Rental Exit Strategy

48 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

A six month agreement would be at a discount price , usually about three times less than the combined daily fee , like  1000 Baht a night place would be 10 000 per month .

So you really should pay the daily rate if you are staying for less than a month 

The daily rate wouldn't come with a full month's deposit.

56 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

A six month agreement would be at a discount price , usually about three times less than the combined daily fee , like  1000 Baht a night place would be 10 000 per month .

So you really should pay the daily rate if you are staying for less than a month 

More like half

6 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

The daily rate wouldn't come with a full month's deposit.

What I meant was that he agreed on the price on the agreement that he stayed for six months , as he would be staying for less than six months then the six month rates wouldn't apply and he would have to pay the daily rate

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

What I meant was that he agreed on the price on the agreement that he stayed for six months , as he would be staying for less than six months then the six month rates wouldn't apply and he would have to pay the daily rate

I understand, but there are differences.

Condos cannot typically be rented by the day, either because of legislation requiring a hoteliers license or the restrictions in the condo property agreement, so there would unlikely be a daily rate or a weekly rate anyway.

Many landlords want 2 months deposit here, but let's say only 1 month deposit was paid along with 1 month upfront and let's say the stay was only for 2 weeks. The landlord would receive 2 months money for 2 weeks stay. Not perfect, but better than a kick in the teeth.

Circumstances change and a contract should typically reflect a penalty depending on what those changing circumstances are. Typically this would be a loss of deposit. If a rental agreement wanted more than that then you'd probably be foolish to sign it anyway.

Again, I'd probably have a chat with the landlord rather than just disappearing, but, on the occasion of the landlord becoming a duck with an i about it, I'd be off.

23 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Quite a few Landlords in the West would take legal action through the Courts to get the money they are owed, especially if the tenant was rich , just need to make a claim in the small claims Court and the tenant would end up with a CCJ in their name 

Never heard of that. People don't pay, they lose their deposit and have to leave. Never heard of a landlord taking legal action to get anything else in such a configuration.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Baron Samedi said:

Never heard of that. People don't pay, they lose their deposit and have to leave. Never heard of a landlord taking legal action to get anything else in such a configuration.

Landlords don't usually bother if the tenant doesn't have any money to pay , no point in getting a Court ruling if the cannot pay .

If the tenant has the money and its quite a significant amount , then landlord may take legal action if the tenant absconds , simply leaving the property doesn't put an and to the tenancy or the contract

Edited by Mac Mickmanus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Landlords don't usually bother if the tenant doesn't have any money to pay , no point in getting a Court ruling if the cannot pay .

If the tenant has the money and its quite a significant amount , then landlord may take legal action if the tenant absconds , simply leaving the property doesn't put an and to the tenancy or the contract

It depends on the contract.

If the contract says "you leave before x months, you lose your deposit" then this is how it goes. Period.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Baron Samedi said:

It depends on the contract.

If the contract says "you leave before x months, you lose your deposit" then this is how it goes. Period.

Contracts can have break clauses written in them where either side can terminate contact after a certain amount of time 

23 hours ago, Padthaigoong said:

No you forfeit your deposit.

Have you ever had a long term contract ?

It depends on what's written in the contract, they aren't all the same nor are landlords. Some blow it off and some can create a significant issue if they choose

Edited by Dan O
Spell correction
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Quite a few Landlords in the West would take legal action through the Courts to get the money they are owed, especially if the tenant was rich , just need to make a claim in the small claims Court and the tenant would end up with a CCJ in their name 

Never happens. The reason is that it could not be re-rented to get the judgement. They can't double dip. They would need to leave the place empty to potentially collect. Makes no sense. They just keep the deposit and re-rent.

Some places the landlord needs to prove to the court that they attempted to 'mitigate the loss'. So they would need to advertise and attempt to re-rent it after the tenant left early. They can't use the court as a tool to punish the tenant into paying the contract if there was an easier option.

Edited by JimTripper

5 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Never happens. The reason is that it could not be re-rented to get the judgement. They can't double dip. They would need to leave the place empty to potentially collect. Makes no sense. They just keep the deposit and re-rent.

