EV Owners … Real life experience & help thread

KhunLA

11 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

This cafe is good, can vouch for that.

How much does it cost to rapid charge at an MG showroom?

~฿8 per kWh

Glad you liked Garage Café, as it just happen to be at the right distance and near the U-turn on the return leg.  Pleasantly surprised as we didn't expect much.  More simply convenient w/decent reviews, thankfully accurate good reviews.  Would definitely pop in again.

Edited by KhunLA

How much energy does an EV (MG ZS) use at idle, using full electronics with AC on high fan ?  

Dog was chillin' while we enjoyed our Swensens fix., using approximately 1% = 3 kms worth.

If 'camping' in the car, for AC comfort, 2% per hour, for 8-12 hrs, and all of 16-24% of battery used.

46.3kWh (usable) of 50.3kWh of battery

X 25% = 11.575 X ฿8 = ฿93

< ฿100 for room in the middle of nowhere, in a pinch ????

346108991_1459967631205454_392130150105508346_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Wifey is due to take delivery of her Neta V sometime next month and is interested in charging it at home under an array of solar panels. We have a very large garden so space is not an issue.

Before I go along to our local solar supplier does anyone have any pics of their own setup of similar or of a schematic of the requirements of a basic system.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Wifey is due to take delivery of her Neta V sometime next month and is interested in charging it at home under an array of solar panels. We have a very large garden so space is not an issue.

Before I go along to our local solar supplier does anyone have any pics of their own setup of similar or of a schematic of the requirements of a basic system.

Thanks for reading.

Tough call, especially for ROI, if just for car.   Depend which method charging, plug in / granny / emergency cord/charger, or Neta installed wall charger.

Patience level, charging daytime (sunny, hopefully) or overnight on grid.

Wall charger will need a larger system to maximize 7.4kWh.   Can't see practical ROI if just for car.

Plug in (emergency cord) much less needed, 2.3kW (?), and smaller solar array/cost.

More qualified folks on the forum for deeper breakdown, how to, ROI, and DIY.   One dedicated thread for: 'How about a solar car port on a budget?'

https://aseannow.com/topic/1120934-how-about-a-solar-car-port-on-a-budget/

Neta V battery -  38.5 kWh (usable 35.4 kWh

Charging options:

image.png.3c4a0b0247eab57c4fe56eb4841007b8.png

https://www.ananindustry.com/neta-v-2022.html

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Tough call, especially for ROI, if just for car.   Depend which method charging, plug in / granny / emergency cord/charger, or Neta installed wall charger.

Patience level, charging daytime (sunny, hopefully) or overnight on grid.

Wall charger will need a larger system to maximize 7.4kWh.   Can't see practical ROI if just for car.

Plug in (emergency cord) much less needed, 2.3kW (?), and smaller solar array/cost.

More qualified folks on the forum for deeper breakdown, how to, ROI, and DIY.   One dedicated thread for: 'How about a solar car port on a budget?'

https://aseannow.com/topic/1120934-how-about-a-solar-car-port-on-a-budget/

Neta V battery -  38.5 kWh (usable 35.4 kWh

Charging options:

image.png.3c4a0b0247eab57c4fe56eb4841007b8.png

https://www.ananindustry.com/neta-v-2022.html

Thanks very much for the reply, very interesting reading. 

14 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Thanks very much for the reply, very interesting reading. 

Operating cost, (MG ZS) using most expensive (grid), is:

<฿230 @ ฿5 / kWh for 360 kms per full charge

vs ฿900 @ ฿35/L for petrol version, same 360 kms

True #s, as I own/owned both versions, EV/ICE

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Operating cost, (MG ZS) using most expensive (grid), is:

<฿230 @ ฿5 / kWh for 360 kms per full charge

vs ฿900 @ ฿35/L for petrol version, same 360 kms

True #s, as I own/owned both versions, EV/ICE

The average for my Triton is exactly the same, 2.5 bht per km. Less than 1 bht per km is very attractive especially as we're doing 120 kms a day on the school run...... roll-on delivery next month.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, edwinchester said:

The average for my Triton is exactly the same, 2.5 bht per km. Less than 1 bht per km is very attractive especially as we're doing 120 kms a day on the school run...... roll-on delivery next month.

If you are doing 120 km per day, I strongly recommend looking into getting a TOU meter for off peak overnight charging. You will need to be charging every night. Solar will not suit your purpose so well.

• Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

If you are doing 120 km per day, I strongly recommend looking into getting a TOU meter for off peak overnight charging. You will need to be charging every night. Solar will not suit your purpose so well.

Yes, I suggested to wifey that we pop along to our local PEA and request an off peak meter too.

The plan is to try and eventually run the whole house from solar and batteries, a setup for the car as a first step......but now you've got me thinking 555.

15 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Yes, I suggested to wifey that we pop along to our local PEA and request an off peak meter too.

