EV Owners … Real life experience & help thread

KhunLA

5 minutes ago, macahoom said:

I'm not sure if you're asking a question here. But in my car, when I power it up, the radio plays at the same volume I left it at, if that helps.

2 hours ago, macahoom said:

It's a common complaint, but a minor annoyance.

I only ask this because of

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

On my ZS (ICE ) If you wait until the info screen loads and the radio comes on all is good. If , like me, you are impatient and select reverse before the radio has started it comes on at full volume ( ear splittingly loud and the 1st time i jolted my neck ) and can only be stopped by deselecting reverse ( volume buttons and the screen are overridden ).

Of course waiting for the screen to load and radio starts ( at normal volume ) is the answer but I am curious if any MG owner ( ICE or EV ) has experienced this.

And sorry that is not something I would like o experience (especially the BOLD (sorry mods changed a post)

MG and the ZS is continuing to impress me.  MG marketing honesty vs Toyota as an example of not so honest.  

Latest top up to 100% and 418 kms rack up

Using shy of 10% of the battery, and adding 30 kms, and still have more to go, before matching the WLTP's rating of 320 kms per charge.

As you can see, average speed of 28 kph, with a mix of coasting down our driveway/gravel soi, low speed at park, and through one-ish lane soi in town, due to deliveries, so stop & go.  Also on hwy #4 & RR overpass @ 60 kph and driving 40-50 on surfside rd & 4 lane returning home.  That is my usual 13 ish km daily run; home-park-surfside-home.

That said, 30kms using <10%, and ZS stating 12.9 kms per kW.

Do the math, and on the way to 600+ kms per charge, knockin' around town, and with the AC on.

That would be very impressive, and 50% over the NEDC rating of 403 kms.

10%.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/3/2022 at 1:06 AM, BKKBike09 said:

Thanks for the article. I went for the green one.

That article also says that the normal version (50 kWh; the Extended Range is 60 kWh) will be launched in Thailand on 11 November. Overseas that sells for about USD 3,000 less than the Extended range, so maybe they'll offer it here for 1.1 million (vs 1.2 for the Extended). Or possibly less.

Looks like you were correct on pricing for standard version 1,099,900 baht so 100K difference between the standard and extended 

Bought a G-Wiz leccy car 20years ago, range 50ish miles.

Travelling to work and back going up a long steep hill brought

the range down to 7 miles with bicycles overtaking me, used to

carry a generator in the back, and an electric heater under the

batteries in the winter, electrical malfunctions finally sealed its fate.

My faithfull old Isetta bubble car wins hands down.

14 hours ago, talahtnut said:

Bought a G-Wiz leccy car 20years ago, range 50ish miles.

Travelling to work and back going up a long steep hill brought

the range down to 7 miles with bicycles overtaking me, used to

carry a generator in the back, and an electric heater under the

batteries in the winter, electrical malfunctions finally sealed its fate.

My faithfull old Isetta bubble car wins hands down.

When I read your post I assumed G-Wiz could not be the actual name of the car and you were just having a laugh. But no, Google reveals that’s the real name!

20 years ago? I like your pioneering style!

Took a short local O&A, up to Sam Roi Yot, for a coffee & cheesecake surfside ????  Photo to P'off someone:

image.png.1e9142e750b626d94085d1ff466e1ad8.png

Some more testing of 'driver assisting' safety features since mentioned by another poster.    Took the scenic root to, and fast aggressive driving on return.  

Strangely Gmap states 10 mins longer for scenic route (dark) vs quickest.  Main difference, using hwy #4 / Phetkasem rd on return, as cutting through the park areas, really can't drive that much faster than my 60 kph cruise controlled speed to SRY.   Actually had to turn off through parts of park area as too annoying, since more than a few curves with short distances in between.

Did notice as someone stated, car in cruise control slowing down on many curves, with the slightest 'sway' of the car.  More a poor road construction than car 'fault' as curves not built for 60kph.  Since cutting through smaller towns, possibly supposed to be 30kph anyway, so maybe actually build for intended speed, though nobody would actually drive that slow.

