Chiang Mai nightlife

heybruce

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

Having lived in Chiang Mai for 12 years I know that there were some excellent places for food, beer, eye candy, and a relaxed, fun atmosphere.  Great places to go with friends or solo.  Nimmanhamin used to have several such places, now they're gone.  I have faith that such places are still out there, I just need to find them.

I've been to Bangkok, and it only takes a few days for the crowds, noise, pollution, etc. to get to me.  There is a reason people who live in Chiang Mai don't choose to live in Bangkok.  When the CMU students I taught graduated they all tried to find a job anywhere but Bangkok.

My Bar

Paradise Bar

Go look

8 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

I have a gf. She is cute. Im not desperate like you appear to be. If you lived in CM for 12 years and cannot find a gf or a decent bar maybe go look. I could find one in 7 days.

Good for you, and good luck to her.

I've actively avoided serious relationships, I find them stifling.  However I like to make friends, go out and have fun.  Is that difficult to understand?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

My Bar

Paradise Bar

Go look

My Bar looks like a backpacker bar; not what I'm looking for.

I've done a quick walk down Loi Kroh since I've returned, I didn't notice Paradise Bar but didn't see any bars that looked promising.  I explained early in this topic, I'm not looking for a hooker bar.

11 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I've done a quick walk down Loi Kroh since I've returned, I didn't notice Paradise Bar but didn't see any bars that looked promising.  I explained early in this topic, I'm not looking for a hooker bar.

No gf

No hookers

Join a chess club

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Do you often manage to get freebies ?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

He only wants a friend.

I can imagine her disappointment when he says to her "No you cannot come and stay in my place tonight  , what kind of man do you think I am , I just want to be friends" "Do you think that I am the type of guy that goes to student bars to pick them up"  "Go back to your Mothers house?

49 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

No gf

No hookers

Join a chess club

40 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Do you often manage to get freebies ?

36 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

He only wants a friend.

25 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I can imagine her disappointment when he says to her "No you cannot come and stay in my place tonight  , what kind of man do you think I am , I just want to be friends" "Do you think that I am the type of guy that goes to student bars to pick them up"  "Go back to your Mothers house?

I was correct:  Judgmental curmudgeons who really resent other people enjoying life.  Very small minded, unimaginative curmudgeons at that.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I was just wondering why you want to hang round with young students and also going to the same bars which they go to .

You are looking for bars where young people go, that is the topic of this tread .

What exactly are you looking for ?

Could be it makes him feel younger. Nothing wrong with that. I have visited many years later my University and old places I hung out at and it gives a nice feeling. Same with houses I grew up in.

It's about hanging onto memories mostly, you can't really relive it because you have changed, but it feels good to be there again. Hard to understand if your not over 50.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

What about if she asked to go and sleep in your place , would you refuse or accept the request ?

Pretty young things are no more likely to be giving it away with old farangs than any hooker on Walking Street. They have no problem catching a virile young man that speaks their own language if they want a leg over.

35 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Could be it makes him feel younger. Nothing wrong with that. I have visited many years later my University and old places I hung out at and it gives a nice feeling. Same with houses I grew up in.

It's about hanging onto memories mostly, you can't really relive it because you have changed, but it feels good to be there again. Hard to understand if your not over 50.

Its about older men still living their teenage years , going down the disco and "pulling" a hotie .

Still behaving like a teenager and to do so, put themselves in a teenage environment 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Its about older men still living their teenage years , going down the disco and "pulling" a hotie .

Still behaving like a teenager and to do so, put themselves in a teenage environment 

You've already confirmed you are a judgmental curmudgeon, you don't need to hammer the point home by displaying your tiny-minded stereotypes.   ????

16 minutes ago, heybruce said:

You've already confirmed you are a judgmental curmudgeon, you don't need to hammer the point home by displaying your tiny-minded stereotypes.   ????

Do Universities mind if the Teachers and Pupils go out together to Nightclubs in the evening after lessons ?

Is it frowned upon or is no one bothered ?

14 minutes ago, Barley said:

Even for ThaiVisa this a pretty creepy post-halloween thread.

It wasn't meant to be.  However there are some posters who can't accept that there is more to Thai nightlife than hooker bars, and not every evening out is in search of sex.

Edited by heybruce
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Do Universities mind if the Teachers and Pupils go out together to Nightclubs in the evening after lessons ?

Is it frowned upon or is no one bothered ?

Most don't mind.  I don't know about the religious universities.

I don't know if all universities restrict sexual/romantic relationships between professors and students, but even if technically allowed it is unprofessional and I've never engaged in that kind of activity.  However strictly social outings of professors and students are allowed and sometimes arranged by the universities.

I assume there are no restrictions between professors and former students, but I've never done that either.  I've remained friends with some of my former students.  The weekend before last I went to the wedding of one former student; I was honored to be one of only two foreign guests invited among the hundreds of Thais.

