EV Owners … Real life experience & help thread

KhunLA

55 minutes ago, Greenside said:

Ordered and paid a deposit on an MG4 (extended range) which I'm hoping to see in February and now planning the solar setup to support it (and possibly another BEV in due course) as well as run the house for about 8 hours in the evening and send any surplus back to the grid.  Am I right in thinking that this requires what is termed a Hybrid system here in Thailand?

I've been an EV enthusiast for some time but not yet got to grips sufficiently with solar so any advice would be much appreciated.

That’s interesting, I thought only the standard range was available in Thailand ?

2 hours ago, Greenside said:

There are Model D and  Gen X variations - the X being the higher spec and 100k more expensive at 969,000.  I believe that has the larger battery and more range and is equivalent to the MG4 Trophy as sold in the UK

I think you will find that both the X and the D models here in Thailand have the standard range ( 51 kWh ) battery.

In the U.K. the SE (D) is available in standard range and SE (D) and Trophy (X)  available in extended range .

“ The MG4 is priced at 869,000 Baht for the D variant and 969,000 Baht for the X variant.
It comes with a 51kWh lithium battery powering a rear-mounted motor developing 170hp and 250Nm The MG4 has a range of 425kms (NEDC) or 350kms (WLTP).
It is built from MG’s new Nebula Pure Electric Platform and offers sporty handling, thanks to a low center of gravity, short overhangs and a 50-50 front-rear weight distribution.
Distributor MG Thailand recently invited the Thai media for a short drive opportunity for the MG4 X variant at the Pathumthani Speedway. “

Source  thaiautonews.net 

The difference between X and D variants is D lacks:

Sat Nav, rear spoiler, 360 degrees camera, access to the iSmart app and voice controls , wireless charger, two tone interior, availability in Brighton Blue amongst other things.

The X version on sale here is a good looking car at a great price and the RWD/ LFP battery combination gives an excellent 50/50 weight distribution.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s second on my list of EV’s that I would like to buy, if the extended range battery was available here it could be first.

3 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

Any real life experience with owners that have had their EV for more than 5 years and health of batteries and the warranties that come along with them in Thailand?

This site's stats are iffy at time, but saying that, not a whole lot of history of BEVs / EVs in Thailand for folks to chime in on.  Like myself, I think many waited, still waiting, for more options.

image.png.a304f0107c6fe0eb0d88ecf7d9f7f7b5.png

https://www.statista.com/outlook/mmo/electric-vehicles/thailand#unit-sales

Another graph:

image.png.f89936c4a709319b835d2e1abecd16f4.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug-in_electric_vehicles_in_Thailand#Domestic_manufacturing_and_sales

There's a few Youtube vids out there, with owner sharing their experiences, and quite impressive, the lack of battery degradation reported by them:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1280254-ev-seeking-advice-or-suggestions/page/2/#comment-17781623

Edited by KhunLA

19 hours ago, Greenside said:

... now planning the solar setup to support it (and possibly another BEV in due course) as well as run the house for about 8 hours in the evening and send any surplus back to the grid.  Am I right in thinking that this requires what is termed a Hybrid system here in Thailand?

I've been an EV enthusiast for some time but not yet got to grips sufficiently with solar so any advice would be much appreciated.

@Greenside

you can find useful information regarding solar systems here:

https://aseannow.com/forum/319-alternativerenewable-energy-forum/

Excellent article and explanation about EVs & battery, composition, maintenance & life expectancy (degradation).

Using the one chart, expected life / cycles before 80% capacity level, and 2500 cycle (LFP), times my average of 350 kms per cycle, and the MG ZS is good for a ball park of 875k kms ????  And ... will still be going strong afterward.   Yea, that's the last car I will definitely ever own, along with the wife.   As long as the rest of the car last as long as the battery & motor.  875k ÷ 20k kms a year ????

https://zecar.com/resources/how-long-do-electric-car-batteries-last

Edited by KhunLA

21 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I think you will find that both the X and the D models here in Thailand have the standard range ( 51 kWh ) battery.

In the U.K. the SE (D) is available in standard range and SE (D) and Trophy (X)  available in extended range .

