forex line graph

billd766

Can anybody help me out?

I am trying to make a line graph in Excel for daily forex rates.

I have X and Y axes sorted out but I cannot remember how to insert the data.

I have followed the how to guides from MS and I can sometimes get what I want but not where I want it which is in line 1.

I have tried to cut and paste but that doesn't seem to work for me.

I haven't done one of these in years and my memory has failed me, at 78 it is hardly surprising.

I'm only 77 and also forgotten most of this even though I taught it to year 12s before.

What I can remember (sort of) is Excel have a very good Help menue.

Go to the Help menu and type something like: how do I insert a forex line chart?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, carlyai said:

I'm only 77 and also forgotten most of this even though I taught it to year 12s before.

What I can remember (sort of) is Excel have a very good Help menue.

Go to the Help menu and type something like: how do I insert a forex line chart?

I did, I can get the date on the horizontal axis, the forex rate on the vertical axis OK. My problem is getting the data on the chart in the right place.

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Thank you.  I will look at that tomorrow.

I am looking specifically at the KBank forex, XE forex and Wise forex rates on a daily basis.

Banks just copy official rates and adjust spreads.

Set up a template on barchart. Put 2 moving averages. 3 day ema and 15 day ema. If the 3 day ema is above the 15 then the trend is up. If below the trend is down.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

My advice is not to reinvent the wheel on this, there's loads of sites out there that already have the daily exchange rates going back over 25 years.

I am not re-inventing the wheel, merely trying to get a simple answer to a fairly simple question.

If you had read my post I am looking specifically at KBank, XE, and Wise forex only as I have done certainly over the last 8 years.  I don't need loads of sites going back over the years.

I am merely trying to get a simple answer to a fairly simple question.

• Thumbs Up 2

If I assume your X and Y axes are the date of the forex on the x axis, and the rate on the y axis, you should be able to create a line graph by finding a function called X-Y scatter or similar in the Excel menus. Fill in the A column with the date, B column with the rate.

At least, that's what I have done in LibreOffice, haven't used Excel for years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

If I assume your X and Y axes are the date of the forex on the x axis, and the rate on the y axis, you should be able to create a line graph by finding a function called X-Y scatter or similar in the Excel menus. Fill in the A column with the date, B column with the rate.

Thank you. I have the X and Y functions sorted but I can't seem to get the graph to go into line 1 where I want it to be.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I have the X and Y functions sorted but I can't seem to get the graph to go into line 1 where I want it to be

I assume you have your data in 4 columns, DATE, XE, KBANK, WISE - select and highlight the data  and on the menu bar go to Insert and then Recommended Charts and pick Insert Line Chart. Pick the option you want Line with or without markers - you have your graph.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Barchart does the work for you

Screenshot_20221027-215854_Brave.jpg

I tried bar chart this morning and unless I missed something, it gives me the forex rate in general and not as I want which is bank specific.

Thank you for our help.

17 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I loaded Libre Office this morning, (I haven't used it for 2 or 3 years) and it quickly brought up the bar chart that I needed and now I have to tweak it to get it correct.

Thank you also for your help. It is much appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I tried bar chart this morning and unless I missed something, it gives me the forex rate in general and not as I want which is bank specific.

Thank you for our help.

Why do you want specific banks? They just copy the official rates less margin.

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

Is this what your are looking for (Excel)??

Sample data of course

bild.JPG.4656d8b20ab2a2da211f22cbe2d9a6f3.JPG

Thank you for that. It is what I wanted.

I managed to do it about an hour ago using Libre Office. Much easier than Excel. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

Why do you want specific banks? They just copy the official rates less margin.

I want KBank as that is my Thai bank, Wise as that is my UK bank, XE as a comparison and for amusement I have now added BBK Bank as that is where I transfer funds from Wise.

If you transfer money from the UK to Thailand, you won't get the official rate anyway, so for what I want, the official rate is useless.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I want KBank as that is my Thai bank, Wise as that is my UK bank, XE as a comparison and for amusement I have now added BBK Bank as that is where I transfer funds from Wise.

If you transfer money from the UK to Thailand, you won't get the official rate anyway, so for what I want, the official rate is useless.

Whats the graph for?