EV Owners … Real life experience & help thread

KhunLA

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Not sure where the 342 kms comes from.

This is the predicted remaining range based on your recent driving.

Sometimes called the GOM - Guess-O-Meter.

You’ll notice it will change if you change your KERS settings or turn off/on your AC.

Edited by macahoom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, macahoom said:

You’ll notice it will change if you change your KERS settings or turn off/on your AC.

Sorry, I made a mistake above. It should read:

You’ll notice it will change if you change your Mode settings or turn off/on your AC.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, zoolander said:

The Mrs picked up our MG EP today and it came with a wire to charge at home. We are waiting for them to fit the fast charger.

Can I ask what app do you use for the car...thanks

Out of interest did you have to wait long once you placed order and did you go for MG EP or the MG EP+ model

Question for the guys with Solar

we are in the process of having our DAY time usage covered by Solar as an ESS is not in the planning yet, but I am really thinking hard of getting an EV because 90% of our trips are in the range of 10km - 150km (round trips that is) which would be perfectly suitable for an EV.

When we get the EV we will be granny charging the car (day time only powered by Solar) as the trips are not that frequent.

Do you guys think this is a workable solution?

I was thinking about the Ora Good Cat, but only because my Wife likes the Color ????, love the MG that @KhunLA has but the range is just a bit too low for us (but a big plus for it is that MG is only 20kms away from us), and my personal favourite that BYD Atto 3.

(This colour I mean the wife loves ???? )

spacer.png

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, MJCM said:

we are in the process of having our DAY time usage covered by Solar as an ESS is not in the planning yet, but I am really thinking hard of getting an EV because 90% of our trips are in the range of 10km - 150km (round trips that is) which would be perfectly suitable for an EV.

When we get the EV we will be granny charging the car (day time only powered by Solar) as the trips are not that frequent.

Do you guys think this is a workable solution?

I was thinking about the Ora Good Cat, but only because my Wife likes the Color ????, love the MG that @KhunLA has but the range is just a bit too low for us (but a big plus for it is that MG is only 20kms away from us), and my personal favourite that BYD Atto 3.

(This colour I mean the wife loves ???? )

spacer.png

I plan on doing the exact same, use the granny charger, as slower is always better on the battery.  Only using 2.3kW while charging, leaves plenty for the rest of the house.  Using 8kW inverter vs 5kW, but still, leaves 2kW for the house on a 5kW system.  Unless running the AC and taking a hot shower or cooking with a 2000w appliance, should be enough.

This is my daily run (yellow blocked), with dog to the park, and making sure surf is still there.  Usually on the e-motorcycle, but took the MG yesterday, for my unusual longer surfside cruise after the park run.

image.png.1fe28a67f4fb6833ddbdcdd90571e1c4.png

Couple hours of decent sunlight, and that would cover our 12 km daily run, using the MG.  We charged up 29% (14.5kW) the other day, with granny charger, from 0800-1600hrs. 

All things being equal, 29% of 320 kms (WLTP's rating) = 92.8 kms

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @KhunLA

Our On-Grid inverter will be a 5kW one which will cover our day time usage and as we don't use a lot of energy during the day it's majority task is exporting and thus with this excess I could easily charge the EV at the same cost.

No worries from us when (suppose) the EV only charges 10km as

1- We would still have an ICE Pickup as a backup

2- Trips are not that frequent

Thx again

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

All things being equal, 29% of 320 kms (WLTP's rating) = 92.8 kms

That is absolutely in the range of our most frequent trips (wifey going back to the OLD house to be with a her Father (40km round trip but only would use 1 kW (joking) as she only drives at a max speed of 50 :whistling:

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

it's majority task is exporting and thus with this excess I could easily charge the EV at the same cost.

No worries from us when (suppose) the EV only charges 10km as

With that in mind, it doesn't matter, as I was thinking, charging daytime, while home.  If you're putting 15-20 back in the grid everyday, than you'll have no problems or noticeable cost adding the EV to you monthly bill.

Happy Travels.

Real Life ... knock around town range test.

WLTP rating @47 kph = 320 kms X 25% = 80 kms

Testing level track, no AC, no stop & go.

Our 25% battery use @ 40-60 kph, with a very short

travel on hwy 4 @ < 90 kph.

Testing non level, AC use along with stop & go.

MG ZS managed 81 kms using 25% of battery.

image.png.51d6e0382bec8b4b45ed1bbd69d3e622.png

With MG's estimate of 253/4 to go, for possible 334 vs 320

image.png.1b636347a74c5378480373e117e3b37e.png

Kudos to WLTP & MG for providing accurate info.

Truth in marketing is refreshing.

Even better, the very impressive over the road range posted earlier.

240 kms (80%) + 60 kms (20%) remaining for 300 kms range at an almost constant 90 kph.

So on the road, we'll top up around the 200 kms mark.  About 3 hrs of driving and we'll need a break by then.  Depending how far further down the road, simple top up to get there, or full up with some leg stretching and a munch.

Already plotted a course to Krung Thep for daughter visits.  About the 200 kms mark, a few CSs there, for short or full top up.  Where we stay, there's an MG dealer a few kms away.  So a short or full top up there while chillin' in the break room.

Impressions so far, very happy with the MG ZS ????????

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, MJCM said:

Solar powers all my in province driving. I like to recharge my home batteries first then charge the car.

In the middle of the day the solar system is making the most power. I would recommend a 7kW wall charger so you get as much of the peak solar into the car as quickly as possible. You don’t want any solar production curtailed as you can’t get it into the car quick enough. 