“ The MG4 is priced at 869,000 Baht for the D variant and 969,000 Baht for the X variant.
It comes with a 51kWh lithium battery powering a rear-mounted motor developing 170hp and 250Nm The MG4 has a range of 425kms (NEDC) or 350kms (WLTP).
It is built from MG’s new Nebula Pure Electric Platform and offers sporty handling, thanks to a low center of gravity, short overhangs and a 50-50 front-rear weight distribution.
Distributor MG Thailand recently invited the Thai media for a short drive opportunity for the MG4 X variant at the Pathumthani Speedway. “

Source  thaiautonews.net 

The difference between X and D variants is D lacks:

Sat Nav, rear spoiler, 360 degrees camera, access to the iSmart app and voice controls , wireless charger, two tone interior, availability in Brighton Blue amongst other things.

The X version on sale here is a good looking car at a great price and the RWD/ LFP battery combination gives an excellent 50/50 weight distribution.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s second on my list of EV’s that I would like to buy, if the extended range battery was available here it could be first.

Thanks for the info.  Nowhere could I find the battery comparison for Thailand but the overall higher specs were the main deciding factor for me so I'm not disappointed that both D and X are the same size. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Greenside said:

Thanks for the info.  Nowhere could I find the battery comparison for Thailand but the overall higher specs were the main deciding factor for me so I'm not disappointed that both D and X are the same size. 

Yes, I hope I didn’t come across as a smug bar steward, I just wanted to make you aware.

I’ve been following the MG4 for a while on FB groups and YouTube reviews and I admit it wasn’t exactly obvious what specs are being sold here, on the MG website the X and D have the LFP battery and the same quoted range but it’s all in Thai so not clear. Also elsewhere the Trophy/Exclusive(Ireland) equivalent of the X version is only available in extended range adds to the confusion.

As i said earlier it’s a great looking car with great spec and an attractive price , a shame about the extended range not available here although the benefits of the LFP battery ( being able to charge to 100 % daily and safer ) add to its appeal.

I’m currently interested in the BYD Atto 3 but the cheaper MG4 X , with a dealership over the road , a reasonable chance to part ex my existing MG and the no nonsense interior compared to the Atto 3 makes it a strong contender .

From what I’ve seen so far the MG4 has had a few (3) issues but all resolved and the only real complaint is the low range achieved in the U.K. winter which obviously won’t be a problem here.

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Greenside said:

The specs on MG's website show a capacity of 51kWh for both MG4 models:
image.png.36105f8915d925a955c26caf38965636.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As I may have stated 1 or 10 times, major plus for me, having the EV, it gets us O&A (Out & About).   With the ICE, we probably wouldn't bother, since costing at least ฿350 for just a 100kms daytrip, let alone any further.

Not a whole lot worth paying that for to see, a viewpoint, coffee shop, different bay.  Not on a special trip anyway, maybe if in the neighborhood. 

Well, maybe for those pancakes ... damn they were tasty.

image.png.aebd54734b4578bb40a0faf544c06337.png

Just a few we took for January, daytrip or overnight, of ~100kms or more:

O&A.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

So ... what's a normal 'local' O&A like.  Local = 100-250 kms, no CS, and topping back up at the house.

Popped up to Hua Hin, about 100 kms away (~ 200 km day), for a munch, and CS tester, before being 'on the roads' over night.  Tested EV Station, plugged in, started charging, 5 mins, unplugged & paid via CC.  Just a test / No issues ????

Hua Hin, nice munch, very little shopping and returned home about 1600hrs

Topping MG ZS back up, with solar, still an hour producing, partially, so plugged in, 1st day ????

2nd day, up before sunrise, 0615 hr, plugged in till about 1645 hr, didn't quite finish. Could have, but didn't want to take the ESSs down any further.

3rd day, topped up, most from ESSs.   Of course, could have used 2 other options; wall charger or MG CS, or combos of all.  I went with -0- baht option.

image.png.50f8445c790a9754c99a2794629e48a5.png

• Like 1

You could make a few bucks opening a EV school LA.I never took any notice about the surging in traffic till you mentioned it.

Was in a taxi in Bangkok last week and looked across to see this SUV acting like a prancing horse.

On closer inspection as it went passed it was a Nissan Skip EV.

That driver could of done with your help.

