EV Owners … Real life experience & help thread

KhunLA

Less than 1 hr of charging, and it did add 2kW, as now @ 69%

Stopped it, as the extension cord and plugs at wall is a bit warmer than I'd like.  200m extension cord, I did NOT unravel, yea I know, and warmed up too much, which carried over to the ends of.

Need to buy a 20m high volt capacity extension cord.  One used is not mine, but the house builder's, and krap to begin with.  2 prong plug, with 3 prong outlet on it ????  As long as it is, it's not very heavy, wt. wise, so a bit telling ????

Edited by KhunLA

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

MG ZS ... using the granny charger now, rated @ 2.4 kW on 10A outlet.

I thought the "granny charger" was just for emergencies?

Is there a way to make the "granny charger" safe and you do not need a wall box?

(12 h charging time overnight results in approx. 28 kw : 0.200 kw/km = 140 km range ...)

12 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

I thought the "granny charger" was just for emergencies?

Is there a way to make the "granny charger" safe and you do not need a wall box?

(12 h charging time overnight results in approx. 28 kw : 0.200 kw/km = 140 km range ...)

Good query ????  Will have to ask or have wife actually read the user manual.   I read part yesterday using G-lens.  

2 hrs would give shy of 5kW, and only good for about 30-40 ish kms driving, so would think made for longer charge period.  The unit itself was no warmer than I would expect. 

MG site does state a really long time to charge car if using, implying safe to. 

" "Estimated charging time (2.2kW 3-pin domestic) to 100% (emergency use) 26.5 hours

Get back to you, unless someone beats me to it.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Just curious, but wouldn’t a granny charger be better for you battery then that wall charger as it charges slower?

Opinions on this vary. 

Certainly, wallbox and granny are better for your battery than rapid DC charging.

Edited by macahoom
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, macahoom said:

To add to this. I have read lots about the MGZS EV on a couple of UK forums since getting my car over 3 years ago. Plenty of UK owners use only granny charging at home.

In the long run, granny charging is better for the battery than fast charging (according to what I read). However, it’s rather inconvenient if you require a lot of charge each time, due to the speed. 

If I had an EV, I would install a wall box. Since I’m only getting a PHEV, albeit 34 kWh, I will try using a granny charger only. I will still install the wall box as it comes free with the car.

Sorry, sorry, not free as it’s included in the price of the car already ????

• Love It 1

Anyone looking for an extension cord for any reason (MG EV / power tools), I can recommend this one after 1 hr use.  Plug/socket conx not warm at all while charger the car.  Only 10m, and more than I need, ฿560  @ HomePro.  I didn't shop around, so possibly cheaper elsewhere.

image.png.aacaf0da7f808d8214ed0a0d81fee56e.png

https://www.homepro.co.th/p/1105137

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Anyone looking for an extension cord for any reason (MG EV / power tools), I can recommend this one after 1 hr use.  Plug/socket conx not warm at all while charger the car.  Only 10m, and more than I need, ฿560  @ HomePro.  I didn't shop around, so possibly cheaper elsewhere.

image.png.aacaf0da7f808d8214ed0a0d81fee56e.png

https://www.homepro.co.th/p/1105137

Now the only thing you should buy is a timer so that you can charge the Car during the day and thus doesn't drain your Solar Batteries ????

We use these

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/wip-timer-w-ts222-24-5-kerry-i1182110777-s2804348408.html

Edited by MJCM
  • Thumbs Up 1

We have a PHEV ... but the battery is only 6.2kWh. I ran a new 2.5mm twin and earth cable from a 20A breaker to a new wall socket adjacent to when we park the car. It charges at about 9A. The car has a 6A charge setting, but it won't set at that. Actually is at the dealers now to find out why. Seems that the software will not select that setting ... dealer is asking the tech dept why, also looking to see if its the same on other 2019year cars ... will let us know result tomorrow. 

6A would, at times when the sun is not so strong be an advantage.  

2 hours ago, Klonko said:

2600 km road trip with Ora GoodCat Ultra 500

Sattahip - Kabin Buri - Korat - Chaiyaphum - Nam Nao NP - Lam Nam Man NP - Doi Phu Kha NP - Doi Chang (Chiang Rai)- Ping River - Bangkok - Sattahip

Trip planned in InRoute app with GoogleMaps and PlugShare. Car navigation with Apple Maps (CarPlay). We do not use the car's navigation system because addresses are often not found, GPS coordinates not accepted, and traffic congestions less considered.