The plan is to try and eventually run the whole house from solar and batteries, a setup for the car as a first step......but now you've got me thinking 555.

If driving that many kms every day, you're going to need to charge up via the grid, or your solar system is really going to be expensive.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Took the MG ZS EV in for 10k kms check up (free), and was done before I was done the coffee in the break room ????

Wife looking at 'inspection schedule' nothing but 'I'/inspect inspect inspect.  Asked when is the first 'R' ...

... 30k kms, replace AC filter ????

Do have one complaint though, and didn't notice when entering the MG dealer.   They moved the cappuccino machine out into the showroom.  Along with much better un-packaged treats; brownies, cupcakes & pastry.  Only noticed since I browsed the showroom before leaving.  Anyone ready to buy, really needs to pop into a MG dealer, some damn fine offerings.

The one gal did bring me in some pastry (damn tasty) without asking.  Yes, I'm that handsome.

Only thing in the breakroom was Nescafe instant ... vile stuff & packaged sugar thingys.  Along with water, sugar drinks & noodles, for those wanting a snack, while waiting for their ICEs to get serviced. 

Good thing I brought Moccona with me, as been in so many MG breakrooms, I forget which ones have machines or provide non-Nescafe instant.   Got to be prepared for the worst case scenarios in life.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Quick note, using the MG ZS ...

... IF on one of them lovely mountain/hilly, winding roads, turn the cruise control OFF.

You'll regen a lot more energy back to the battery.  While cruising through the winding hills of Khao Kho last week, I notice we were using 5kWh/100kms.  Pretty cool, and just about triples your range if living there.

image.png.63057fc4decbc92ece118a2067a35eb3.png

On the flip side of that, leaving Bo Kluea to Pua, on a flat area, had cruise control on, then while on the hills, up, down and around, noticed we were using 30kWh/100kms ... WTF.   Turned cruise control off, and what a difference.

At time I noticed and disengaged, had 51% battery and estimated 148 kms of range left.  When off the hills and on the flats to Pua, had 58% & 165 kms of range left.  Could almost see both adding up while driving.

Some impressive tech, and worth every baht over an ICEV priced version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More accurate km/kWh range, for our local driving.   Just got back from our almost daily, normal loop, dog & myself.  Home-park-surfside-home.

Since not using hwy#4, speeds <50 & >60, about half & half, as still need to use hwy#316, which is 2-4-5-6 lane, depending where & parking.  2 lane on RR overpass, and if not doing at least 60, I'll have a line of traffic behind me.

12.3kWh/100kms = 376kms per full charge (46.3 ÷ 12.3 X 100).   I always use numbers on the negative side for EV, and positive side for ICEV, knowing anti EV'ers will nit pick my #s.  Obviously petrol isn't ฿37/L, which I use as reference.

image.png.2bbfdb7ccd5c9feeed4c360cf63b27d4.png

Everything we need for daily living is within that loop, Makro, 7-11, fresh market, restaurants.

image.png.0743cece219a68d46c2085edb94a51e1.png

• Thanks 1

Cost of 9 month of EV driving, while having solar for that whole time.  MG ZS EV, using previously owned MG ZS ICE, (14kp/L using 91) for cost comparison.

Actually savings for us, using our Solar for local driving and CSs while O&A

Using Petrol price of ฿38.08 / L

Using CS price of 7.5kWh

9 month total ... 14.5 kms

Local ... 10k kms ... ฿0

O&A ... 4.5k kms ... ฿4,883

IF using Petrol cost ... ฿39,440 - 4,883 =

฿34,557  Saved

Savings if not having solar, are still impressive.

Local driving of 14.5k kms @ ฿4kWh = ฿7460 vs ฿39,440.

฿32,000 / ฿3,500 a month saved, that's a lot of beer.

While O&A, never a problem find a CS.

Never a Q at a charging station, though we try to avoid weekend long drives.   The few that we've done, and no problems, no Qs.

An added plus of having a MG, is using their CS network, limited to MG card members only.  All CSs, MG Super Chargers, or PEA (our other preference) have been conveniently located along our routes.  No searching necessary.

Using their apps, PlugShare site or Charge Loma app provides plenty of almost up to date info.   Even Gmaps is starting to show way more CS than just a month ago.

One service check up @ 10k kms, free, and was literally done, before I finished my coffee in the waiting room.  Dealer dependent on wait time.