Keep up the good work..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

First time actually using the (free installed) MG Wall Charger, beyond just testing a few kWh.

O&A locally yesterday, but used 55%, and going out again, so want quick charge/grid vs granny/solar.   Wall Charger has dedicated line, so bypasses the solar inverter, w/grid off.

PEA meter @ 123 +/-

Started charging from 45% +/- took 4hr/32mins

for 100%, extra time for balancing cells.

ZS battery is 50.3kWh usable 46.3 kWh
27.665kWh for 50.3 (55%)
25.465kWh for 46.3 (55%)
Final PEA meter @ 155-123=32/31 kWh

z MG ZS EV 2022.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

ZS battery is 50.3kWh usable 46.3 kWh
27.665kWh for 50.3 (55%)
25.465kWh for 46.3 (55%)
Final PEA meter @ 155-123=32/31 kWh

thanks for the informative stats.

is it typical for the charging losses to be so significant (about 20%)?

6 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

thanks for the informative stats.

is it typical for the charging losses to be so significant (about 20%)?

TBH, haven't a clue, our first EV, that I can track #s, and really haven't researched it at all.   Curious myself why it took maybe 5kWh more than storage capacity of cells.  Energy used to balance, which would be quite a bit.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Tested out camping in the EV (MG ZS) .... AND

Thankfully, hotels are inexpensive here.  Plan was to overnight at Hat Wanakorn National Park, a very local park, 32 kms away.

Just a tester, to see if worth the hassle of bringing a mattress with us, when O&A in very rural N or NE, as planning soon,  That was a fail, the park, Has NO DOGS policy.  Signed, though strange, as I see dogs there on Gmap.

So popped over by the Myanmar border, to camping/restaurant/coffee shop vendor.   Also very local, 16 kms away, and got there just about sunset.  Nice setting, but restaurant & coffee shop close.   Expected, as we stopped @ 7-11 on the way, for all things unhealthy.   Hey, it's a holiday, well, tomorrow anyway, as this was last night

They gave us electric, as not sure if can use V2L while car is running.   Settled in for some movie watching on the laptop, all fine & dandy.  Few hours of that, ready to snooze.

Well ... wife had surgery recently, and still on the mend, and getting in & out to P a couple times was uncomfortable.   Roomy, ZS, it is not, 2 adults & dog, manageable, but, if you don't have to, why bother.

Last P run, before snoozing .... "UP2U honey ... snooze here or in our bed at home?"

20 minutes later ... BLISS ????

ZS uses very few kWh while full on, w/AC on.  12 hrs wouldn't use much at all.   It was actually quite pleasant after sunset, 28 ish & windy.   Except for security & humidity, could snooze with windows open & no AC, as not buggy out at all last night.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our usual EV use, daily & weekly.

Daily, non mandatory use, and it's a 12.5 kms cruise to the park (yellow) with the dog, and along the surf.  Today, and usually on scooter, as car is charging.  Yesterday in the car, but cut short, no surf cruise-by, as knowing going O&A later.

image.png.2d001fd306ac2cab6ff33d24af6121ab.png

Try to do a 'local' O&A, weekly.  Local means, not overnight, or need to stop at CS (charging station), so less than 250 kms.

Yesterday was short morning park run, then up to Pak Nam Pran Beach area for a munch, late afternoon, early evening.

Total for day 180kms / 5 ish hrs (per Gmaps):

AM ... Driving - 4.9 km / 16 min

PM ... Driving - 78.5 km / 1 hr, 1 min

Wake Up Coffee & Bistro 4:18 PM - 5:28 PM

(dog in car, running full on electric w/AC on)

Driving - 96.4 km / 5 hr, 13 min total

Mixed driving @ 90/95 cruise control on hwy#4

30-60 kms off hwy#4

Car estimate in 'Eco mode' 360kms, so 1/2 that

for the day, with dog in car for 1+ hr w/AC on.

We usually meet or exceed that 360 kms per charge estimate by the car in 'Eco mode' (MG ZS)

Use 55% of 46.3 kWh of battery. which will take 2 days (6+ hrs each) to top back up using solar, or could put on grid for a few hours, if wanting/needing.