Normal time to/from in ICE or EV would be about 1 hr from our home.  Took about 1 hr 10-15 mins with cruise control on scenic route to.   Return, no cruise control till on hwy #4, and set at 90kph.

The aggressive part, on the surf to hwy 4 stretch, drove as fast as I felt comfy doing, top speeds of 70-80kph.  Had to punch it a few times, during a few passes, on the short stretches between curves, and the electric motors/torque is impressive.  Damn sporty, and true SUV, vs the not so sporty ICE SUV acronym.  

Only surprise, 10-15 mins extra, driving 60 kph all the way, when possible, vs an hour on the return, driving 90kph when possible, which was the speed limit.   70-80kph exceeding the limit through the park area.  No need to drive like an Ahole on short trips, as you really aren't knocking much time off.   Although I would have been stuck behind a truck or 2 though the park area if not passing.  Reality, simply adding 5 more minutes overall to the 1 ish hr return drive home.

Unless open road, though still marginal time saved, so not much sense doing much more than the speed limit elsewhere in TH, with the truck traffic, intersections & traffic lights on the so called 'inter-province' roadways. 

At best doing 120kph when possible to/from Krung Thep, I've only managed to knock 1/2 hour off a 4ish hr trip.  Why bother, as safer & more relaxed simply driving the speed limit.

sry.png

Edited by KhunLA

Read your instructions / manual ... settings of car.

Amazing what you can learn & control ????  Turned off a few;

Hello & Welcome audio announcements when starting

Don't know if it will still give a weather report.

Turned off BlueTooth, as I don't use the app, although it did tell the wife the window was open.  To bad it didn't before it started raining.  Only open a wee bit to let heat out, but still dampened things a bit.

I cycle through the dash display before driving, so I'll see any low tire warning on my way to the odometer & battery/kms/time meter display.

Turned off 'lane assist' (not stability), as that is an audio and steering wheel nudge when drifting out of or near the painted road marking for your lane.

Tried to turn off 'Towing mode' as it disables PDC when on, though can't figure out what that is, aside from a parking sensor as Ms Google tells me.

Still get proximity warning around the car.  So maybe that's a sensor for the other model.

Also turned off 'traffic jam assist' as that slows the car down a bit too much, and unexpected at times.  Not sure if car will auto stop now in cruise control.  Test that later.

AC has a high-med-low setting, though I changed to all, and didn't notice any.  So left it in High.  Tried 'Auto' and didn't car for it.  Also the default is 'flow thru' instead of 'recirculate' air, as I smelled smoke the other day before I even got pass driving through it.  Adjusted that to recirculate.  Already as Air Purifier with the AC.

More than a few more, but I just left on default, or turned off if I could, as don't use media, radio and such.  Which I turned the sound off.  Unlike the ICE, the radio does not auto turn on at start up.  But I muted it anyway.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 2:57 PM, KhunLA said:

Read your instructions / manual ... settings of car.

Amazing what you can learn & control ????  Turned off a few;

Hello & Welcome audio announcements when starting

Don't know if it will still give a weather report.

Turned off BlueTooth, as I don't use the app, although it did tell the wife the window was open.  To bad it didn't before it started raining.  Only open a wee bit to let heat out, but still dampened things a bit.

I cycle through the dash display before driving, so I'll see any low tire warning on my way to the odometer & battery/kms/time meter display.

Turned off 'lane assist' (not stability), as that is an audio and steering wheel nudge when drifting out of or near the painted road marking for your lane.

Tried to turn off 'Towing mode' as it disables PDC when on, though can't figure out what that is, aside from a parking sensor as Ms Google tells me.

Still get proximity warning around the car.  So maybe that's a sensor for the other model.