We have A/C switched on @ 25-26°C, pre-cool the parked car and keep the 90 kph speed limit. Range 100% charged is ≥ 400km @ ≤ 90 kph, which translates into an efficient 200 km range during long trips (battery between 60% for faster charging and 10% as safety margin). Continuous 120 kph reduce range to 275 km.

Once we could trickle charge overnight, else our onboard AC charger indicated grounding errors. Therefore, it is most efficient to DC charge up to 60% after two hours driving, resulting in 35 minutes gross charging time, i.e. after deducting the 15 minutes regular break after two hours driving, charging takes 20 minutes extra. DC charging costs were THB 121 per 100 km.

Slow DC charging and Thai only navigation and voice commands were known to me upon purchasing the car. The slow DC charging is mitigated because most DC chargers in Thailand are limited to 50-60 kW. Positive surprises were how well the adaptive cruise control and lane assistance worked in curves, smoother than in the Tesla, albeit at cautious speeds. Negative surprises were the very harsh one pedal drive when driving away and stopping, the harsh adaptive cruise control in stop and go traffic, the inability of the adaptive cruise control to scope with larger speed differentials, and the lack of regeneration braking while adaptive cruise control is active. The GUI has room for improvement. But overall, it is a car with a comfortable and enjoyable ride, decent range and good value for the price. I like its exterior and interior design. Our road trip was very much sabay.

My priorities for improving my BEV experience in Thailand are:

1st: one pedal and adaptive cruise control to be smooth also at low speeds, adaptive cruise control working at any speed differential, and regeneration braking while cruise control is active.

2nd: car navigation with improved traffic routing and accepting GPS coordinates or locations sent from navigation apps.

3rd: flood resistance > 30 cm water depth.

4th: both the car and the DC chargers to charge @ >100 kW.

5th: car with 500 km real range.

Ease of driving is more important to me than faster charging and more range. Usually we charge at home. For our one or two road trips and a few longer one day or overnight drives per year, charging on the road is no problem.

1094959719_Bildschirmfoto2022-11-01um21_49_14.png.thumb.png.12b7cc88106d7f395f597b41e22654a3.png

Thanks for an excellent review.

• Thumbs Up 1

MG ZS EV 2022

Started granny charging yesterday @60%, <3hrs added ~6kW / 11%

Charging now since 0800 ish hrs, and hope to be topped up by 1600hrs

Also hope the ESSs are topped up by that time also, as needing 13kW.

Solar system handling the task nicely, with no assistance from the grid:

image.png.6f66df74746161e1b0ef30baca7ba96d.png

• Like 2

Right on time, and impressed with MG's specs and estimates concerning the ZS.  Range as state, actually better than expected at speed (90kph).

Granny charger, as stated, and makes things easy to calculate & predict.

"hope to be topped up by 1600hrs"

313353745_1200304680834930_1590485921522893488_n.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

Biggest negative for me is that it doesn't have a spare wheel, not even a space-saver. There's a foam fill repair kit. However looks like there's space under the boot floor for a space-saver / jack etc. 

Ditto, though not an EV thing, as same with the MG ZS ICE.  We did order a real wheel & hub, as only 1000 baht more than spare donut tire.  Fits in boot, though floor on top tier, and takes up a wee bit of space.  Also bought a small floor jack for the ICE, both fitting under with space to spare.  Yet to use either, thankfully.  Haven't taken notice of the EV's boot yet.  Hmmm....

Though don't have to bend over, as level floor, which my back is happy about.  Sadly the ICE is 16", and EV is 17", so can't use.

Not sure if I'll pick up a spare or whole tire/hub for the EV.  5 yrs road service, so not sure.  Can't see my traveling without a spare though.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Ditto, though not an EV thing, as same with the MG ZS ICE.  We did order a real wheel & hub, as only 1000 baht more than spare donut tire.  Fits in boot, though floor on top tier, and takes up a wee bit of space.  Also bought a small floor jack for the ICE, both fitting under with space to spare.  Yet to use either, thankfully.  Haven't taken notice of the EV's boot yet.  Hmmm....

Though don't have to bend over, as level floor, which my back is happy about.  Sadly the ICE is 16", and EV is 17", so can't use.