Edited by Bandersnatch

17 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

In the middle of the day the solar system is making the most power. I would recommend a 7kW wall charger so you get as much of the peak solar into the car as quickly as possible. You don’t want any solar production curtailed as you can’t get it into the car quick enough. 

I am only going with Granny Charging as we

A) Don't drive a lot

B) don't drive that frequent

And the Solar we are in the process of installing is just a 5kW ON-Grid Inverter with NO ESS connection, and thus is only used for our DAY-Time Usage like charging the EV via Granny Charging when there is excess (and that is most of the time)

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, KhunLA said:

I don't think so.  I draws 2.3kW according to chart posted earlier.

So it would take almost half of our 5kW Inverter. Guess I need to increase panels, was thinking of only 10 (11 is max for the MPPT) but it has 2 MPPT's.

Discovered the 'Mode' button, and right next to the 'KERS' button ... go figure ... yea, I'm a little slow sometimes.   Normal is the default on start.

Eco vs Sport, and you can squeeze another 17% out of your charge/range???? 

image.png.1335178680514a96c81fc4d5090f15f7.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Any idea what Eco turns off so that you get more range? I sincerely do hope not the aircon :whistling:

"There are 3 driving modes to choose from and unlike some other cars, these aren't gimmicky. They're mapped specifically for different driving styles.

• Normal Mode: The default mode. The car always restarts in this mode, no matter what mode you last drove in. It's great for driving in the city as well as on the highway. Strikes a good balance between power and economy.

• Eco Mode: The mode to engage when you want the maximum range. Throttle response is dumbed down, which actually results in a smoother drive in the city (less of that "torque-pull" effect). Power comes in more gradually when you ask for it. However, even in this mode, the motor does not feel dull to drive. There's enough grunt for day-to-day driving and overtaking. The performance of the air-con, however, drops noticeably in this mode.

• Sport Mode: The mode when you really want to have fun. While Normal mode will keep you entertained 90% of the time, Sport mode is for the remaining 10%. The accelerator response is even sharper and the car just feels more eager to pounce. However, it can feel too peaky for city driving and also eats up the battery faster. Use "Sport" when you're looking for fun on expressway runs."

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/2022-mg-zs-ev-facelift-observations-after-4-days-driving#:~:text=Eco Mode%3A

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, MJCM said:

^Nice

Any idea what Eco turns off so that you get more range? I sincerely do hope not the aircon :whistling:

There are three modes: Eco/Normal/Sport.

Sport has the most responsive accelerator pedal,  Eco the least. So it, supposedly, makes you drive less aggressively and therefore save battery.

I believe the Aircon is supposed to be not as cool on Eco, but I have never noticed any difference.

Edited by macahoom
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

• Sport Mode: The mode when you really want to have fun.

In my experience, there’s no difference in power between flooring it in Eco or Sport modes.

Both accelerate at the same rate. The difference is the response is more smooth in Eco.

Note: my car is the older model and things could be different in the latest, although I doubt it.

• Thumbs Up 1

A slight off topic question with your permission @KhunLA , as this topic is attracting mainly MG owners i would like to take the opportunity to ask:

As far as I am aware the radio on an MG ( and possibly GWM also ) starts automatically with the car .

On my ZS (ICE ) If you wait until the info screen loads and the radio comes on all is good. If , like me, you are impatient and select reverse before the radio has started it comes on at full volume ( ear splittingly loud and the 1st time i jolted my neck ) and can only be stopped by deselecting reverse ( volume buttons and the screen are overridden ).

Of course waiting for the screen to load and radio starts ( at normal volume ) is the answer but I am curious if any MG owner ( ICE or EV ) has experienced this.

The dealership deny hearing of this before but I have my doubts.

TIA 

17 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

A slight off topic question with your permission @KhunLA , as this topic is attracting mainly MG owners i would like to take the opportunity to ask:

As far as I am aware the radio on an MG ( and possibly GWM also ) starts automatically with the car .

On my ZS (ICE ) If you wait until the info screen loads and the radio comes on all is good. If , like me, you are impatient and select reverse before the radio has started it comes on at full volume ( ear splittingly loud and the 1st time i jolted my neck ) and can only be stopped by deselecting reverse ( volume buttons and the screen are overridden ).

Of course waiting for the screen to load and radio starts ( at normal volume ) is the answer but I am curious if any MG owner ( ICE or EV ) has experienced this.

The dealership deny hearing of this before but I have my doubts.

TIA 

Yes, one annoyance of the 'ICE' app I didn't care for, as I don't listen to the radio, although the wife does, when I'm not in the car.

I've muted the sound, that helps sometimes, but eventually it will come back on by itself.

EV version seems to have fixed that annoyance.  Although, it seems to update me on the weather every time it starts.  Need to go into settings, see if I can change that. 

Other settings need to be set, before turning off, as you, I put it in reverse, ASAP, when needed, blocking any adjustments when done so.  AC always on high when turning off, so on high when started.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes. My 2019 MGZS EV does exactly what you describe.

It's a common complaint, but a minor annoyance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, macahoom said:

Yes. My 2019 MGZS EV does exactly what you describe.

It's a common complaint, but a minor annoyance.

May I ask, how does it then behave when you have a BT connection to your Phone because that is how I listen to Music?

Should one wait as well to start the car after the Screen loads, in our current car (ICE and not MG), I get in the car, start the Engine, buckle up and after a couple of secs the music starts playing at the same level as when I last listened to it.

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

Should one wait as well to start the car after the Screen loads, in our current car (ICE and not MG), I get in the car, start the Engine, buckle up and after a couple of secs the music starts playing at the same level as when I last listened to it.

I'm not sure if you're asking a question here. But in my car, when I power it up, the radio plays at the same volume I left it at, if that helps.

Edited by macahoom