Also turned off 'traffic jam assist' as that slows the car down a bit too much, and unexpected at times.  Not sure if car will auto stop now in cruise control.  Test that later.

AC has a high-med-low setting, though I changed to all, and didn't notice any.  So left it in High.  Tried 'Auto' and didn't car for it.  Also the default is 'flow thru' instead of 'recirculate' air, as I smelled smoke the other day before I even got pass driving through it.  Adjusted that to recirculate.  Already as Air Purifier with the AC.

More than a few more, but I just left on default, or turned off if I could, as don't use media, radio and such.  Which I turned the sound off.  Unlike the ICE, the radio does not auto turn on at start up.  But I muted it anyway.

PDC is normally what causes that bleep bleep bleep sound when reversing and approaching an object … turns to a continuous bleeeeeeep when you get even closer. And of course shows on your graphic amber or red.

Also will do same when eg a motorbike gets a bit close to you. 

Seems doesn’t work when you are towing ….. as your trailer would not have PDC

4 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

PDC is normally what causes that bleep bleep bleep sound when reversing and approaching an object … turns to a continuous bleeeeeeep when you get even closer. And of course shows on your graphic amber or red.

Also will do same when eg a motorbike gets a bit close to you. 

Seems doesn’t work when you are towing ….. as your trailer would not have PDC

Still get the proximity warnings when backing up ????

Did our 1st O&A overnighter.  2 nights up at Hua Hin, only 100 kms away.   Didn't drive much while there, so didn't need to top up while there.

Photo is self explanatory.  Stopped at a garden center just S of HH, so a snap of the odometer/info & again at home.

HH trip kms per kW.png

35 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

@KhunLA

Did you manage to offload your ZS ICE ?, and if you did were you relatively happy with what you got for it ?

Yes, hence the unplanned hop up to Hua Hin.   

2nd hand/ tent folks offered 350k initially, then 370k, then bidding amongst them, to 390฿.  Wasn't selling for <400k.  Keep it just for spite, besides, looked good in the carport, next to the EV ????

Wife had it listed for 439k, I posted on forums for 450k then 400k, as quick sale, buyer's market, low local population market.   Along with postings on FB Marketplace from 350k & up to silly prices.

So HH guy offered 400k to wife's listing.   ฿฿฿฿ looks better in the bank than car in the carport.   Happy with the price, considering, but not thrilled with the depreciation of the car, over 2yrs.

Paid ฿695k, so a ฿300k hit.  Guess the ฿11k appreciation of the ZS EV offsets that, when driven off the lot ????  ฿949, now worth ฿960 if totaled ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

MG ICE cars seem to depreciate a lot, their EV cars not so much.

Hope never to find out.  This is definitely, hopefully, my last car purchase, and if all goes as planned, should be my wife's last car.   If the rest of the car last as long as expect the motors  & battery to last.

The Govt incentive of 240ish k makes up for any possible 25% drive off the lot depreciation for the EV.  Anyone thinking of buying an EV ... DO IT before those incentives expire.   As 2nd hand EV prices will be a big question mark, depending how the market & tech goes.  Maybe even, good, or bad.

• 3 weeks later...

What to expect ... MG ZS  ... consistently better range than WLTP rating of 320 kms.

In ECO mode, ZS is estimating 360 @ 100%.  Popped up to Hua Hin, 99.1 kms away.

Again mixed driving w/AC on, and still showing 250 kms to go.  So 350 ish, and has been pretty consistent.

image.png.fef3bce2b1c655c6b41db2b9b0acdc37.png

image.png.f70f48749f331d2b7fd2986311f48cc9.png

Consider the WLTP rating is done at average of 47 kms, in probably prime condition, and possible no AC on.   Our driving is < 60 kph to/from Hwy #4.  60 kph when possible, and 90 kph on Hwy # 4.  60 & 90 using cruise control, and occasionally faster, passing when needed.  Caught myself doing 100+ while passing today.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

What to expect ... MG ZS  ... consistently better range than WLTP rating of 320 kms.