Your comments and assumptions say a lot about you; you can not conceive of nightlife being about anything but sex or that foreigners and Thais can become friends.  You really need to broaden your horizons.

Edited by heybruce

15 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Your comments and assumptions say a lot about you; you can not conceive of nightlife being about anything but sex or that foreigners and Thais can become friends.  You really need to broaden your horizons.

If you are so good at making friends, why are you asking me and others where you can go and meet people ?

Haven't you got a bunch of friends who you can be going out with ? 

The freinds who you have met previously at bars and things ?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

If you are so good at making friends, why are you asking me and others where you can go and meet people ?

Haven't you got a bunch of friends who you can be going out with ? 

The freinds who you have met previously at bars and things ?

Try going to the start of this topic, reading what I posted as an introduction, and either making on-topic posts or no posts at all.

As mentioned earlier, I've been gone for a few years.  Some of the old friends are married and settled, others are working in other cities.  I'm only here for a few more weeks, and I thought I'd use this forum for one of its intended purposes; asking questions about life in Chiang Mai.

Unfortunately some posters see this forum as a platform for making ignorant comments about others.

BTW:  I met most of these friends at CMU, not "bars and things".  Once again, you really need to broaden your horizons.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, heybruce said:

Your posts make you seem like judgmental curmudgeons that resent anyone enjoying life.  Is that a fair description of you?

I see that internet access and speed have improved a lot under his bridge !!!

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

One of my best male buddies is basically a early 20’s guy, even though he is currently in his 70’s. He has always been that way and appears adjusted at least outwardly.

No kids, never married, single, still drinking rum & cokes. His primary social circle is guys in their 20’s-30’s. He has no desire (or need) to grow up and act mature. Some guys are just like that. I think Thailand attracts these kinds of guys.

If you were to argue a point with him about not growing up you would lose every time. The only “tell” is when he is sitting there by the pool or in a bar with a bunch of younger guys and how weird it looks, although he would never see it.

Edited by JimTripper

6 hours ago, DezLez said:

Some night life the posters on this page are having; They started bickering after midnight and went on till about 4AM local time(CM).  Are any of you actually in CM?

I am.  After a late Tuesday night at the river and closing a friend's bar (it closed somewhat later than usual) I decided to take a night off.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, JimTripper said:

One of my best male buddies is basically a early 20’s guy, even though he is currently in his 70’s. He has always been that way and appears adjusted at least outwardly.

No kids, never married, single, still drinking rum & cokes. His primary social circle is guys in their 20’s-30’s. He has no desire (or need) to grow up and act mature. Some guys are just like that. I think Thailand attracts these kinds of guys.

If you were to argue a point with him about not growing up you would lose every time. The only “tell” is when he is sitting there by the pool or in a bar with a bunch of younger guys and how weird it looks, although he would never see it.

Good for him.  I'm about a decade behind him, prefer beer to rum, and most of my Thai friends are women.  That was luck; I met them while giving English conversation practice at CMU, where there are slightly more female students than male, and the women seemed more interested in learning English.

The wedding I went to at the end of October was for a former CMU student who has a masters in economics and a good government job.  My first Thai wedding was also for a former student who has a masters in engineering and is rising up management at a Pandora jewelry factory.  The unofficial leader of the group of students I used to teach is doing post-doctoral work in South Korea.

I suspect the posters who assume that nightlife is all about hooker bars don't know Thai people like these.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 11:07 PM, heybruce said:

I know that is an option, and I don't rule it out.

However I'm looking for the kind of random good times that come from going out with no specific plans for a bit of carousing.  I'm looking for some good places to do that.  And, as you might have guessed, I'm too old for carousing in Warm Up or the Zoe complex.

Let's be realistic. If we're 50 or 60 we're not going to get or even like "nightlife" anywhere in the world, unless we are prepared to pay the premium that provides that specific blend of our era music, live or otherwise, with our cultural background TV channels, and with attentive exotic women in thier twenties. 

The alternative is to get your Thai wife/LTR to take you out with her own group of friends to venues such as White House on the Ping River.

Which is a great night out, as it's a venue that does nothing but Classic Thai Rock. The craic there is strong, but don't expect to meet anyone new, much less anyone under 30. You have to BYO company. 

Edited by chalawaan
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Let's be realistic. If we're 50 or 60 we're not going to get or even like "nightlife" anywhere in the world, unless we are prepared to pay the premium that provides that specific blend of our era music, live or otherwise, with our cultural background TV channels, and with attentive exotic women in thier twenties. 

The alternative is to get your Thai wife/LTR to take you out with her own group of friends to venues such as White House on the Ping River.

Which is a great night out, as it's a venue that does nothing but Classic Thai Rock. The craic there is strong, but don't expect to meet anyone new, much less anyone under 30. You have to BYO company. 

I don't go to bars to watch TV, I don't care what kind of music so long as it isn't so loud as to drown out conversation, and regarding the attentive exotic women in their twenties, it's clear you never went to BlarBlar when it was open.