It does happen in instances like the one in the O.P where the tenant just disappears and doesn't hand back the property .

Even when the tenant leaves and deserts the property, the landlord still needs to go to Court to legally get his property back, and that can take 6-12 months , otherwise its counted as an illegal eviction (without the Court order).

Also , the landlord may take a few months to find new tenants  and he can sue the previous tenants for the void period 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It does happen in instances like the one in the O.P where the tenant just disappears and doesn't hand back the property .

Even when the tenant leaves and deserts the property, the landlord still needs to go to Court to legally get his property back, and that can take 6-12 months , otherwise its counted as an illegal eviction (without the Court order).

Also , the landlord may take a few months to find new tenants  and he can sue the previous tenants for the void period 

Is that the way it works in Thailand, or do people just go in when the rent is not paid?

On 10/30/2022 at 6:26 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

What was so egregious about the room that you did not see when you signed? 

An ant infestation going into my clothes, the kitchen, the bathroom towels, my toiletries in the bedside drawer and a smell that wouldn't go away.

What they called a " City view " was the wall of an adjoining industrial type ventilation system and a derelict site used as a rubbish tip.

None of the lights worked, the engineer had to come and replace all the LED connectors and when he did so he covered my belongings with dust and grime

I felt tike a project manager for the first week, sorting out all the problems no one cared a sniff about to fix before I arrived.

The kettle leaked water so that if you were to turn it on I believe it was a life threatening electrical hazard.

There were no cups or kitchen utensils. In fact the only kitchen utensil I found was stuck in the aircon ventilator.

The whole place exuded " We couldnot give a deleted " and " F you we have your money "

To top it off the place had a smell like the sewer that wouldn't go away and I couldn't leave a day too soon despite any monetary loss.

I am very happy now in a nice hotel.

Lesson learned.

• Thumbs Up 1

If there's bugs and smells and people are coming in and out, just leave.

That's a dealbreaker, nothing to feel guilty about leaving. You can't spend your life being someone else's property manager and watching as the place gets fixed up.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, JimTripper said:

Sublet it. Tell the owner your leaving but will find a new tenant.

I had a renter do this to me a long time ago and I just accepted it and it worked out. You can't make somebody stay if they need to leave and telling them to pay for a full year is just not realistic.

Real life is compromise, work it out.

Lol

I'm gone already.

Do you have any experience of renting in Thailand because it sounds as if you don't ?

You leave and lose your deposit

THE END

7 minutes ago, Padthaigoong said:

Lol

I'm gone already.

Do you have any experience of renting in Thailand because it sounds as if you don't ?

You leave and lose your deposit

THE END

Yes, I have rented in Thailand for years. Next time don't rent a place without visiting in person first. My guess is that you were fooled by pictures.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Yes, I have rented in Thailand for years. Next time don't rent a place without visiting in person first.

Agree with that 100 %

That was my mistake and a dumb newbie one I shouldn't have made.

After three years out of the country I got duped. Hold my hands up on that and hope this is a warning to anyone else in the same situation.

Edited by Padthaigoong
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Padthaigoong said:

Agree with that 100 %

That was my mistake and a dumb newbie one I shouldn't have made.

After three years out of the country I got duped. Hold my hands up on that and hope this is a warning to anyone else in the same situation.

Did you rent through a realtor looking at their pictures online?

If so, you can ask them to negotiate the deposit back. That's the main reason to use them in fact.

That really works well if you get an agent you like. You can both show up and tag team the owner at the unit. I did that once and got the deposit returned.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Padthaigoong said:

I am very happy now in a nice hotel.

Lesson learned.

Well, ok, good for you getting out of there... it sounds like a real dump. I do remember a similar experience just after graduating college, the first apartment I found on my own. I was glad to find something so cheap and just signed moments after seeing it, etc etc.. and after my father saw it, he managed to get me out of my lease as there were probably many code violations, though I lost my security deposit... 

I am glad to hear you are finished with that place and on to the next... 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1