Yesterday:

image.png.ac4dfdbe11870adcce0f1e3f720ad451.png

• Love It 1

Topping up from 45% to 76% took 7+ hrs, and car saying another 24% / 6 hrs to go, tomorrow.   Last 20% tops up slower, due to balancing the cells.

Or put on grid (25.5kWh) @ 7.4kWh for ~4 hrs +/-

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Last 20% tops up slower, due to balancing the cells.

Are you sure about that?

My ZS, which is a 2019 model, balances the cells after a 100% charge is achieved.

And the charging slows down from 80% to 100% to protect the battery.

2 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Are you sure about that?

My ZS, which is a 2019 model, balances the cells after a 100% charge is achieved.

And the charging slows down from 80% to 100% to protect the battery.

OK, that even better, more precise explanation ????

13 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

OK, that even better, more precise explanation ????

Once the car has reached 100% and finished charging, the ZSEV badge will not pulse, but will glow continuously with no pulsing.  Once this light goes out, the battery has finished the balancing process.

Something tells me you're not keen on reading manuals?

Edited by macahoom
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, macahoom said:

Once the car has reached 100% and finished charging, the ZSEV badge will not pulse, but will glow continuously with no pulsing.  Once this light goes out, the battery has finished the balancing process.

Something tells me you're not keen on reading manuals?

You think ... ZS says 'completed' ... I'm happy

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting phone call yesterday.  MG ZS EV (2022), as most cars comes with 1 yr insurance.  Got a sales pitch to extend for another at ฿10.8k.

Kind of strange, since doesn't expire till mid Oct. Also informed if any little dings on car now, if touched up, wouldn't be considered a 'claim' against any 'no claim' discount.   Thought that strange.

Does give a ball park idea how much coverage will cost when comparing.   Usually get ins from nephew, as the ZS ICE was only ฿8+k a year, and good coverage.

Considering the EV version is valued @ 2X more the ICE version, ฿10.8k is nice ball park. 

Specifics of coverage,  I didn't bother asking, as driving at the time, and not in shopping mode.  Guess we already have info somewhere.

Popped up to Krung Thep the other day, did 70% top up (MG) on the way, before 'downtown area', then early top up 50% after leaving @ Phetchaburi (PEA Volta).  

Visit daughter for very nice dinner @ Fam Tim (Italian), very nice choice by her and partner (our new son).  Worth testing out if in the area.

Could make to the hotel from PKK, but don't enjoy being in KT's traffic.

Took long scenic route home, via Kaeng Krachan, so happy we topped up at Phetchaburi, as got home with only 22%. 

Since empty back roads to and around KK, had some fun with the ZS, and it performs very nicely.

Even though SUV, sits high and top heavy, still has heavy center of gravity, and fun to drive.   Although, I'll save the drifting through the mountain curves for the next car ????  That Porsche after we hit the PowerBall.

Home/PKK to KT/T21, as reference is 290 kms, so no need to charge on the way, unless taking a scenic route.

We easily get 350-60 per full charge, though I usually like to keep ~100 km reserve.   Which was good, as had 80+kms, when having an user error oops at first stop, so just continued on to a familiar MG CS.

260 kms / 3.5 hrs @ 90 kph hopefully, on TH roads, and a break is always welcome.  Still giving me my 100km reserve.   First time O&A taking it to 30%.  Not an issue where we were, as a CS every few kms, but do plan if in more desolate areas, and call ahead, make sure operational.

Saw a white version of our ZS, using it's granny cord / charger, way out in front of their bungalow, at a resort, that we popped into for smoothie with a view while @ KK.  Good for a chuckle, wonder if extra charge for plugging in.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

Day #3 of charging the ZS via Solar ????

Day #1 / 2 / 3 ... 22 / 52 / 77 % start, and should top up today before 1600 hrs.  At least 6 hrs per day.  Of course I could have simply used the grid overnight @ 7.4kWh vs 2.3kWh via granny cord.

Having the E-MB for simple chores, morning dog run, and actually went shopping at Makro w/wife.  Think a first using the scooter, and works if not stocking up.

8kWh solar enough to power house, 2ACs (13 & 24BTUs) & the ZS EV.

Goes something like this, in stages, car, bdrm AC, main AC:

image.png.47949f0818c54c5264e908136391b765.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Love It 1