, there's now a chronic shortage of nurses, doctors, service staff, agricultural workers and goodness knows what else. All the EU workers were forced to leave and Jonny Brit is not stepping up to the plate to fill the gap because he/she's either not trained/qualified or not interested in that kind of work. Every country has people from other countries it relies on to fill labor gaps, in Thailand we rely on Myanmar and Cambodia, the UK used to rely on the Irish, in the 50's/60's we relied on India and Pakistan, until recently we relied on the EU. Today we don't have anyone although it looks like illegal Chanel crossings may soon solve that problem!

You are talking about two different things there .

People voting for Brexit is one thing .

Post Brexit is another thing 

Why people voted Brexit is one issue

The effects of Brexit at a anther issue 

And you are combining  the two 

• Like 1

I think she still gets her full salary, like 150,000 (insert whatever currency those blokes are using...pound, pence, quid, dong.....i forget....lol).

she's getting PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAID

OMG, PAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYED, or however you blokes understand it.  

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You are talking about two different things there .

People voting for Brexit is one thing .

Post Brexit is another thing 

Why people voted Brexit is one issue

The effects of Brexit at a anther issue 

And you are combining  the two 

Surely when casting a vote you should be aware of - and take into consideration - what will be the likely effects?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Combine, not combine, the reality is we voted ourselves a labor shortage and higher prices as a result.

If there are  labour shortages, then that would need to be addressed, either train people to do the jobs or lower the work visa requirements to allow people to enter the UK to work .

You need to look for solutions, rather than look for problems 

• Like 1

Just now, DezLez said:

Everything since the Brexit vote seems to be construed as connected to it by you but not by the rest of the world. 

Please let the forums stay on topic! 

Enough of Brexit talk from me . 

The absurd thing is , the people who chose the disaster Truss to be UK Prime Minister , may very well also be choosing the next P.M

They messed up last time , should they be allowed to have another go at it ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Enough of Brexit talk from me . 

The absurd thing is , the people who chose the disaster Truss to be UK Prime Minister , may very well also be choosing the next P.M

They messed up last time , should they be allowed to have another go at it ?

For once I agree.

There is, however, a simplified solution for the tory party, just ensure only one candidate gets the required 100 nominations. 

Problem is they won’t do that because there is no one capable of uniting all the factions that have engulfed the party. No matter who leads a significant number will be unhappy and unwilling to accept the result. 

The party needs a wholesale clear out and reboot. 

#generalelectionnow

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Considering that you are in Thailand , it may be a good idea to add *in the UK* to your hashtag .

Nope. 

For all thinking people, as it’s obvious this not a tw*tter stream, it’s clear what I mean. 

Edited by Bluespunk

19 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

#generalelectionnow

The next U.K general elections are scheduled for January 2025 and due to the Conservative current unpopularity they are highly unlikely to hold an election earlier .

You will just have to wait until 2025 for the next election 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The next U.K general elections are scheduled for January 2025 and due to the Conservative current unpopularity they are highly unlikely to hold an election earlier .

You will just have to wait until 2025 for the next election 

We’ll see, we’ll see…

tick tick tick

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

If there are  labour shortages, then that would need to be addressed, either train people to do the jobs or lower the work visa requirements to allow people to enter the UK to work .

You need to look for solutions, rather than look for problems 

Other solution would pay a decent wage with decent working conditions

and set a minimum price for a product based on what it costs to bring to market.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/aug/14/uk-farm-workers-kent-debt-indonesian-brokers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RayC said:

which means that it will be difficult to fill any vacancies from the local workforce i.e. it will necessary to import labour.

Not difficult. Just stop benefits for those with no excuse, ie disability, for unemployment and get them to work.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Not difficult. Just stop benefits for those with no excuse, ie disability, for unemployment and get them to work.

Yes, and  all those pensioners living abroad and struggling because of the exchange rate , get them all back to the U.K and living on sheds on farms in Suffolk and get them to pick all the apples .

No excuse,  get them back to work  , those in wheelchairs can plant the potatoes in spring 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, and  all those pensioners living abroad and struggling because of the exchange rate , get them all back to the U.K and living on sheds on farms in Suffolk and get them to pick all the apples .

No excuse,  get them back to work  , those in wheelchairs can plant the potatoes in spring 

Oh. Dear. Not quite sure what that was about. You clearly misread my post.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Oh. Dear. Not quite sure what that was about. You clearly misread my post.

I was agreeing with you , all those not working should be forced to do farm work or the Government stops giving them money and there shouldn't be any age limits either .

All those above 18 years old should have their money from the Government stopped and be sent out into the fields to work 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

Good idea. Let's employ those who have unfortunately lost an arm as fruit pickers. If they are city based they could be road sweepers.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I was agreeing with you , all those not working should be forced to do farm work or the Government stops giving them money and there shouldn't be any age limits either .

All those above 18 years old should have their money from the Government stopped and be sent out into the fields to work 

OK. Good. I was confused with the comments about pensioners. Those people were not in my mind.