In ECO mode, ZS is estimating 360 @ 100%.  Popped up to Hua Hin, 99.1 kms away.

Again mixed driving w/AC on, and still showing 250 kms to go.  So 350 ish, and has been pretty consistent.

image.png.fef3bce2b1c655c6b41db2b9b0acdc37.png

image.png.f70f48749f331d2b7fd2986311f48cc9.png

Consider the WLTP rating is done at average of 47 kms, in probably prime condition, and possible no AC on.   Our driving is < 60 kph to/from Hwy #4.  60 kph when possible, and 90 kph on Hwy # 4.  60 & 90 using cruise control, and occasionally faster, passing when needed.  Caught myself doing 100+ while passing today.

The 14.8 km/kWh seems to be mislabelled (and unrealistic). From the numbers it seems to me to be more like 148 Wh/km, so 6.76 km/kWh and a total range of about 338 km.

27 minutes ago, Sophon said:

The 14.8 km/kWh seems to be mislabelled (and unrealistic). From the numbers it seems to me to be more like 148 Wh/km, so 6.76 km/kWh and a total range of about 338 km.

Yes, sometimes the numbers conflict with each other, a wee bit.

I think the ODO kms, start/used/left is more accurate.  Though the difference is only a few % off from each other.  360/350/338.

When we got back home, end of day:

2705 - 2466 = 239 w/ 93 (to go) = 332

But wife & daughter were at the Amphur office, while I sat in the car with AC on for almost an hour.

Same when in HH, at Doc's office, for at least a half hour, and the dog was in the car w/AC on.   Don't think AC uses that much though.

Just ball park numbers, but better than WLTP's 320 kms, and at speed on the highway.  So, definitely happy about that.  As really didn't expect to get near 300 kms at speed.

Gives me a real number to work with between CSs when O&A.   Though at present, I'm a wimp, for now, and try to keep 100+ kms in reserve, then top up, or whatever is needed to get to destination.  After 250 kms / 3 ish hrs, I want a break anyway.

Edited by KhunLA

Here's about as real life I can get.  Popped up to HH again, at Mazda to pick up daughters car, and did not leave AC on while at Mazda.

Google Map & MG ZS seem to agree, 234/235 kms, and about 20 mins at Mazda sounds about right.  Hwy #4/Phetkasem & 37 most of the way.

90 kph when possible, then 60 or 70, if not in traffic.

Took scenic route home along the beaches, but still 60-70-90 was easy enough to maintain.   Photo is self explanatory.

Exceeding WLTP rating of 320 kms per charge, consistently, at speeds much higher than their test speeds, w/AC, & 2 ppl/dog+

Second set of numbers (NEDC), was yesterday, my usually hop over to surfside.  25-50 kph, as actually on hwy 4, and the overpass to surf, but no real need to go speed limit, 60 kph, unless someone behind me.

That would be true knock around town numbers for us.  

Again, beating NEDC rating of 403 kms per charge.

WLTP vs NEDC.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just completed a 1,000 km journey from CM to Isaan in a PHEV. Used about 1,000 baht worth of fuel and 295 baht on charging? Could this be right? That’s what the apps tell me anyway. Would have been much much cheaper if not for the charging problems I posted in another thread. Used to cost me over 2,000 baht in my fossil car. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To add to the above post ...

... a day (or 3) in the life of your BEV battery ... ????

Using Solar, not the grid, and on granny charger, 2.3kW hr vs 7.4kW for wall charger on grid.

On return home from Chumphon, arrive 1300 ish hrs, let things cool down a bit while unpacking (3 night trip turned into 1), along with quick munch.   Plug in, Day 1, before 2pm.  Start off around 38% end at 43% if memory serves ... BUT, out for dinner and a drive.

image.png.c8320ac8489a261ef1e4157482ecd8ed.png

Use a few kW s, so almost back to square one.  Wake up, Day 2, at sunrise, just before actually, check ESSs, plug in, before any solar production.  Unplug after a bit, wait for production to surpass consumption, or close enough, plug back in.

image.png.f22f8d3d24c2f1e0036aaa8c257eedcd.png

Unplug, go run some chores, heavy overcast & high temps, cook dinner (electric oven) & ACs.  Weather iffy tomorrow, so wait & see.

