24-year-old man loses his leg in car crash in Chonburi, poor street lighting blamed

webfact

image.jpeg

PPHOTO: TMN Cable TV Pattaya

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Chonburi — A 24-year-old man crashed his motorbike into a pickup truck and lost his leg. The pickup truck driver blamed poor street lighting as the cause of the accident.

The incident took place in the Huai Yai subdistrict of Banglamung at late night yesterday, October 25th.

Sawang Boriboon rescue workers and Huai Yai police aided a Thai man, Mr. Atthaphon Simsuwan, 24, who crashed his white Honda MSX motorbike into a pickup truck and lost his left leg. 

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/10/26/24-year-old-man-loses-his-leg-in-car-crash-in-chonburi-poor-street-lighting-blamed/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-10-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

17 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Sad news, sorry for the poor chap.  

With all the new highway construction projects—I avoid night drives.  Street lighting, reflectors and painted lane lines really help—but they’re typically the last installations in each project.  And too many motorcycles have no visible taillights.

Yes it is tragic, a life ruined.

Although as a cynic I can say painted lanes are irrelevant as they are ignored.... woe betide you if you stay inside someone on a right bend because of lane markings....taillights not a factor here too....headlights on either the motorcycle or truck may have been. Your other comment so true.. didn't we just have a recent post on how some road had prominent manhole covers all the way down.... 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The pickup truck driver blamed poor street lighting as the cause of the accident.

I wonder if he had a dark tinted windshield? I did on the second hand car I purchased in Thailand. Surprising how much better night vision was when I removed the windshield tint (to the dismay of the service shop and Thai neighbors).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

And too many motorcycles have no visible taillights.

So true! It's not bad enough that they load down the front basket to block the headlight but they don't fix the rear light when it goes bad. Any night I go out driving I can count double digits the number of scooters without a working taillight.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

As I have mentioned before, there are bike owners who remove or disable the rear light bulb in the belief that it will prevent evil spirits from following them at night. .......????

I simply thought it was some fuel saving measure..... how about the front headlight, down to simply can't be bothered fixing it?

On 10/27/2022 at 6:25 AM, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

I am sure that ALL mechcanicaly propelled vehicles on Thai Roads have lights

And you assume that they are on and working?

And not the frontlight exchanged with a red bulb as it looks cool.

Backlights at motorcycles: my estimate 10% dark.

Riders in the night with proper gear, reflective stuff? 0.1% (one in a thousand).

Up here completely unlit motorbikes are a daily observance.

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 10/27/2022 at 2:49 PM, PETERTHEEATER said:

As I have mentioned before, there are bike owners who remove or disable the rear light bulb in the belief that it will prevent evil spirits from following them at night. .......????

I have now asked about a dozen of my Thai friends and not a single one has heard of this. Actually, they all laughed, and thought I was joking with them.