HAPPY TRAVELS

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Real life driving ... Muang, PKK - Hua Hin - PKK

MG ZS EV 2022 - WLTP range rating 320 kms

per full charge (test speed - 47 kph)

Real life, mixed highway driving - 323 kms

Total (one way) 91.8 kms (using AC & cruise control)

3 kms <50kph

65 kms - 90 kph

23.8 kms - 70-80 kph

While there, dog sat in car for 2 hr 14 mins

Using 4 % approx. 15 kms worth

While car on 'full power'

91.8 X 2 (round trip) = 183.6 kms

Our cost, using excess Solar -0-

PEA @ ฿4.25 kWh = <฿0.61 per km

EV cost 183.6 kms = ฿112

MG ZS ICE (2020) 14kms/L

PTT 91 @ ฿39.54/L = ฿2.82 per km

ICEV cost 183.6 kms = ฿518

1.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Real life driving ... Muang, PKK - Hua Hin - PKK

MG ZS EV 2022 - WLTP range rating 320 kms

per full charge (test speed - 47 kph)

Real life, mixed highway driving - 323 kms

Total (one way) 91.8 kms (using AC & cruise control)

3 kms <50kph

65 kms - 90 kph

23.8 kms - 70-80 kph

While there, dog sat in car for 2 hr 14 mins

Using 4 % approx. 15 kms worth

While car on 'full power'

91.8 X 2 (round trip) = 183.6 kms

Our cost, using excess Solar -0-

PEA @ ฿4.25 kWh = <฿0.61 per km

EV cost 183.6 kms = ฿112

MG ZS ICE (2020) 14kms/L

PTT 91 @ ฿39.54/L = ฿2.82 per km

ICEV cost 183.6 kms = ฿518

1.jpg

Plugged in this AM, @ 38% after yesterday's total driving to Hua Hin & abouts.

Using solar, and that will take about 13 hrs to top up, so 2 days.  Not an issue for us, as have E-MB to use, which I do anyway, usually for my daily park/surfside cruises.

Could always just plug into the grid, using the free, installed wall charger/cable that came with the MG.

That PEA rate for us is about ฿3.5kWh, since we don't use much, if at all.  Would only take 4 hrs.  If in hurry, 3 CS within 5 kms of us, if wanting to top up in <1 hr @ ฿7.5 kWh.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hopped up to Hua Hin again, no surprises.

A few more kilometers a few more stop and go and a little bit more regen to battery.

Adding a few kilometers range per charge 326 instead of 323.

Quite consistent range, anywhere between 320 and 360 kms is our average per charge.

IMG_20230821_124419.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 2:20 PM, edwinchester said:

You must have same sort of school run as me as Daughter's  school is 30kms away so 120kms a day . I'm looking at buying a hybrid  because at least have security  of a petrol engine don't  think Thailand  is ready for electric  cars just yet ( out in the villages where I am anyway )

1 hour ago, thaiscot said:

You must have same sort of school run as me as Daughter's  school is 30kms away so 120kms a day . I'm looking at buying a hybrid  because at least have security  of a petrol engine don't  think Thailand  is ready for electric  cars just yet ( out in the villages where I am anyway )

why do you want to buy a hybrid? do you regularly do long daily road trips (300+ km) without breaks?

electric cars aren't suitable for everyone. electric cars have many pros and also some cons.

everyone should inform themselves to get basic knowledge before buying an electric car.

from how you describe your situation, a battery electric vehicle (BEV) seems to be a perfect fit.

assuming you live in a house and can have a wall box installed, your house (out in the village)

will be ready for to charge your own BEV in half a day! (no nearby charging station is needed.)

member "edwinchester" is a great example using an electric car ...

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, thaiscot said:

The nearest charging point I would ever need is about 150km away, actually there are lots nearby but I will never use them.

I charge at home, if I were to travel somewhere 200km away, I might want to charge on the way back somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

My usual morning cruise, from 8-15kms, with a couple on hwy 4.   Consistently get about 360kms per charge around town.  Beating the WLTP rating of 320, which is about what we get at highway speeds of 90kph.

46.3kWh ÷ 12.7/100kms = 3.64 X 100 = 364 kms per charge

373457884_6637911822914534_8488677721578351900_n.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Rare, but apparently happens. Beating the NEDC (Not Even Damn Close) range rating for our EV of 403 kms.

Strange, as I drove a bit faster than usual, due to impending rain, and wanted to get to surf sooner. Besides some A-hole tailgating me over the RR overpass. Hit 74 kph, which made me think and look at the gauge. Actually thought I misread it.

Short trip involved 2 quick red lights, and a U-turn, longer than the 2 traffic lights, so idle for about 1 min of the 8.  So average speed actually a bit higher than NEDC's test speed of 37 kph.

11.3 kms per 100 kms equates to 409 kms per full charge????

NEDC.jpg

• Love It 1

Charging time, and this will very, different cars, chargers/cable, and supply.

Also if car off, or if sitting in with AC and or lights on.  The top half, slower part, 80% - 100% has topped up before 15-20 mins, when we're not in it.

charging time.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

Paying a bit more attention, too much actually, but noticed once over 85%, then it's about 1% added, every minute, then at 90%, that time increases, till about 95%.   Then it's 2 minutes per %, till 98%, then it way too long, as the MG ZS stated, another 20 minutes till topped & cells balanced.  Needless to say, we didn't wait.

• Thanks 1