Best way to import USD to Thailand for vacation?

I'm thinking about using wise to send say 2-4k USD to wife's Thai account and then we can withdrawl to spend on our vacation in Thailand.  She says her ATM withdrawals are free. Kasikorn is her bank.  I want to run this idea past folks.  Usually I  arrive with enough to get to BKK and go to super rich in BKK to exchange.   We will be all over Thailand and the ATM sounds like a good idea.  

You guys travel around Thailand with 4 k ? Trust hotel safes?  I even worried having 2000 in a money belt. And not comfortable.  

Super rich website says 37.9 and wise is 37.63 which is not lower Iike I thought it would be. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Elkski said:

You guys travel around Thailand with 4 k ?

Take cash to Bangkok. Exchange on ground floor and pay to Kasikorn account (100 m away). Then use ATM card in appropriate amounts.

No need to "travel around".

Of course if WISE is setup then transfer is a good idea.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Elkski said:

You guys travel around Thailand with 4 k ? Trust hotel safes?  I even worried having 2000 in a money belt. And not comfortable.  

Super rich website says 37.9 and wise is 37.63 which is not lower Iike I thought it would be. 

I don’t understand why people still carry foreign currency into Thailand in cash. I haven’t done that in 20 years. 

As soon as I got a Thai bank account I would just use my foreign debit card to take money out and then deposit it in my Thai account. 

This is back when ATMs were free of charge for foreign cards. I would only lose a few percent from the foreign currency fee.

These days I tend not to even carry baht and just pay with prompt pay everywhere. 

9 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Take cash to Bangkok. Exchange on ground floor and pay to Kasikorn account (100 m away). Then use ATM card in appropriate amounts.

No need to "travel around".

Of course if WISE is setup then transfer is a good idea.

I've exchanged a minimal amount at the airport super rich on the way to the train into BKK but the rate always seemed better at the asoke super rich.  Wise is set up.  If one travels with 40 hondos that means you need to find good rate exchanges.  Maybe if you don't travel into the boonies that's ok.   

Is the buy rate given on the super rich website always the same at each kiosk?  I didn't see a way to look at individual locations rates?

Are kasikorn ATM withdrawals still free like wife says.  I deplore being charged anything to take out money. 

https://www.superrich1965.com/home.php?language=en

Edited by Elkski

My small hotel in Ram. Rd., used to have a US professsor come regularly along with his US wife.

Just before leaving the US she always transferred US500- from herself to herself via Western Union.

Husband had given up trying to get her to change to better/cheaper methods of international transfer.

Hotel offered to accept transfers to the hotel owners a/c and pass it back to her on arrival no charges. She trusted nobody. 

But the twist, husband went to 2 unis nearby to teach most days, she stayed in her hotel room all day, on all their trips she spent a tiny amount of money, because she trusted nobody/everything poor quality etc. Most of the $500 was transferred back to the US, by Western Union, the day they departed Bkk. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Elkski said:

Are kasikorn ATM withdrawals still free like wife says.  I deplore being charged anything to take out money. 

I am not sure about Kasikorn.

What always works around: cardless withdrawal.

But for that internet banking on the mobile is necessary.

On 10/25/2022 at 8:40 AM, 2baht said:

If it's only 2 - 4k, I'd carry it in my pocket!

Don't know why people love to complicate the simplest things.  Not even 1 'pack' of notes.  I have that many in my wallet on a daily basis, when O&A.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Elkski said:

4k is chump change.

Not sure what the issue is.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Elkski said:

They’re free in the region where the bank account is registered but there’s a 25฿ charge for ATM withdrawals outside that region.

This is my experience, it may be different for others. I certainly got caught by surprise when it happened.

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I am now using WISE for transfers, safest and most effective way of getting money here. I don't lose anything on the cross-rate either.

Same with me as well and with the OP's wife using Kasikorn Bank, there's no upper limit on how much he can send. Wise, Wise means Win Win!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/25/2022 at 8:40 AM, 2baht said:

If it's only 2 - 4k, I'd carry it in my pocket!

Years ago I worked in the M/E for a company based in Dubai.When I finished my 6 week hitch in Iran for example at the hotel a company rep would come to our room and pay us in USD cash after I signed the time sheet and counted the cash. .Usually 10-12 k . I placed it in my man bag and never thought about it.Every other co I worked for only did wire transfers. To carry 2-4 k overseas is no big deal IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't worry about 4k traveling through airports and such.  It's what do you do with that once your in a condo or hotel room or staying at a resort in Krabi and want to go swimming or something.   I read horror stories about hotel room safes.   I carry less than 300$ in my wallet In USA  more like 150.  But use credit card most times. 

On 10/26/2022 at 11:23 AM, Everyman said:

don’t understand why people still carry foreign currency into Thailand in cash. I haven’t done that in 20 years. 

Because I could exchange it at superrich at the relative rate of my choosing, know the rate pre exchange, not incur card and or ATM withdrawal fees??

Of course, you need a bank to deposit the money and imo a residence to keep the home currency in pending change.

One thing sure... Those ATM fees are total mafia. What is it??? 500b a pull?!

Carrying the cash 5k through an airport is nothing. That's holiday money.

For OP Wise seems perfect and available option. No brainer. No idea how ATM fees not incurred but ok...

Edited by BonMot

Does a smart man trust that his wife knows what the ATM fees are?   Do most people care of figure what % it is?   So I ask what are the fees for ATM use at kasikorn in province or out of province.   She now admits there may be a fee outside of BKK. 

On 10/28/2022 at 2:42 AM, BonMot said:

Because I could exchange it at superrich at the relative rate of my choosing, know the rate pre exchange, not incur card and or ATM withdrawal fees??

Of course, you need a bank to deposit the money and imo a residence to keep the home currency in pending change.

One thing sure... Those ATM fees are total mafia. What is it??? 500b a pull?!

Carrying the cash 5k through an airport is nothing. That's holiday money.

For OP Wise seems perfect and available option. No brainer. No idea how ATM fees not incurred but ok...

Interesting how a 500 baht ATM fee is a big deal but 5k USD is “nothing” and “holiday money.” ????

• Haha 2