Not sure if I'll pick up a spare or whole tire/hub for the EV.  5 yrs road service, so not sure.  Can't see my traveling without a spare though.

You can run a 16” emergency spare on a 17” car ( as long as you use it only for emergencies to get you to a repair shop and at below 80 kph ). I did try it out but I have used these smaller tires in the past.

I have a ZS with 17” wheels ( the X model ) and ordered an emergency/donut , means I can still use the lower level of boot floor but did cost me 7500 baht.

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Thanks 1

Spare wheel + tools mean 25 kg dead weight and lost space for the 150'000 km until you statisticaly  experience a flat tire. IMHO a tire repair set is sufficient if you drive on paved roads. A spare wheel provides emotional comfort because flat tire and dead battery are the (only) car breakdowns which most people can repair themselves on the road, especially with today's car electronics.  

P.s. My last flat car tire was 46 years ago.

Edited by Klonko
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Klonko said:

Spare wheel + tools mean 25 kg dead weight and lost space for the 150'000 km until you statisticaly  experience a flat tire. IMHO a tire repair set is sufficient if you drive on paved roads.

Guess I'm unlucky then because I've had 3 punctures in last 7 years driving on paved roads. Possibly having low profile tyres doesn't help but nonetheless. 

9 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

BYD Atto now on order. Test drove briefly yesterday and more impressed than I thought i'd be with the ride quality and the power delivery. Certainly can feel the weight of the vehicle but it accelerates quicker than I thought it would (claims 0-100 kmh in 7.3 s). Biggest negative for me is that it doesn't have a spare wheel, not even a space-saver. There's a foam fill repair kit. However looks like there's space under the boot floor for a space-saver / jack etc. 

Not sure when delivery will take place - they said 'hopefully this month' but I suspect it might be longer. I'm not in any hurry.

image.jpeg

Recently, BYD Rever has released an official statement about the number of BYD Atto 3 reservations. Which swept a total of 2,507 cars within 1 day only! The most popular color is Forest Green for customers who have ordered this color. There may be longer queues than other colors.

https://www.headlightmag.com/2022-11-02-byd-atto-3-booking-over-4000-unit-in-a-day/

5,000 vehicles delivered by end of 2022 and a further 3,000 delivered January 2023

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Recently, BYD Rever has released an official statement about the number of BYD Atto 3 reservations. Which swept a total of 2,507 cars within 1 day only! The most popular color is Forest Green for customers who have ordered this color. There may be longer queues than other colors.

Thanks for the article. I went for the green one.

That article also says that the normal version (50 kWh; the Extended Range is 60 kWh) will be launched in Thailand on 11 November. Overseas that sells for about USD 3,000 less than the Extended range, so maybe they'll offer it here for 1.1 million (vs 1.2 for the Extended). Or possibly less.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BKKBike09 said:

Thanks for the article. I went for the green one.

That article also says that the normal version (50 kWh; the Extended Range is 60 kWh) will be launched in Thailand on 11 November. Overseas that sells for about USD 3,000 less than the Extended range, so maybe they'll offer it here for 1.1 million (vs 1.2 for the Extended). Or possibly less.

I would hazzard a guess that the standard model will be priced at between B900,000-B999,000

marketing wise I am assuming they see their nearest competitor as the MG ZS EV at B949,000 

Ready for the knockin' around town range test.  Expecting the WLTP / 320 & NEDC / 403 ratings to be extremely accurate.  As our kph local fall within their test speeds of 37/47.   Expecting closer to the NEDC / 400 kms mark, as I'm more like 25-50 on the scooter around town.  That is average speed of most folks around our 'small-ish' fishing village ????

Off PhetKasem / Hwy #4, and only 1 road, 4 lane divided w/overpass to surfside is signed @ 60 kph.  Strangely, most travel the speed limit locally.

1600 hr - 0900 hrs, 15hrs later and any monitoring or auto start apps on the ZS hasn't affected the battery, still at 100% since topping up yesterday.

image.png.9aae6cd9d453955cfadef0d11a6224c9.png

Not sure where the 342 kms comes from.  Maybe the car has averaged in past driving numbers.  Our almost constant 90kph, along with MG's QC & transport kms, apparently at a very low speed.  Noticed 257 kms on the clock after our 'over the road' test, which should have been about 245 kms, just us, I think.

Might take at least a week for us to rack up about 200 kms on the ZS.

Happy Travels

Edited by KhunLA