Wake up, Day 3, all good, looks like partly sunny day, plug in at sunrise, again, just before.  Unplug, wife off to market, return, solar production more than consumption, plug back in, and take it up to 87%, more than my usual 80% top up, as know we're going out to dinner later, and wife to morning market tomorrow.  Besides, sun not cooperating, and still want to bake bread. Production barely matching consumption in late afternoon.

image.png.59b1ca9f70f3472291c4855c07b46886.png

After dinner & tomorrow's (today) market run, and we'll be over 80% till next plug in, at around 60%, which won't be for a few days, as now the weekend, and we don't do weekends.  If so, we'll take the scooter, maybe to surfside, weekend night market, as no parking for cars if not very early.  Wife already went to morning market again, today.

Using solar ... of course I could not be a CC, and simply plug in the wall charger/grid.  But that would mean giving PEA all of ฿100 and defeat the whole purpose of having solar.  Besides, faster charging is more stress on EV batteries.  Take care of them, and they will take care of you.

If sun in full cooperation, and not going anywhere, could top up 40-80% in 1 day, as 40% = 20kW = 8.72 hrs @ 2.3kW per hr, (2.7hr @ 7.4kW).  Quite easy, though we usual stay in 60-80% range, unless I know we're going to use right away.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

OR ... could have simply popped into the local MG dealer, few kms from the house, since on the way, no detour involved, and topped up there, 45 ish % at all of about ฿175 (outrageous) in 30 mins, while snacking on krappy sugar treats, actually the Pandan & chocolate thingys aren't bad, and washed down with a few cups of coffee, in AC, using their internet, while typing the Chumphon post up, and might even be done by the time the car charging was ????

Options abound ????

34 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Besides, faster charging is more stress on EV batteries.  Take care of them, and they will take care of you.

I wouldn't worry too much about charging at 7Kw, the charging current is a lot less than the discharge current driving the car.

I plugged my car in to charge this morning at 8:00am and I am charging at 24amp (5.3Kw) and it will have gone from 26% to the target charge of 80% at 17:20.  It's a nice sunny day here and I have 3 of 6Kw grid-tied inverters charging the car and running the house, current solar output at 10:43am is 12Kw.

If I charge at 7kw (32 amps), my Hybrid inverters used as whole house UPS crash & restart when charging finishes and my AVR breaker trips if a cloud passes the sun.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I am charging at 24amp (5.3Kw) and it will have gone from 26% to the target charge of 80% at 17:20. 

If I may, what 'plug' ???? are you using, as saw too many to chose from online.  Priced from 'too good to be true' to 'are you nuts'.  LAZ having more than few.

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

If I may, what 'plug' ???? are you using, as saw too many to chose from online.  Priced from 'too good to be true' to 'are you nuts'.  LAZ having more than few.

I bought 2 of these, Electric Vehicle Ev Charger Type 2 32 Amp Portable Evse, Cee Plug 220v-240v Car Charging Cable, Iec 62196-2,j1772 - Battery Cables & Connectors - AliExpress

Has a 32 amp Blue industrial plug on it, switchable 10, 15, 24 & 32 amp

• Thanks 2

Ordered and paid a deposit on an MG4 (extended range) which I'm hoping to see in February and now planning the solar setup to support it (and possibly another BEV in due course) as well as run the house for about 8 hours in the evening and send any surplus back to the grid.  Am I right in thinking that this requires what is termed a Hybrid system here in Thailand?

I've been an EV enthusiast for some time but not yet got to grips sufficiently with solar so any advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by Greenside
pedantic grammar correction...